X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Combo Kits

I am looking at getting a router combo kit for doing dovetail on my porter cable 4216 dovetail jig and also looking at doing mortise and tenon for building furniture and etc. The question I have is that I have been looking at the Ridgid R2930 router combo and the Bosch 1617EVSPK, dose anyone out there have any experience with both of these, that could give me some helpful information to help me make my decision?

Sincerely
    Buzzy

Re: Router Combo Kits

While I have never used the Bosch router that you mentioned, I can highly recommend the RIDGID kit. It is plenty powerful, easy to operate, and comes very well equipped. Both bases have clear sub-base plates. One has the smaller center hole for guide bushings and the other has a larger hole for bigger diameter bits. They are interchangable too, so you can use either on both bases. I wouldn't say that it is my absolute favorite router, but it is the only multi-base kit that I own. I use it mostly as a plunge, since I have other fixed-base routers for other tasks. The pluge mechanism is very smooth.

Comment

Are they still making the 2930 kits? I noticed they are no longer available on any HD stores here. Interestingly they now a have a ridgid made bushing kit for it. The lack of accessories was always one of the crawbacks to this kit. There's a lot of good kits in that price range. Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch make some really good ones. The Ridgid kit is very good with some relatively minor drawbacks. You can do a search and find a lot of info on them here.

Comment

I would look at the makita RF1101KIT2. I have had this kit for five years still going strong.
        Andy B.

Comment

I run the Bosch 1617EVSPK in my table and it works really well. Its strong enough to plow some serious wood. You should have enough power to do most everything you will need in your shop. Once you get used to the adjustments they are solid and pretty accurate. I have not had a hiccup (knock on wood) with mine. There was a time when that model had on/off switch issues but i think they have been ironed out.
          That being said, i have noticed alot of mention on the hitachi 3hp models and they seem to have a huge following. I may end up adding the hitachi to my table as a dedicated router and use the bosch with the plunge etc.

Comment

I use the Bosch 1617EVSPK, which is a dual base kit. The fixed base works very well in my router table, plenty of power. The plunge base also works well when I need it.

One drawback for me is the slick wooden handles. Here in Florida, perspiration and the slick handle surface can lead to losing my grip. (My wife will say that it is not just on the router).

If you plan on using guide bushings, other than Bosch, you will need to purchase an adapter.

Comment

I have the Ridgid 2930 kit and it's a great router, lots of features, relatively quiet motor, soft start, electronic speed control, lighted base, micro adjustment on the plunge base, etc. Very smooth operation with no vibration, and fairly nice balance.

I use mine almost exclusively in my router table, as the motor is plenty strong.

Often mentioned is the "lack of accessories". Personally, I think that should read "lack of Ridgid-brand accessories"... as I have found many Porter-Cable accessories like the edge guide, guide bushings, etc. fit the Ridgid perfectly. Rockler even makes a table plate for it, and I've purchased "P-C Standard" guide bushings from Lee-Valley that are a perfect fit.

I don't have any experience with the other recommended routers and I'm sure they are a very popular and worthy choice too. One should not pass up the 3-year warranty and the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement offered on the Ridgid 2930 combo, as I think that is an added feature.

If you do a Google search, I'm sure you will find a couple of decent reviews. Better yet, I posted in response to an earlier inquirey and the review links are there: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23510

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 06-27-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I had a Bosch 1617 for my dovetail jig, but ended up swapping it for a smaller Hitachi that's lighter and easier to maneuver.

Comment

Ha ! I bought a Ryobi from one of those traveling refurb. tool shows. You know the ones pawning no name imported refurbished crap. LOL. I beat that thing, it takes most if not all of my angst. Then I throw it in my box.
                  My Bosch is in pristine condition.

Comment

Stoke,

I'm not sure how old your Ryobi refurbished router is... I have a really old Ryobi-made Craftsman from the 70's, the Ryobi R161 which came with the router table-combo (2004), and a 3-base R1802M with electronic speed contro. (2005 or 2006).... all of these were made in America! (Anderson, SC I believe) They are all in good working order.

CWS

Comment

I bought the dewalt 3 base router kit (2 1/4 HP variable speed motor) - I have had a great experience with it. The fixed base lives in the router table, and the plunge base and D-Handle base I use for all hand held tasks. Came with all 3 bases, a decent edge guide, centeringd pin, dust collection gear, extra machine screws, etc. It was a good deal at 299 from HD.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        Stoke,

I'm not sure how old your Ryobi refurbished router is... I have a really old Ryobi-made Craftsman from the 70's, the Ryobi R161 which came with the router table-combo (2004), and a 3-base R1802M with electronic speed contro. (2005 or 2006).... all of these were made in America! (Anderson, SC I believe) They are all in good working order.

CWS
                        It's really surprised me, I didn't expect to last as long as it did. Throwing it in my box and all.
                        (mine has a few more scratches than the one pictured)
                        Attached Files

Comment

It looks like my Ryobi R161, that came with the router table combo. The table itself is small, but certainly not bad for a starter table. I think I paid $78 for the table and the router, NIB, back in 2003 when Home Depot had a 20% sale during the holiday season.

The only flaw with the table is that the top is aluminum and if you left the router hanging from it, it would sag after a period of time. I just retract the motor and then turn the table upside down for storage. But, very rarely use that anymore. It makes for a nice backup though.

I suppose as long as a router turns true, and doesn't have any safety concerns, what can go wrong. I realize that you could probably burn out a poorly made motor, but even if you keep the tool half-way clean, it would probably last you a good long time. Frankly I've been surprised by this little single-speed R161. I had a guy put in a laminate floor at my Painted Post home and he ended up using my R161 to cut all the "fitting" pieces around the molding, etc. He burned up two bits doing the job, but the R161 handled the job without hesitation.

My 3-base R1802 router combo also performs very well. I actually like the plunge base better than the Ridgid model, as the lock lever is easier to actuate. Only problem is that the motor housing swells and the two fixed bases lockup. Ryobi had a real problem with that model and even to this day they deny any knowledge of it. I had a new housing sent to me, but it was so out of tolerance that it wouldn't fit. Again, Ryobi didn't care to answer that question either.

I think the 1802 was the last "Made in U.S.A" router. Nicely designed and feature rich, but poor quality control on the motor housing and even worse quality in the technical service recording and resolution of the problem.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                          X