R4330 or TP1300LS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 or TP1300LS

I recently received a gift certificate for HD from a friend. One of the tools I want is a planer and I'm not sure whether I should get the R4330 or the TP1300LS. I thought that the 4330 replaced the 1300. I should mention that the area where I live is lucky(?) enough to have several HD's within a 15 minute drive and some have the 4330 and some have the 1300. They are the same price, so that is not a factor. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: R4330 or TP1300LS

Can't comment on the 1300 as I have the R4330.
    I love it!! It's very accurate, the finish is great (hardly needs sanding), and the repeat-a-cut is helpful and was perfectly set right out of the box.
    If the tables are set correctly, there is little to no snipe. The dust collection, at least with the 4", works great. I can't come up with any negatives to say or suggestions for improvement.
    My only problems are with my local HD and the fact that such quality tools are destined to be "exclusive" to such a poor distribution network. Any of the many other tool outlets with knowledge and the concern about customer relationships would make a better choice in my opinion.
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

Have to go with rcp612. Had my 4330 for a few weeks now and really like it. As was mentioned, like most tools it's adjustment's make the difference. If you place a four or six foot level on the bed after letting the wings droop below level and the bring the wings up to just touch the level you will have no snipe. I put a piece of scrap wood between the rollers and the level and cranked the upper works down to hold the level flat with the bed, don't crank it down hard, just enough to hold the level flat against the bed. Then adjust the wings up to it. I forgot about the (At least 14" rule) and passed a hunk of 2x4" about six inches long thru the planer, NO snipe.

If you don't have good dust/chip collection then you better have a good broom. It does make chips like you read about!

MAKE VERY SURE THE DUST SHROUD AND THE INTERLOCK IT PRESSES DOWN ON IS INSTALLED !!! If not you will strip the gears and really screw things up.

Buck

Comment

The R4330 is supposed to replace the TP1300. I think what the problem here is that too many HD managers absolutely refuse to clearance price older models and will continue to exploit the top price until all the old inventory is gone. I've seen that practice repeatedly at my local HD here in the Corning area.

I find it a deceitful business practice as I think too many customers are not aware of what may be the latest model. You watch, when the last TP1300 is gone, it's spot in the display area will be immediately filled with the R4330. It's very much like buying last year's car, not knowing what year it is or knowing that a new model is available.

But that said... here are a couple of differences:

The TP1300 has a two-blade cutter and the R4330 has a 3-blade cutter, which should provide a better surface. But, the TP1300 was reputed as providing a being pretty nice surface.

The 1300 has a cutter-head lock, which prevents the head from moving once you set it's position. The R4330 did away with the head lock mechanism, redesigning the height adjustment mechanism with four screw post, instead of only two on the TP1300.

The dust collection system was redesigned and is supposedly better on the 4330.

The TP1300 comes with a leg set and an extra set of double-edge blades. The R4330 has double-edge blades, but not an extra set and there is no leg set supplied or available from Ridgid. (That shouldn't be a big deal though as there are lots of tables, stands, etc. available from other sources.)

Home Depot carries both 2-blade sets for the TP1300 and 3-blade packs for the R4330. They are NOT interchangeable, but they ARE priced the same.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

DAve - I just finished skip planing ~ 250 linear feet of rough sawn white ash, adn the R4330 did an admirable job.

Comment

Thanks all!! If pricing is the same, I'm going for the 4330. I say that because I heard a rumor today that HD is clearing out the 1300s for $229. I'm heading over there after dinner (don't tell my wife!!) and I'll let you know. I'm guessing that the $229 price would make the 1300 the better value. If anyone disagrees, please don't be bashful.

Comment

Sikrap,

I woud be inclined to agree with you. I hadn't seen the R4330 yet, when I purchased the TP1300; but, I bought it simply because it was the last one in stock. I was afraid the new design might have gone the way of Ryobi, which introduced their new model in a much cheaper and less desireable design. While that didn't prove to be so, I'm not the least bit regretting my move to pick up the TP1300. The very next morning after my purchase, the local HD put out the R4330. But even after looking at the R4330, I decided to still keep my TP1300.

The TP1300 has a very good reputation and though I'm sure there are some improvements with the new model, I still have some concerns about the lack of a cutterhead lock on the R4330. I've only read a couple of posts regarding this issue though. But, at the price you mention, that's very hard to pass up the TP1300 and I surely don't think you will be sorry.

Don't forget to take the steps to register it for the LLSA.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 07-09-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

The R4330 is the new and improved model replacing the 1300. The 4330 has 'three' blades (like the Dewalt 735) vs two on the 1300. I would also wonder how long replacement blades will be easy to come by after the 1300 is completely phased out.

Big G

Comment

Working...
                X