X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511- Squaring the fence

I am the proud owner of a new 4511 granite faced table saw. Aside from this beast weighing nearly a quarter ton, and having to have it delivered by forklift, so far I am impressed. However, I have one minor annoyance. The rip fence is not 100% square with the saw blade or the table. The front of the fence can be 1-1/4" to the left of the miter slot, while the back of the fence is 1-5/16" away. This also affects cuts, where the front and the back of the blade cut the wood to slightly different widths.

Needless to say, this can be dangerous when cutting on the right side of the saw, as the back side of the spinning blade wants to lift my stock and toss it across the room.

Page 27 of the manual mentions a "Check the alignment of the Rip Fence to the Blade" portion of the Adjustments section, although I am unable to find it. I am not able to find the current version of the manual in PDF form at Ridgid's website either.

I would appreciate any assistance that members of this forum could provide. Until I am able to square the fence up, this saw is essentially a $600.00, 500LB boat anchor...

Re: 4511- Squaring the fence

Well, I found DaveWoodWork's notes on adjusting the rip fence, so I was able to get it to work somewhat. It is now square on the right side of the blade. However, on the left side of the blade, for some reason, the fence still drifts about 1/16" of an inch towards the blade over it's entire length. I moved the fence back to the right of the blade, and it is still square on that side. I can only guess that this means that the front rail needs to be shimmed out a bit on one side. Any ideas?

Comment

Be sure to check these threads as well:

R4511 Fence Alignment
      R4511 Table top alignment instructions

Comment

For some reason, after tweaking the set screws on the fence for nearly an hour, the fence is only square within a very limited range - between 0 and 2-1/2" on the right side of the blade. As soon as the fence is on the right side wing, it is no longer square. Once I move the fence to the left of the blade, it is off by 1/32" or more. I've also noticed that the front rail is 29/32" from the face on the right side of the saw, while it is 30/32" on the left side of the saw. In addition, the wings are not 100% flush with the front edge of the face. I've already taken the front rail off to try and adjust the left wing forward a bit, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do that. Would shims work in squaring the front rail off?

Comment

Well, I picked up a few automotive starter shims, and seem to have the front rail square now. However, I still have deflection on the fence, no matter how I tweak it. the fence is dead right on the right side of the table, but, when I move it, it is off by 1/64 by the time it gets to center, and it is 1/16 off by the time it is all the way to the left. I might play with the shims a bit more tomorrow, until the left is further out, which might square the fence out a bit.

Any better ideas?

Comment

Check the front rail with a long straightedge.

When the fence is unsquare, is it straddling the joint between the rail sections? The plastic coupler allows differential flexing of the two joined tube ends, which results in fence deflection.

Flip the fence over and lay a framing square across the adjustment pads. These need to be coplanar, and this most likely means you'll have to bend the bar they're mounted on.

Comment

I think I have it now. Yesterday, I think I put in too many shims across the entire rail. Today, I took the front rail off, and put it back without any shims, and found that it was close to flat, but not quite. So, I shimmed the right side out slightly, and determined that it was now as close to perfectly flat as I could get it. The fence is now square up until I get to the far left side, where it is 1/64 off at 14 1/2", and 1/32 off at 19". I could probably fix that with a 1/64 shim on the far left side, but I think what I have now is close enough.

I am surprised that I was able to get it that square, actually.

Comment

I've heard there is a recall on the 4511 but don't have a clue what for... maybe the fence?

Comment

I had not heard anything about a recall. I have one and it works great. I don't have that many hours on it, but from what I have used it for it has worked flawlessly. A great upgrade from what I was using.

The fence assembly would have been better with one piece rails for sure, but for the money, its hard to get a better saw. Look at any other hybrid saw and you are getting in the $1000 range.

Comment

Originally posted by srkandel View Post
                    I've heard there is a recall on the 4511 but don't have a clue what for... maybe the fence?
                    Hopefully one of the Ridgid reps can comment on this?

Id sure be interested to know if there was a recall.

Comment

There's nothing on the website regarding a recall yet they been pull from the floor in the HD stores???

Comment

Originally posted by srkandel View Post
                        There's nothing on the website regarding a recall yet they been pull from the floor in the HD stores???
                        The local HDs around me have never HAD them on the floor. They've only been in overhead storage, and I assume the only one they've sold has been mine (unless there are a few other Ridgid nuts local to me that know more than the people at HD!!)

Comment

Working...
                        X