X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Saw review - Workbench magazine

Did anyone else catch the April 2002 issue of Workbench magazine? The Ridgid BS-1400 rated 2.5 stars out of 5. The Craftsman version got 3 stars and was rated a "top value". The Jet and Delta shared top honors even though the Delta was $799 and the Jet was $599.

The magazine didn't even spell Ridgid correctly.

Any thoughts on the review on someone who has the BS-1400?

- Jamie

Hey Jamie,
    No I didn't see the review in Workbench magazine but I did read a bandsaw review in Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops edition. They rated it the best value out of nine other saws including Delta, Jet, Grizzly, etc. I think I know what you are getting at though. It seems the magazines for the most part just do not give Ridgid proper credit for delivering a quality product to us consumers at a resonable price. It was just like the contractor tablesaw review Popular Woodworking. The TS2424 scored at the top of the list in least vibration, fit and finish, initial trunion alignment, etc. yet they rated the saw somewhere in the middle of the pack. I just don't understand and actually get quite irritated by their reviews. Although I still read the magazines I don't put too much weight on their so called tool reviews. I do my own research and make my own decisions based upon my needs and what tool will offer the best value in the long run. See Ya.

Gregg

Comment

Jamie,

We were disappointed in the review also. I think the Popular Woodworking review was a much more complete review. It included more machines and reviewed more criteria. The Workbench review didn't even include the Grizzly band saw.

Jake

Comment

It'$ all about $$$

These rags make their buck$ from advertisers, not subscribers. There's several that are discounting subs deeply (2 yrs for the price of 1) to show their advertisers how much exposure they can buy.
        If a major contributor to their coffers throws up a bad or so-so product, do you think they're gonna say bad-mouth them? Nah. If Ridgid wants better reviews, they're gonna have to pull some bucks from R&D and invest in advertising. I promise you if they were the #1 advertiser for a zine, they're ratings would go WAY up. Don't do it Jake.

I like the articles and techniques...learned mucho from them; used to take the tool ratings as gospel til I started buying a few things, later to realize it wasn't the #1 a particular mags ratings; but it works great for me. I won't say they are all TOTALLY biased, but I get the salt shaker out before glancing at the last couple paragraphs for the "winners".
        Quality/cost effective tools (i.e. Ridgid)will rise to the top through reputation and open forums like this; I see good discussions all around the woodworking forums.

Sorry so long, but I been wanting to say that for a couple of months.
        Gotta break this soapbox down (nice grain) and make a jewel case out of it.

Comment

I seriously doubt that very many magazines would consciously tilt a product review in favor of an advertiser. While advertising, not subscriptions, pay the rent, without subscriptions there will be no advertising and, ultimately, no need for rent. There is nothing that could so irreparable and so immediately queer subscriptions than for a magazine to have it get out that its reviews were, to put the right label on it, fraudulent.

The problem, rather, in my judgment is that tool reviews are inherently subjective. It is compounded by the fact that the authors of such reviews are sometimes not quite the experts that they think they are. That is why it is always a good idea to get the opinions of a whole bunch of folks and then, armed with this background, examine the product for oneself.

I think there is also another factor, a bit subtle but no less real, at work: brand name panache. For a lot of years, Smith & Wesson made the ultimate in revolvers; indeed, they were works of mechanical art. That made it hard for anyone else to break into the revolver market, even when they made a serviceable product; and, indeed, when Smith & Wesson began to suffer serious QA problems in the late 70s and early 80s, brand name panache supported sales (and continue to impede entries into the revolver market by others) notwithstanding the inferior quality of S&W products. Given that Delta is the successor to the legendary Rockwell, is it any surprise that even a good faith reviewer might tilt?

Comment

yes i read the arctile. they even did't test the dewalt erpoean(sp) bandsaw.
            Andy B.

Comment

Reading the tol reviews to me is just getting started on a product. Next seek out folks who use them, they to me are the REAL REVIEWERS and if the product is not HOT they will tell you that NEXT time that they will use another brand usually because they have asked around also.. I do like the platform that is used here and in other fourms. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Having worked for a computer hardware company for the last four years, and for a software company for the 3 1/2 years before that, I can tell you that the amount of advertising money spent with the magazines conducting the reviews can have a significant impact on the outcome of the review.
                Is it make or break? No, BUT it has on many occassions been the deciding factor between say a #1 and #2 rating, or the difference between getting 5 stars instead of 4.
                The rags do have their reputations to think of with the "educated" sector so the reviews do have to stand on their own merits to a point, however when you're marketing your product to the new, or "uneducated" sector, some extra points scored come in really handy, especially when that same issue has you plastered on every other page.

Note: You guys do know that by "educated" and "uneducated" I'm refering to the level of understanding with the given product arean by the general population and not their level of intelligence or schooling.

Pete
                \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Working...
                X