X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best dado set for the 3650

Anyone have a recommendation for the best dado set that works well with the Ridgid 3650? I want to purchase one shortly, so any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. I bought a terrible stacked set a few years ago that did not cut flat bottoms. It was more like this:

/------\

Thanks!
    David

Usually you can't go wrong with Freud. I have the SD208 set and get nice flat dados. I also have an Avenger 6" set that I bardered for. I can't see that the Freud is any better, and the Avenger sets cost less. Oh, both of these are stack sets, I tried 3 different adjustable brands and took all of them back.
    Ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

To save a little wear and tear on your saws motor and also your pocketbook, you might consider buying a 6" stacked dado set vs. an 8" set. A 6" set, such as the Freud SD206, will weigh less than an 8" set, which your motor will like. Also, for many people, the depth of cut that can be obtained with a 6" set is more than adequate.

The 3650 us certainly capable of spinning an 8" set so if thats what you really feel you want then the SD208 would be a good choice.

The Avenger sets seem to get good reviews by those who own them. A downside, IMO, to the Avengers' is that the chippers are a full plate design which adds to the overall weight of the set. They do come in a nice wood box though.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, do you think that the mass of a 8" dado really strains the motor of a TS that much? I agree it takes more energy to get it spinning but once it is up to speed the added mass should help maintain a steady RPM during cuts. I agree that a 6" will cut to the depth of most dados, how many times do you need to cut deeper than an inch? I don't have a 6" dado so maybe someone who does can tell us what depth they can cut to, I'm gonna guess its around 1.250 to 1.375".

Comment

I have a Freud SD508 and I have not noticed the motor on my TS2424 (American made) strain during use. The set provides excellent results but I find the shims an absolute bear to remove from the arbor, to the extent that I seldom use it because of the difficulty

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
            Dave, do you think that the mass of a 8" dado really strains the motor of a TS that much?
            I don't think that an 8" set puts so much strain on the motor that it damages the motor in the short term. I do think that a 6" set puts less strain on the motor which in the long run could extend the life of the motor. I also think that a 6" set would be easier to keep the blades turning at speed once the blades comes into contact with the wood.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments so far. My first thought was to go with a Freud stacked set, so it looks like I wasn't far off.

In a side note, it is my humble opinion that a few extra ounces of mass using either a 6 or 8" set will do damage to the motor. That device is designed to spin. The real "damage" occurs (where the other David pointed out) where the spinning motion is resisted (ie...cutting wood).

With that said, I disagree that you might get a few extra days (or hours) out of the motor. I personally think it is sheer luck whether your machine gets 1 year or 20 years. Why is it that certain cars last 20 years without major problems and others last a few months or year. They are the same make and model.

Now, the best statement to make is whether it is abused. A motor which is used to resaw 5" maple on a daily basis will burn out faster than one to cut 1/2" balsa wood. But, you also might get a lemon and it throws off the whole discussion.

While there is no right or wrong answer, the fact relies on hope. You hope the motor won't burn out, but in reality, it will. It is not the question of "if", but rather "when".

My two cents.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X