Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer technique

Oh Boy,

I bought some maple to replace a slide-out plywood cutting board in our lake house.
    I am glueing and butting 3 5-1/2" by 20" long pieces using the biscuit method.
    I went to joint the boards and flattened them pretty well, and then went to true up the sides.
    I ended up creating a board that kept getting gaps on the ends rather than straight. If I keep going it gets worse.
    The maple seemed pretty straight to begin with, but it kept getting worse. I finally had to put it on the 3650 tablesaw, with a sled to bring it back

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?
    Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the convex side, and once you proceed it only gets worse.

Re: jointer technique

Could be that you are putting too much downward pressure to the board on the infeed side of the cutter head. Once the leading edge of the board passes the cutter head you should be applying most of the downward pressure on the board at the outfeed side of the cutting head.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll give it a try Dave.

The board seems to very slightly "catch" on the lip of the outfeed table when approaching. Wondering if I have to dial indicate the cutters up a bit.
      It's a cheapo "Delta" that may have issues.

Comment

The outfeed side of the table should be level with the knives at their highest point. I don't know what you can or can't adjust on that Delta, outfeed table or cutter head, but one or the other should be adjusted. If the head is what you end up having to adjust then you should check the level of the infeed side also to make sure it's still lower than the cutters.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Have a look at this thread

Comment

Working...
          X