X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade suggestion for TS3612

Just bought the TS3612 and have partly assembled it and would like recommendations on an upgraded blade replacement. Will probably cutting more pine then plywood and would like to install a premium blade. Just don't know which one.....also, has anyone ever upgraded the belt for the unit and if so with what and was any difference noted. Thank you in advance for your replies...

Forrest Woodworker II 40-tooth combination blade.

I'm still amazed after using it for a year.

Congrats on your 3612!

rotsa ruck & bee safe

Rodney J in TX

Comment

Systimatic Glue Rip!
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I agree with the Forrest WWII blade, it is excellent. I have several other blades for "special" applications (Melanine/Formica, etc), and a "junk" blade for general carpentry, but I use the WWII 95% of the time.

Amazon has them for a great price. When you throw in no sales tax, and free shipping, the price is in line with other top of the line blades.
        Mark

Comment

I use a Forrest WWII regular 40T (1/8") kerf on my 3612. It works flawlessly. I used use three blades, (Freud Ultimate Cutoff, Rip and Combo). Now I only use one, and the cuts are better in all modalities. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all so much.....also, would someone tell me if I should use a zero clearance insert when I order and receive the WWII blade. Again, thank you!!

Comment

After using my first zero clearance insert, I would not make a cut I cared about without one. Tearout is greatly minimized. To maximize your investment in your saw and blades definitely use the zci. I was amazed at the difference.

Based on past posts on this forum, I modified my OEM insert, both dado and standard with a piece of hardwood held in by 4 countersunk screws. I used my 8" dado blade to pave the way for my 10". I just have to say here that as much as I like my 2424 I think it was really poor design to not allow the blade to drop further to allow for a home made zci. I've not heard great reviews about the new Ridgid zci. Not trashing Ridgid here - just bought the thickness planer and the jointer.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

You may want to consider the Freud LU84R011. I have one on my 3612 and like it a lot. Not too bad at ~$40-50.

Comment

Forest WW [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] ll RULES ! I have 9 other blades collecting dust ( except when cutting PT wood, then I will use one of the dust collectors )

Comment

The WWII looks like a guaranteed safe bet. For a less expensive option, Fine Woodworking rated the US Saw combination blade a close second to the WWII. This blade is made by Oldham and sells for about $40 at Lowes and HD. I haven't used it yet, but plan to buy one when I make a decision on my new TS. Don't look for something that says US Saw! It's actually sold as the "Woodworker's Signature" blade with a picture of a woodworker right on the blade. (US Saw in fine print). You can find an online reference at http://www.oldham-usa.com/Main.htm .

Comment

i was very close to purchasing a woodworker II but i settled on the CMT general. one hell of a blade. i have heard good things about the Amana line of blades as well
                      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

spaceblue...
                        I would be interested in further comments on your experience with the CMT General. I have just begun to use some CMT router bits myself. Are you using the General as all purpose blade? I have considered a "glue line rip" from Freud or Systimatic for ripping and have also heard great things about the Freud LU84, which I believe is a combo blade.
                        Alan
                        My Shop

Comment

I just received the Woodcraft flyer for December. They have the Forrest blades on sale $89.99 - $99.99. I think now may be a good time for me to move up.
                          Bill

Comment

Alan

i couldnt be happier with the CMT general. i am using it as an all purpose blade. the only problem i had with it in the beginning is that it would burn the wood a bit on miter cuts. mainly on hard wood. i picked up a set of stabilizers from carbide.com (same place i bought my blade) and it solved that problem. as far as the glue joint freud blade i cant tell you how it compares as it wasnt available when i bought my general. i did buy a cmt rip blade as well because i was ripping a lot of oak and poplar for a project a few mos ago, and the only reason i did is that i did not want to dull my general more quickly because of the constant hard wood ripping. it would have done a great job had i only needed to rip a few boards. if you dont do a lot of ripping at one time the general, in my opinion is the only blade you need. but invest in the stabilizers if you plan to do a lot of miter cuts

ed
                            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Ed

Thanks for the reply to my questions. I'll definitely keep the CMT General in mind when it's time for a new blade.
                              Alan
                              My Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X