Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good set of router bits to start with?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good set of router bits to start with?

I've pretty much narrowed down my upcoming router purchase to either the 2 1/4 Ridgid fixed/plunge or the 2 1/4 Bosch fixed/plunge. I have a 10% off at Home Depot coupon that expires in 2 weeks, so I'm going with a router that's in stock at HD or Lowes in my area.

Since a router isn't a whole lot of use without any bits, I was thinking of getting this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-8377-Rout..._bxgy_hi_img_b

Is this a good choice for a starter set? Any other recommendations?

Re: Is this a good set of router bits to start with?

Iv'e used the MLCS bits in the past, they are fine. Might not be the hardest carbide in the world but fifteen 1/2" shank carbide bits in a wooden box for 40 bucks is hard to beat. As far as the routers go I like the bosch set. Iv'e got a bosch router that's almost 20 years old that still works great! I'm sure the ridgid is a good router but I don't have any experience with them.

millman

Comment

I'll probably go with those then, the price certainly is good, but I didn't want to end up buying a set that won't last me a long time.

Comment

MLCS is decent, at a good price. This set seems to be priced very well. There's a few bits in that set you might not use often or at all, but for $40 you can't go far wrong,

BTW, I hope you took a look at the Porter Cable routers. I've had very good luck with PC routers.

Good luck,

Andy

Comment

I've got this precise set. I picked it up a long while back on a super sale. I'm a fan of MLCS bits. They're not Whiteside, by any stretch, but they get the job done and for a lot less cash.

Three things to say about this set:
          > I've used all but 5 of them. (I haven't used the dovetail bit, panel pilot, round nose, chamfer, or v-groove). I have needs for those, but I have lots of other bits with the same profile and have continued to use those thus far.
          > They are nicely made with a 1/2" shank and come sharp as a razor. I clean all my bits between uses and take careful care of them. I haven't had any poor cutting results or issues from any of these, except for one:
          > I broke the 1/4" straight bit doing some dadoes. I surprised me, and thankfully it was a dado and not some other type of cut (i.e. the bit blade was fully contained and not a risk to flying off and striking me). I'll confess it was probably my fault, as I was cutting (trying at least) 1/4" x 1/4" dadoes in a single pass in plywood.

I have a fairly sizable collection of MLCS bits (hrrm.. probably 40), in addition to an assortment of Freud, Whiteside, Lee Valley, Rockler, WoodCraft, Bosch, Porter-Cable, and Ryobi to compare against. (and ugh, Woodline)
          I continue to buy MLCS bits, because the price-point/performance is definitely good.

Comment

For your first set I would recommend you buy better bits and different bits from those in that set. The set I would recommend for a beginner is this one from Infinity $ 99 (or same bits from your favorite mfg).
            I use all these regularly, the only substitution I would make is a down-cut carbide spiral for the 1/2" straight cut but that would increase the price substantially. These bits are the core of almost every project.
            You will find that the 3/8" round over is HUGE, when all you want to do is relieve the sharpness of an edge. Twice the price for half the bits may seem extreme but the bit are better quality and have more uses. The Rabbet portion of the kit is worth more than the entire MLCS set, that should tell you all you need.

Comment

I'd recommend the 1/2"-inch shank Whiteside set available from Holbren for $88:
              http://www.holbren.com/whiteside-mul...nk.html?&cat=0

It includes:
              1/4" Straight
              1/2" Straight
              3/8" Radius Round Over
              3/8" x 1/2" Rabbet
              3/8" Radius Cove
              45 degree Chamfer1/2" Flush Trim

10% off is also to be had through Sawmill Creek discount code and possibly others.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                For your first set I would recommend you buy better bits and different bits from those in that set. The set I would recommend for a beginner is this one from Infinity $ 99 (or same bits from your favorite mfg).
                I use all these regularly, the only substitution I would make is a down-cut carbide spiral for the 1/2" straight cut but that would increase the price substantially. These bits are the core of almost every project.
                You will find that the 3/8" round over is HUGE, when all you want to do is relieve the sharpness of an edge. Twice the price for half the bits may seem extreme but the bit are better quality and have more uses. The Rabbet portion of the kit is worth more than the entire MLCS set, that should tell you all you need.
                I've gotta go with wbrooks on this one. That's a darn nice set, and that rabbeting bit with the interchangeable bearings IS worth most of the price of that set. Hadn't seen this set before.. wish I had long ago!

Comment

Buy bits as you need them and you will never waste money on bits you do not use.

Comment

It's hard to argue with that choice to start with. They're reasonable quality bits, have a reasonable selection of the more common profiles, are reasonably cheap, and have great customer service. You're not out a bunch of cash if you destroy one while you learn. My 15 pc MLCS set lasted close to 4 years before I upgraded to Infinity and Whiteside bits.

Comment

Working...
                    X