X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-flammable solvent

i am new to this forum and also a beginner in woodworking. i just bought a ridgid jointer and the manual says to use a solvent like mineral spirits to take the protective coating (used during shipping) off the jointer table. is there a non-flammable solvent that i can use to clean the protective coating off my new jointer? any response is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Yes, but you gotta be careful. I start by using a plastic scraper to get the bulk of the guck off, or it will take longer than forever. Then, to remove the remaining guck, Simple Green straight out of the bottle (it's concentrated) works well.

Here is where you have to be careful. Simple Green is water-based, and you have just exposed raw cast iron. It will begin to rust literally in minutes.

What I do from here involves a flammable spray, I don't know how much a problem this will be. I spray the machine down fairly liberally with WD40. The WD part stands for "water displacer". I scrub it around some with a medium ScotchBrite, then wipe it back off. Then, I finish immediately with a good coat of furniture wax (like Johnson's), letting it dry and buffing it off.

It's a fair amount of work, but my Ridgid jointer is coming up on 2 1/2 years old, and the tables look like new. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

There are non-flammable cleaners such as the simple green that Dave mentioned, there is no real safety hazard in using a mineral spirits or other solvent. There are no ignition sources on that machine and once you are done let the tables sit for 1/2 an hour and all the solvent will have evaporated away.

Jake

Comment

thanks for the replies. one more question, how about on the ridgid planer can i use any water based cleaners e.g. 409 on the planer (manual says not to use any volatile solvents).

thanks,

Comment

Working...
        X