bandsaw lower wheel stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandsaw lower wheel stuck

i just bought a new rigid 14" bandsaw. model number bs14002.
    the lower wheel is stuck against the frame. i'll describe exactly the situation:

i put the machine together. i adjusted everything perfectly, as it was pretty messed up straight from the factory.
    i fired it up and seemed to be working ok but then i started hearing noise from the lower wheel. after shutting it off, i realized that the lower wheel was resting against the cast frame. the screw holding the wheel was loose intentionally because when tightened it draws the wheel up to the cast frame. whoever put it together at the factory knew that the wheel was tight and loosened it on purpose to allow the wheel to freewheel.

upon very close inspection im thinking the following:
    the pin might not be inserted far enough.
    the c-ring is up against the bearing on the outside of the case. however, the outside bearing is not flush with the case. the bearing is out a little bit (1/8" or so). on the inside, the inside bearing is not flush either. it, however, is about 1/8th" inset into the case. this i think is why the wheel is touching the case, cause the wheel is supposed to be flush to the bearing (which is inset).

the pin appears to be affixed via a roll pin hammered into the cast case from the 12 oclock position. how do i remove the roll pin so i can attempt to advance the pin inward more?

or...should i do one of the following:
    1: hammer on the outside bearing to try to advance the pin?
    2: place some small shims between the case and the wheel, and draw the pin in some more by tightening the bolt?
    3: is removing the roll pin necessary at all if im going to do this?

please help if you have any advice.
    respectfully
    bryan

Re: bandsaw lower wheel stuck

Take it back and get a refund!!!!!!!
    Put your money towards a better bandsaw. You will be much happier. Ron
    Last edited by Ronald; 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ronald View Post
      take it back and get a refund!!!!!!!
      Put your money towards a better bandsaw. You will be much happier. Ron
      +1
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I agree with the above. Bandsaws can be finicky anyway and it is well documented on here about all the issues that bandsaw has. It can be made to run fairly well but by the time you get everything invested in it you could have bought something much better out of the box.

Comment

I purchased this because it was relatively inexpensive, I had positive experience with RIDGID stationary tools (Table Saw, Jointer, Drill Press) in the past. I had to invest a lot of time and money to get this Bandsaw to perform to my satisfaction. Now that it is tuned, I enjoy using it more than any other tool in the shop.
          Now about the decision of wether to continue working out the kinks or taking it back and going elsewhere, The only other Bandsaw near this price point I will consider is a Grizzly. All in all I am happy with the RIDGID and didn't spend in upgrades as much as the Grizzly I had my eye on would have cost.
          My bandsaw had a similar problem but mine was the upper wheel, it was on too tight. Luckily all I dad to do was loosen the nut about a revolution back. I was expecting to have to install a shim. A washer between the Cabinet and the Wheel looks like the solution for your dilemma. Oh, and get some Cool Blocks and a new blade. Before you get more blades, decide if 6" clearance is enough for you, I raised mine another 6" with a Grizzly Riser.

Comment

thanks for all of the replies. i have to tell you, there were two pretty serious QA issues with this one saw. first, the motor was missing. not sure how a 30lb motor can be forgotten, but it was. 2nd was the lower wheel issue. made me wonder about the quality of rigid products. home depot was awesome about this though, they gave me a new motor (of course), but also gave me a 10% discount on the rigid drillpress and delivered it to me for free. pretty awesome.

so, i fixed the bandsaw. and i'd like to describe what the problem was.
            QA should have caught this thing bigtime, but let it slide:

in the lower cast casing theres a cast hole for the bearings; an outer bearing and an inner.
            i removed the axel and two bearings and peered into the hole.
            theres a massive bushing inside the hole.
            the bushing is hammered into place and the retaining pin is hammered into the case to hold the bushing in place. the bearings rest on this bushing, then the axel goes in. what i noticed was that the bushing was not hammered into the case far enough. the outer bearing was sticking out too far and the inner bearing was in too far.
            i removed the retaining pin and hammered the bushing in about an eighth of an inch or so. the inner bearing needed to extend further than the case so the wheel wouldn't touch the case when installed.

