Latex paint in a HVLP sprayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latex paint in a HVLP sprayer

I have a Husky HDS890 and i am looking to repaint old 6 planel doors in our home. Am i able to use my HVLP sprayer or should i go and purchase a airless wagner HVLP sprayer?

Also, what is the best method to thin latex paint in spray applications?

Thanks

Re: Latex paint in a HVLP sprayer

Im not familiar with that exact model, but I was able to spray BMoore Impervo waterborne using my HF HVLP gun.

It really depends on the nozzle size (1.3, 1.4mm, etc) how much you have to thin. I found success at 10% water, 5% FloTrol (available in paint dept of HD/Lowes). I needed more than one coat, but the job (5 new 6 panel doors) went so quick with the sprayer I didnt mind doing the 2nd coat. And I used a whole lot less paint than I would have if I used a brush and roller.

Comment

What does it say in your Owners Manual? The manual should have a section detailing what you can and can't spray with their unit.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

it does say i can spray latex paint, but does not give a paint to water ratio for thinning. i really wanted to see if anyone had better luck with an electric wagner HVLP sprayer vs one on a compressor.

Comment

they sell a "viscosity cup" sometimes called a zahn cup.

It is a small cup with a hole in the bottom. There is a scale that tells you how quickly the cup should empty for different products. You thin until it drains at the proper speed.

Some are expensive but there are plastic versions that are very reasonably priced. It's a good way to get started. After you've sprayed a while you don't need them very often, but it will help until you get a feel for it.

http://www.finishwiz.com/viscosityandwetmils.htm

Gleem is a good source for inexpensive equipment online.

http://www.gleempaint.com/viscosity-cup.html

Comment

Originally posted by aallman27 View Post
            it does say i can spray latex paint, but does not give a paint to water ratio for thinning. i really wanted to see if anyone had better luck with an electric wagner HVLP sprayer vs one on a compressor.
            Which Wagner electric? if you are talking about their PowerPainter line (like in the painting aisle at HD), ive read they are really only good for large areas being painted quickly. A lot of mess to keep track of (even outside you'll have to mask off a lot).

I can tell you I painted 290' of molding outside with my HF cheapie gun and all I did was put a tarp underneath my sawhorses. The mess was barely on the tarp with me aiming the gun down at the ground.

I think if you already have a compressor you might be better off at least giving it a try. The viscosity cup should help but Ive read/heard of the 2 drop rule: about 2 drops every second off the end of a paint stick. You dont want to go over 10% water to thin water-based paints, so if you want to work your way up you can always try 2 or 5% first. Helps to get the plastic containers from HD/Lowes that have size measurements on the side (in ounces or mLs) so you know how much paint/water/flotrol to add.

Comment

At what point do you measure the "2 drops"?

When you first pull it out it will drip continuously until some point where it will stop dripping at all.

I decide by how fast it comes off the stir stick myself, but it's just a visual decision.

Comment

I tried shortly after I pulled it out of the cup.

Honestly I thought it was easier to just thin to 10% and go for it. Probably why I needed 2 coats, but it saved so much time and paint anyway I didnt mind the extra 30 minutes of spraying. And the paint atomizes so small that it dries very quickly too.

Comment

I don't care for spraying latex in a hvlp.

If I have to spray latex I'll use my airless with whatever tip suits the need. I really prefer oils or lacquers on cabinets/trims.

Comment

Working...
                  X