X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointing....without a jointer

When glueing up panels of hardwood, is there a way to ensure good jointing edges without a jointer? I am going to be building an armoire that is 26" deep. I don't have the money for a jointer, so I don't know how to ensure that my edges will meet up cleanly. I have a plate jointer so jointing and glueing up the panels is not a problem...as long as I have good edges.

Any thoughts?
    Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

Freud makes a Glue Line Rip blade for the table saw. You can also use a hand plane, but that takes some practice to get it down.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Brad

If you have a router table this link will illustrate how to joint with your router.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/sntip54.html

Goodluck

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks woodslayer. I figured there was a way to do this on the router table, but wasn't sure about how to go about it. I will give this a shot!
        Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

Comment

You could also try a molding head for the table saw. They are available with a joining cutter.
          Rob Johnson
          Orange,CA.
          Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I'm of the opinion that a hand-held router is much easier to create a straight edge with, than a router table. Why do all the jinking with the fence trying to make the thing act like a jointer, when all the hand-held needs is a straight edge to follow?

Dave

Comment

I haven't tried this yet but I plan to. Depending on the board length, you can make a sled for your router (if you have a miter track in your router table). Make the sled a little too wide and take off the edge of the sled with a straight router bit. Then, clamp a board to the sled with the edge a little over the sled's and go at it. I like Dave's idea above with the straight edge as well. Quick and easy.

Comment

Working...
              X