X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal cabinet material

Hello I am new to wood working. I was going to build a cabinet using 3/4 red oak plywood for the sides and I was going to build an internal frame. I was wondering what type of wood was recommended? Another hard wood? Or pine? Seem kind of expensive to use red oak inside too.
    Thanks

Re: Internal cabinet material

I think you will find that plywood will be cheaper than any hardwood. I find that when I layout a project there is usually enough leftovers from a sheet or sheets to make the frame. The best part about building yourself is that you can build a better cabinet than you can buy at a fraction of the price. One other plus for using plywood for the frame is that it is dimensionally stable so you will not have to build in allowances for seasonal expansion like you would with 'real' lumber. This may not be as much of a factor for Arizona as it is in my climate (desert dry in winter and rain forest humid in the summer)
    Not sure where you buy your lumber supplies but usually the big box stores are high price for low quality. Try to find a supplier that specializes in hardwood, their hardwood veneer plywood will be much nicer (usually A-2) and it will be flat.

Comment

What do you mean by the "internal frame", usually I think of a cabinet as just a box made of plywood. A plywood box with dados is plenty strong. You might want to use something like prefinished maple plywood on the inside where it won't show on the outside, that way you won't need to finish it and the baked on finish is probably more durable than what you can do yourself.

Comment

Thanks, I was looking at a couple of different books on furniture construction and for some cabinets or chest of drawers they would make dado cuts and the put what looked like an internal frame. I was thinking of making a computer/ printer stand that was going to be 16" deep, 38" tall and 25" wide. My plan was to rabbet the bottom and have one dado cut for one fixed shelf. Then I would build an red oak front frame. I was going to build a dawer for storage that would be at the bottom of the cabinet, and then have 2 adustable shelves. For the top I wondering since I am using plywood ( 7 core red oak) I believe it is Thompson from Canada. Can I just frame in the top plywookd by gluing read oak to the sides, and then cut two dados in the top plywood to connect to the sides? Or is this poor design? Or should I rabbet the top and glue it to the side like the bottom and then glue Oak molding to cover up the plywood sides?
        Thanks again so much for all your help. I have done lots of home improvement projects and love wood working but making furniture is totally new and definietly not forgiving if I do something off a little.

Comment

Originally posted by azwoodwker View Post
          Thanks, I was looking at a couple of different books on furniture construction and for some cabinets or chest of drawers they would make dado cuts and the put what looked like an internal frame. I was thinking of making a computer/ printer stand that was going to be 16" deep, 38" tall and 25" wide. My plan was to rabbet the bottom and have one dado cut for one fixed shelf. Then I would build an red oak front frame. I was going to build a dawer for storage that would be at the bottom of the cabinet, and then have 2 adustable shelves. For the top I wondering since I am using plywood ( 7 core red oak) I believe it is Thompson from Canada. Can I just frame in the top plywookd by gluing read oak to the sides, and then cut two dados in the top plywood to connect to the sides? Or is this poor design? Or should I rabbet the top and glue it to the side like the bottom and then glue Oak molding to cover up the plywood sides?
          Thanks again so much for all your help. I have done lots of home improvement projects and love wood working but making furniture is totally new and definietly not forgiving if I do something off a little.
          RO for the face frame makes sense. I think your plan for the top does as well. If I understand it right, the top will have moulding as a substitute for edge banding to cover its sides, and will drop onto the carcass. I guess you mean a dust frame fro the internal frame, but if the drawer is on the bottom I'm not sure if you need one. You can use just drawer slides probably. For the shelves, plywood would be fine with some moulding on the front.

Comment

Thanks again. Can't wait to actually build it now. I bought the Ridgid jointer, Granite Table saw, router, and planer. Kind of went crazy at Home Depot. So now I have to build things. But I also realized there is a lot of set up in the shop/garage to do as far as organizing and building jigs before one actually can make something. I have a lot of things I want to build. This cabinet will be the first.
            Also for the RO face frame I was going use the biscuit jointer to connect the frame together and then just glue it to the front of the cabinet. Will that be sufficent or do most people screw the frame( angled from the inside) on or nail it?
            Thanks again

Comment

Thanks again. Can't wait to actually build it now. I bought the Ridgid jointer, Granite Table saw, router, and planer. Kind of went crazy at Home Depot. So now I have to build things. But I also realized there is a lot of set up in the shop/garage to do as far as organizing and building jigs before one actually can make something. I have a lot of things I want to build. This cabinet will be the first.
              Also for the RO face frame I was going use the biscuit jointer to connect the frame together and then just glue it to the front of the cabinet. Will that be sufficent or do most people screw the frame( angled from the inside) on or nail it?
              Thanks again
              If you don't have a biscuit joiner, I would use pockets screws or dowels with glue.

Comment

Thanks again
                Use the biscuit jointer to attach the face frame as well. Glue is plenty strong enough to hold the frame without screws but you need something to keep the frame aligned to the case while the glue dries

Comment

Thanks will do the biscuit joints for connecting the frame too. Hopefully will be able to build it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X