Blade Runout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runout

I want to know what you all think about this? I purchased a new ts blade yesterday, the 10" combination from United States Saw (Oldham). Initial cuts with it were very smooth with little tearout. Today I made a zero clearance insert for my saw and found out something interesting about my new blade. After making my initial slot in the insert with a smaller blade I installed my new 10" blade and proceeded to finish the slot through the insert. Upon doing this I noticed an awful lot of noise from the blade dragging against the insert. I yanked the insert out and put my dial indicator to my new blade and was astonished by what the dial indicator was reading. Through one revolution of the blade it ran out 10/1000 and I was turning it with the motor pulley. However I knew I had removed the stabilizer that comes with the blade due to the fact I made my insert out of 3/4 plywood and I had not made a slot for it on the underside yet. I installed the stabilizer back on the arbor with the blade and took another reading. This time I read about 2/1000 out. My question is do you think the blade should be that far out without the included stabilizer or not? I checked the arbor and it was fine and I also checked the blade that came on the saw and it was out maybe 3/1000 with no stabilizer. So what do you all think?

Gregg

Hundreth inch is pushing it, to be sure. I assume you are listing TIR, otherwise it is way too high.

But, it sounds like Oldham intends this blade to be only used with the supplied stabilizer? If that's the case, you were running with an "unauthorized modification", and all bets are off.

Two thou is pretty nice, I think I'd leave that stabilizer on.

Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,
      It looks like I have to have the stablizer on. However according to the packaging the blade supposed to fine without it. I believe the stabilizer is referred to as a silencer/dampner on the package. What ever it is it surely makes the blade run truer. By TIR do you mean the total run out counting both readings on either side of zero and adding them together? Actually the reading I got ran out to 10 and then settled back to zero. I thought that would be an awful lot for only one way on the dial indicator but I spun it around again and read the same again. Thanks for the reply Dave.
      Gregg

Comment

TIR is total indicated. Measures from closest point to farthest. Runout can also be indicated as half that, being the amount from the theoretic centerpoint. It's kind of confusing.

You might ask Oldham what their spec is for the blade. My guess is it's out of spec, and they should replace it for you if you want.

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X