the bushing was so tight in the case that i didn't even need to reinstall the retaining pin.

now the machine works perfectly. im not sure how QA could have let this go. the person who assembled it at the factory intentionally loosened the wheel retaining bolt to allow the wheel to move. QA let this slide. unbelievable.
            this could have caused a real catastrophe. also im suprised they didn't use locktite.

one other thing about QA. the workers didn't install the lower blade guide assembly straight. the holes are wallowed out so you can rotate or slide it as you tighten it down. it was off from straight about 10 or 15 degrees.

a couple gentle tweaks and it seems to work fine. i'll keep it because of the price. i've bonded with it already, since i had to tweak the assembly so much.

thanks for helping me out with all of the advice.
            respectfully
            bryan

Comment

I purchased this because it was relatively inexpensive
              You usually get what you pay for. In this case that axionm seems to have rung true.

Return and get a replacement unit or get a refund and look for something else.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

well, i got it running good now. so i shouldn't have many troubles now.
                i think i'll keep it.

Comment

Hello
                  That is alot of issues to accept for a new(?) saw. Are you sure it was new and not a return that HD simply just put back on the floor? I know Ridgid QC is lacking, but really, motor missing! If you were going to keep it, you should have had HD deliver you a new one (still in the box, AND SEALED!) when they delivered your drill press.
                  With the 90 days exchange/return policy, really you should have returned it. What does Ridgid say it will do to your warranty after making the modifications??
                  If you are happy with, then that is all that counts. Ron

Originally posted by bsshirkey View Post
                  thanks for all of the replies. i have to tell you, there were two pretty serious QA issues with this one saw. first, the motor was missing. not sure how a 30lb motor can be forgotten, but it was. 2nd was the lower wheel issue. made me wonder about the quality of rigid products. home depot was awesome about this though, they gave me a new motor (of course), but also gave me a 10% discount on the rigid drillpress and delivered it to me for free. pretty awesome.

so, i fixed the bandsaw. and i'd like to describe what the problem was.
                  QA should have caught this thing bigtime, but let it slide:

in the lower cast casing theres a cast hole for the bearings; an outer bearing and an inner.
                  i removed the axel and two bearings and peered into the hole.
                  theres a massive bushing inside the hole.
                  the bushing is hammered into place and the retaining pin is hammered into the case to hold the bushing in place. the bearings rest on this bushing, then the axel goes in. what i noticed was that the bushing was not hammered into the case far enough. the outer bearing was sticking out too far and the inner bearing was in too far.
                  i removed the retaining pin and hammered the bushing in about an eighth of an inch or so. the inner bearing needed to extend further than the case so the wheel wouldn't touch the case when installed.

the bushing was so tight in the case that i didn't even need to reinstall the retaining pin.

now the machine works perfectly. im not sure how QA could have let this go. the person who assembled it at the factory intentionally loosened the wheel retaining bolt to allow the wheel to move. QA let this slide. unbelievable.
                  this could have caused a real catastrophe. also im suprised they didn't use locktite.

one other thing about QA. the workers didn't install the lower blade guide assembly straight. the holes are wallowed out so you can rotate or slide it as you tighten it down. it was off from straight about 10 or 15 degrees.

a couple gentle tweaks and it seems to work fine. i'll keep it because of the price. i've bonded with it already, since i had to tweak the assembly so much.

thanks for helping me out with all of the advice.
                  respectfully
                  bryan

Comment

dear ron.
                    i pretty much just advanced the bushing to where it was supposed to be.
                    shouldn't be any warranty issues, they'd never know.

as far as the packaging, it was definitely factory. it still had the strong plastic straps around the box when i purchased it.

bryan

ps...its working like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                    X