X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenon Jig & Router Wing Table

I finally got around to finishing some of my projects 100% inspired by you guys in these forums.

The first one is a tenon jig designed after the one onedkcharette posted. I made a few changes. I mounted the clamp on a piece of maple to help hold the work more securely. I also used a T-track so I could move it to accommodate wider stock. When pulled tight to the work and clamped, it is very ridgid (pun intended).
    Picture 3 shows that I used dados to aid in accuracy by limiting movement of the inner sled. Notice the slight gap? That was intentional - see next sentence.
    Picture 4 shows the unit moved out of the base to expose 2 of 4 round head wood screws that fine tune the inner sled to make it perfectly square to the blade as seen in picture 5.
    Picture 6 shows that the threaded rod is held to the plastic knob with a locking acorn nut on each side and I threaded the through hole - circled. This sled is very snug with zero play side to side or up and down.
    Pictures 7, 8, and 10 are self explanatory. I doubled up the thickness above the movable fence so I can clamp additional feather boards if necessary. I have more plastic knobs ordered (you keen observers will notice that I have one missing).
    In picture 9 I tried to show how I fastened the router table. I have 3 crossers with tenons on each end that span from rail to rail and they fit into the slots on the inside of each rail.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hacksaw123; 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM.

Re: Tenon Jig & Router Wing Table

i really like the t-track idea. maybe i should try that with mine.

your projects look awesome. jigs etc are always a fun build.

Comment

Originally posted by onedkcharette View Post
      i really like the t-track idea. maybe i should try that with mine.

your projects look awesome. jigs etc are always a fun build.
      The t-track was an afterthought after staring at your pictures and wondering what would happen if the board tilted half way through the cut. I was going to add a second clamp bu decided a t-slot would suffice for both. It clamps down and puts side pressure on the board. I may build it better at a later date because you always find faults in the first one. There are a few things I would do differently.
      Last edited by Hacksaw123; 06-28-2009, 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Looks real good! How did you fasten the wing to the cast iron top?
        Thanks,
        Richard

Comment

It's hard to see in the pictures but picture 9 you can barely make out the tenon on one of the stretchers. I used three maple 1 x 2's with tenons on each end that fit into the 1/4" grooves on the inside of the rails. They fit firmly (it took a while to keep fine tuning them - starting by oversizing and trimming until they just barely fit) in place but once I screwed the top to them, they became almost unmovable as a complete unit. If I grab the table and pull on it with moderate force, it will move a bit but It is solid enough for me. The table basically floats but it is tighter than it would seem, just due to friction.

Comment

Working...
          X