Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polyurethane.....Bubbles & More Bubbles

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
    I used minwax in my previous home with no trouble. make sure you don't shake the can at all. If you open it and see bubbles, take the can back.
    I did one room with a lambs wool roller, and wasn't impressed, it wasn't a Bad finish, just a little uneven when sunlight hit it. I actually had the best luck with a 3" natural bristled brush, and a lot of patience.
    I didn't know what I was doing!!!
    No brush no rollers on hand. I cut the leg off of an old pair of pajamas ( flannel). I added some mineral spirits to thin out the poly, not much. I stirred it easy so it was mixed well with an old file. I dipped the rolled up pajama leg into a large dia. pan and applied it to the floor without moving it around too much, just enough to cover. The poly seemed to settle in and smooth itself out. The reason I thinned the poly was I told by some one(Don't remember who) that is better to thin the stuff and go with 2-3 coats.
    Thats exactly what I did and the floor came out like glass. Call me lucky Buck!

Buck

Comment

+1 for thinning.
      I use Minwax poly all the rime but I never had any bubbles. I always thin it but not to get rid of bubbles, but rather for ease of application. It brushes on easier when thinned and in the end I don't mind an extra coat or two that I have to apply.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Seems like I remember thinning too.

J.C.

Comment

You are agitating the finish too much and introducing bubbles into it. If you stirred too much you added bubbles there, the roller added bubbles.

I usually pour the poly in a strip on the floor and just drag a lambswool pad through it, trying not to disturb it just to distribute it on the floor. It's self leveling and will even itself out. Don't over work it and it should do just fine. I've never had a problem with Minwax products using this technique.

Comment

I've only done small projects needing polyurethane, and agree that minwax products can be a pain. Can't make suggestions for a project as large as doing an entire floor, but for others out there doing small projects, I suggest Cabot's line of products. Not sure if HD carries it, though I know Lowes does for sure. Their polyurethane spray that comes in an aerosol can is great for finishing small projects, it's self leveling and dries fast. Only drawback is that it's pricier than the non-spray stuff. I've never had problems with bubbles when using the spray on poly.

Comment

buckb makes an excellent point. the thinning creates a wiping varnish, which characteristically flows out and settles better while drying faster. it is almost foolproof. that is the upside. the downside is that because each coat is thinner, more coats are needed. i recently helped a friend refinish a set of stair treads. we applied 6 coats of whatever minwax poly product he had, but the minwax was thinned with mineral spirits 1:1. we used a combination of foam brushes and old t-shirts. sanded with 220 between coats. turned out very well. good luck.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thinning about 80% poly to 20% MS helps slow the drying and aids in self leveling. I pour some out onto the surface and spread with a plastic spreader like used for body filler. If needed, sand with 400-600 grit between coats, anything courser will remove too much finish and wood and requires more coats.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'm in the process of finishing a little blanket box seater. I know it's not a floor but just for the heck of it, and with this thread in mind, I did an experiment. I thinned high gloss Minwax poly, 8 part poly, 2 parts thinner. I mixed in an empty Bick's baby dills jar. No stirring, I just shook the heck out of the mixture producing gazzillions of little bubbles in the mixture. Brushing on was flawless. No bubbles.

Thus, I reccommend the use of empty Bick's baby dill jars.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                    Thus, I reccommend the use of empty Bick's baby dill jars.
                    After having read this entire thread, then your post, I just had to say
                    "great laugh"!

Comment

I think thinning is the key then. we just got another 4 bedroom full house refinishing job, and im making sure to thin it.

Did you use mineral spirits to thin? Also, did you use the water-based poly, or the oil based?
                      Last edited by tonytwotime; 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you might be applying too much material. If you get it on too thick you'll get bubbles. If you thin the material but still lay it on too thick, you'll get more bubbles. You have to keep your coats very thin with polyurethane. Sometimes it is too thick out of the can and you can't help but get it on too thick. Thinning a bit will often help this.

But be careful thinning. A bit is ok, but if you over-thin, with many poly's they will lose durability. I try not to thin more than 10%. It's not like lacquer where you can thin 100% and be fine.

Polyurethane is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytwotime View Post
                          Did you use mineral spirits to thin? Also, did you use the water-based poly, or the oil based?
                          I use the oil based poly, thinned with mineral spirits indeed.

Sounds like you might be applying too much material. If you get it on too thick you'll get bubbles.

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          Sounds like you might be applying too much material. If you get it on too thick you'll get bubbles.
                          That is a valid point.

Comment

Working...
                          X