X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP0610 Fence

I am just getting back into wood working after a very long absence.I recently bought a JP0610 from my local HD and when I got it together I noticed a high spot on the bottom of the fence downstream of the cutter opening which allows the fence to rock when it sits on the jointer bed. I can't imagine this is right. Anyone out there have any advice?????

How much rocking are we takling about? My jointer rock 1/32".
    Andy B.

Comment

Over 1/4 inch !

Comment

If the fence support mechanism behind the fence is tightened down securely, the fence should not rock. Is this something that happens during normal operation with lateral pressure from the board, or only if applying direct pressure on top of the fence? If it's the latter I wouldn't worry too much about unless it really bothers you. The former could pose a problem. Either way you're entitled to an exchange, because it's doesn't sound right.

Comment

Yes, the fence support is tight and I made sure it was aligned and flush with the bed. It doesn't rock during normal operation, but is difficult sometimes to slide back and forth. From the replies I've received it seems to me it obviously was not ground right at the factory. I have contacted Ridgid customer support and they said to go back to my Home Depot and see if they would give me a fence from one in stock. When I called (and after I explained what a jointer was) the Home Depot rep proceeded to tell me they have never sold them!! I bought this two weeks ago! Called back the next day and mysteriously one had appeared in stock overnight! Now they have to talk to Ridgid about it! I think I might just lug it back out of the basement and go buy a Grizzly(Muncy, Pa is only an hour away) Thanks for all the help and replies, Im sure I'll be back on this board with more questions!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymartini:
            I think I might just lug it back out of the basement and go buy a Grizzly(Muncy, Pa is only an hour away)
            You lucky dog ! [img]smile.gif[/img] I drove 500 miles round trip to get my Grizzly tools. (See my posts on Muncy and Grizzly). As the AAA guide books say "Allow at least 4 hrs browsing time". [img]smile.gif[/img]
            That place is "totally awesome dude".
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Yes...It really is the "Mother" of all equipment displays. I am lucky to live so close..I should have bought the Grizzly jointer when I was there, but the 0% financing at HD changed my mind...like the Ridgid 90 day satisfaction warranty reads.....if you don't like it for ANY reason........

Comment

dm,

I also had this same question a couple of months back. No one knew then either. I have an older grey model and it also has this "raised" portion. Every other jp0610 I have seen also does, as do the new orange models. The machining in this area also appears good and not simple somehting missed but a part of the design. If I have the big orange knob in the picture snugged up as you should the fence does not move. It also reliably returns to 90 degree on the very few times I have ever changed it. I have thought about putting some non-skid surface so the bed won't get scratched.

I have found it frustrating when trying to get simple questions like this answered. Most of our first instinct is, "It's not right, itsa POS, and I shoulda bought xyz." When if a question was answered with a little bit professional knowledge many of the buyer's questions/fears would be anwsered. The jp0610 is a nice piece of iron.

Chris

Comment

I would say that the high spot is intentional. Without some clearance under the majority of the fence, wood shavings might become stuck and interfere with smooth material feed. I temporarily set a formica chip under the high spot when adjusting my fence for even more clearance and to compensate for the fact that the fence height varies across the table on mine. Although my infeed and outfeed tables are commendably flat and parallel, the fence height varies .025" with respect to the outfeed table when moved from one side to the other. Apparently the fence bracket to main body interface is not machined perfectly square. I probably could have returned it for that issue but it doesn't really hurt anything. I just can't set the fence down tight and extend it to the dado position since it would ride up on the outfeed table. This may be part of the difficulty you are having with sliding the fence across.
                  Personally, I don't think the fence should ever touch the outfeed table as it will cut a groove eventually. This is really the main flaw with the JP610 (and many others on the market) IMO. When you release the clamp, the fence drops down on the table. A linear actuator of some type would be better. Lacking the income to buy better tools though, I make due by sticking a formica shim under the fence when moving it sideways.

One final note on exchanging things for minor issues - the new one might not be as good as the one you had.

Comment

Chris,
                    Thanks for the pictures, I didn't have anything to compare mine to, my local HD doesn't have one setup to look at. I think what got me so wound up was the lack of help from Ridgid customer support...like you said
                    When if a question was answered with a little bit professional knowledge many of the buyer's questions/fears would be anwsered.
                    I'll see if I can figure out how to include a picture of my fence here.

Bytebutcher, I appreciate your input too, I feel much better about my decision...The Ridgid was my first choice, I have the TS2412 saw and the 6" orbital sander, I have always like Ridgid tools having been around them since I was a kid(long time ago!)However reading posts that they have sold out to Ryobi makes me a little sick. And believe it or not....I actually like the funky orange scheme

Comment

I hope you realize that Ryobi BS is just that, BS.
                      [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Lorax

Comment

Yes...that little Ryobi is quite a bandsaw isn't it?

Comment

Hewood,
                          [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] LMAO
                          Lorax

Comment

When the knob is loose, the fence on my JP610 rocks like crazy, but rests above the table. But with the knob tight, the fence is held absolutely steady slightly above both infeed and outfeed tables. This seems like it should be.

I really like this jointer. Excellent stability, quality, and adjustability. A great 6 inch unit at any price. Wouldn't trade it for any other 6 inch jointer.

The only thing I would change is size. I do wish it were 8 inches or more - top grade hardwood is cut at least 6 1/2 inches when green so it will still be a full 6 inches rough when dry. Since that is the minimum to get FAS grade, a lot of boards are slightly too wide for a 6 inch jointer. And if you only do the edges on a jointer, you are missing the real value of the machine ....

Comment

I have had my 610 for over a year. It is a great jointer that is a very close kin in my opinion, to the Jet. The raised portion on the bottom edge of the fence seems to be a designed feature. My fence locks rock solid at any of the angles I set - usually 90). I doubt you will find a better six inch jointer at anywhere near the price.

Best wishes,

Mike Narges

Comment

Working...
                              X