X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyurethane.....Bubbles & More Bubbles

Im refinishing a hardwood floor, and need some help with how to apply polyurethane finishing, without getting bubbles. I've sanded this floor 6 times, and recoated with minwax polyurethane, and get millions of tiny bubbles, every time. I've adjusted the temp in the house, and applied while 65 degrees, and applied while 80 degrees. I've used everything that is recommended for application. sponges, poly rollers, lambscloth, and nothing but bubbles. I've used drum sanders, oscillators, belts, hand sanders.

Ive already lost my *** as far as money is concerned. I just need to get it done, so I don't end up in court. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Polyurethane.....Bubbles & More Bubbles

Not being a fan of MinWax products my first suggestion would be to switch your brand of poly. Bubbles was the primary reason I quit using MinWax poly.

You can also get bubbles if you over work the application. Try just putting the finish down, spread it around as evenly as possible then just leave it alone to self settle.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Dave. What brands would you recommend? Also, whats the best way to apply? (roller, lambscloth, etc.) I've been rolling from a paint pan, like you would if you were painting a room. When you say "put the finish down, spread it around as evenly as possible" do you mean dump it, and spread it out?

Comment

rolling is probably not a good way to apply poly. the lifting of the roller knap from the floor disturbs the finish causing irregularities. a lambswool applicator will help that situation. most of the pros i've watched have never shaken their finishes to mix them, careful sstirring seems to be their approach. in applying the finish, they have poured the amount they want to apply, a little at a time, and then spread it on the floor in passes that are parallel to the direction in which the floor is running. also, you might try this product:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8571

http://www.prattandlambert.com/produ...loss/index.jsp

it seems to be very well regarded. good luck.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yea, I've been rolling with a specific polyurethane roller, and its just bubbles everywhere.

Any idea who carries pratt and lambert? Im guessing lowes and home depot don't. I've never seen it there, anyway. Im thinking its more of a dealer type situation.

Comment

If you click on FINER9998's P&L link your find a box where you can enter you zip code to find the closest retail dealers to you.

I've had very good experiences using the ZAR product line of poly's.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

rollers and shaking the poly will put bubbles in it, use a brush or a foam brush on small projects, (I do not know how it will work on a floor), I would consider a lambs wool applicator on a handle.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've had very good experiences using the ZAR product line of poly's.
                What did you apply with? Did you pour out of the can, and spread it?

BHD, I used a foam brush and got bubbles. Everyone I've talked to says that they've never seen anyone have this much trouble. I've brushed slow and fast, light and heavy, using everything I know of. This is my first floor refinish, so of course, it has to be a freaking nightmare.

Comment

I used a older type of product on my floors, called gym coat seal which is a polymerized tung oil and a Phenolic varnish mix, some use other oils mixed in as well, not quite as hard but very easy, part of the product I used was http://www.waterlox.com/ but it stinks like $%*( , its not a stinky smell but exceptional strong,
                  I found some other I had used in my wood working I liked and finished it up, but it is getting very hard to locate as it is a solvent based and meeting EPA standards are harder than a few years ago. (if you use this you nearly have to move out for a few days if you use the water lox product), other products may not be as strong, I know the other stuff I had used early was not near as strong, (I still sleep in the barn a few night),

I never have had good luck with polys my self,

many floor guys are using water based polys now, and there from professional flooring coatings manufactures, not the hardware store brands.

this is one company,
                  http://www.amazon.com/Fabulon-Profes.../dp/B001OXYG7K
                  or
                  http://www.lewiscontractorsales.com/fabulon.html

here is a web site that show a number of professional floor finishes,
                  http://www.harvesterfloors.com/Merch...de=finishes_01

Bona is another company,

the fabalon is many times sold via rental locations,

I have not any of the urethane floor products,

some flooring forums that may be able to help,
                  http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com/forum/
                  http://www.floormasters.com/community/viewforum.php?f=1
                  http://www.thefloorpro.com/
                  Last edited by BHD; 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I used minwax in my previous home with no trouble. make sure you don't shake the can at all. If you open it and see bubbles, take the can back.
                    I did one room with a lambs wool roller, and wasn't impressed, it wasn't a Bad finish, just a little uneven when sunlight hit it. I actually had the best luck with a 3" natural bristled brush, and a lot of patience.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Never having refinished a floor, I can't offer anything of real help.
                      But I am wondering if thinning the poly would help with the bubbles and getting a more even finish.

I think a roller and shaking are out for sure as has been said. I never shake finishes such as poly or shellac to mix them, always stir slowly until a homogeneous mix is achieved.

I did a small project once that I used MinWax poly on and had problems with bubbles, drove me nuts.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

We can't seem get rid of the bubbles, no matter what. It really doesn't matter to us what it takes, we just need to get it on without bubbles in it. Thanks guys.

Comment

are their bubbles visible while the finish is in the container?
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

We've just been going by the minwax can. dont shake, just stir gently. there were some bubbles in the can from travel, im guessing. just a few though. i just have a hard time thinking a few bubbles in the can is the reason for millions of bubbles, after application. thanks again for help.

Comment

Put it on with a good bristle brush. Gotta' hustle so as not to "lap" the finish.

Since you've had so much trouble, it might be worth the time to buy or setup a couple of square feet of comparable wood flooring at your shop or house. Then you can work to see what combination looks like it's going to work out. Easier to let 2 square feet dry & check than a whole room-then finding out you have to start over.

Grandfather sanded floors for many years.

J.C.
                              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-21-2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X