No announcement yet.

Osborne Manufacturing - Worst Customer Service Ever!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osborne Manufacturing - Worst Customer Service Ever!

I'm sorry for the long post but I just have to share this. I wanted to pass along a horrible customer service experience I had yesterday with Osborne Manufacturing. I ordered their EB-3 miter gauge directly from their Website about a week ago. While I was unpacking it and going through the instructions, I noticed the aluminum fence had some damage at one of the front corners. A nice flat spot with the resultant burr overhanging the front of the fence. It had obviously been dropped and landed right on that corner. I put it all right back in the box and called Osborne. They asked me if they could send just a replacement fence and I would return just that part. My instinct was to ask for a replacement of the entire unit but I agreed to just the fence with the caveat that I had not assembled the unit or inspected any other parts and didn't know if there were any other problems. His response was, "well, let me send you the fence and we'll go from there." So far no big deal, things happen. But it gets worse, much worse. I received the replacement fence and the first thing I notice is that it is filthy. I begin to inspect it and wouldn't you know that this fence has damage to the same corner as the one I received. Not nearly as bad mind you, but it's there. This was minor enough that a few minutes with a fine file or emery cloth would take care of it. Now I start to remove the fence from my unit to replace it and I notice that the the new fence has two small rubber O-rings that are part of the mounting system. My unit does not have them. It's at this point that I start to get one of those "really bad feelings". I then notice that some sort of decal on the miter bar has been removed from my unit. All the glue from the decal is there but no decal. The next thing I see is the vinyl decal on the top of the unit that says Osborne manufacturing has a gouge in it about the size of my pinky nail. It's painfully obvious at this point that I have someone else's returned unit. I box it all back up and send it back to Osborne. I call them in a few days and this is where it goes from bad to laughable. The guy starts berating me telling me I'm being unreasonable. He says things to me like "Are you sure it was like that when you received it?" and "well, it's my word against your's then isn't it?" He proceeds to tell me how he should have referred me to the manufacturer. This was odd. Isn't Osborne "Manufacturing" the manufacturer? Aparently not... At this point I had enough, so I asked for a brand new factory fresh unit or a refund or I would have my credit card company reverse the charge. Before anything is resolved he tells me to "go buy someone else's miter gauge" and hangs up the phone. Needless to say I did file a claim and after being contacted by PayPal they agreed to refunded my money. I am just dumbfounded by this experience. This is the type of customer service I would expect from some company running a late night infomercial for a haircutting vacuum attachment or something. Anyway, they say when one door closes another one opens. This morning I found the top of the line Incra 1000HD on sale at for $149.00! Yeah, even on sale it's forty bucks more than the Osborne but it seems like an awesome unit and is very well reviewed. I feel very sorry for the next unlucky sole that will receive this same unit from Osborne. Sorry for the long post. I just had to share this.

Re: Osborne Manufacturing - Worst Customer Service Ever!

Delta sells a miter gauge which is a close copy (and maybe even better) than the Osborne unit. The Incra miter gauge I have is very good. Unfortunately this is one of the problems with dealing with vendors over the internet as opposed to down the street. Admittedly, there is little chance that there is a supplier within a dozen or so miles of your home. They've all been driven out of business by internet shopping and the mega stores.

I'm not saying you were wrong to buy over the internet, I do too. But it will be more difficult to handle returns or exchanges.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.