TS3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daveferg:
    So--Hand' is a new owner, with a long screw and bent fan----just to clarify a point of confusion.
    daveferg-In the spirit of clarifying points of confusion, then I was wondering if you could tell me where you read about people who had "long screws hitting the case" of their 3650 motor on this forum, since this is what you have posted on Woodnet (e.g., 12/15/03 at 1:08 a.m.).

Comment

RobH
      I have the 3650. The opening in the table are great for clamping and adding an out feed table.
      The 3650 dust collection system is better than most I have used.
      SCWood

Comment

Originally posted by SCWood:
        RobH
        I have the 3650. The opening in the table are great for clamping and adding an out feed table.
        The 3650 dust collection system is better than most I have used.
        SCWood
        yep - and I actually viewed this as a negative on this ts in beginning at that. Afraid my lil' old fat stubbys would feel a pinch. Never happened - but on one I made insert to fill 'er up anyway. Must have been bored that day
        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Since I have a feeling I?m one of those that?s being referred to in some of these posts, I?d like to respond. First off, I have no axe to grind with Ridgid whatsoever. I own one of their shop vacs, have recommended the JP0610 jointer on occasion, and have purchased their BS blades. Many of their new hand tools look pretty impressive. I?m also of the opinion that their plumbing equipment is among the best in the world.

As for the 3650, my apologies if I misunderstood the cause of the fan blade issue. It was a mistake on my part. There?s no reason to slam people or go on about people misrepresenting the truth as fact as if they have evil intentions, just because they make an error about how it occurs. Mia culpa. The point was that the bent fan blades appear to really exist, along with a few other smallish issues that can be overcome, but they certainly exist on a large enough scale that they are worth noting until rectified. It appears to be more than a couple of fluke defects. All machines have some defects, and most complex machines suffer some growing pains during early production. It?s not unusual and it?s not a reason to take offense if someone mentions it. It?s actually better to pool your experiences and learn what the chronic problems really are, then bug Ridgid about them.

The 3650 is a group of several components and mechanisms assembled together to offer what Ridgid calls the 3650 contractor saw. My method of evaluating tools is to scrutinize as many of the components and details as I have available to me, and form an opinion based on which ones seem on par, below par, or superior to other saws. I always try to explain why I don?t like something. There?s no need to take offense if I don?t come across as part of the 3650 cheerleading squad. I realize some may be overly sensitive to less than positive comments, and I suspect that some of the sensitivity may be due to some heavy ?bashing? of the 3650 by some posters. I don?t see myself in that category, because I try very hard to be objective and point out the specifics of what I do and don?t like about any tool. Just because someone?s not a 3650 owner shouldn?t immediately disqualify their opinion. We live in a time when the vast majority of brand name saws in the $500 + price range [barring a defect] will spin a blade with good precision and power, have reasonably flat surfaces, and are equipped with a fence that at least has the potential to lock down straight. I?m confident that all of them will perform pretty comparably when variables like setup and blade are equalivent. There?s no reason to think that the 3650 will significantly outperform or under-perform any other decent saw. I?ve made no effort to hide how I feel about Ridgid?s choice of materials on a few critical components like the fence and trunnions, but that doesn?t make me a ?basher? or of the opinion the saw won?t cut well enough to make some owners happy. There?s a lot that can be learned by looking at some of the contractor saws that have been industry standards for years such as the Powermatic, General Intl or Delta. It?s interesting to compare some of the newer ideas such as the belt on the 3650, and discuss the pros and cons. IE: - The dust shroud is good, a 4? port would be better than the current small one. The fence locks down very tightly, but can be made to lock out of square. The serpentine type belt is good?how does it compare to a link belt? The ultra thin blade flexes alot. The cast iron wings are good, I?m not so sure the die-cast zinc trunnions are. Etc, etc.

In the bigger picture don?t we all have some responsibility to the people who are looking for guidance? It?s fine if you are of the opinion that the 3650 was right for you. It?s also fine if you?re not. But it?s far better for everyone if you?ve formed your opinion based on something other than the emotion of getting a new saw, and somehow it?d be good for others to do the same. Be objective. Tell them about the pros and cons of the saw. Remember it?s just a machine! Tell them about the pros and cons of other saws too if you?ve learned them, and let them decide in the end. A knowledgeable and satisfied customer is good for Ridgid, but an ignorant dissatisfied customer is not. It speaks far better for the 3650 if it?s chosen over other saws based on merit and reason rather than on a pep rally mentality and hype.

Comment

Rob H. When Emerson was building the saw, the wings were fully webbed. I've owned one like this for 14 years and never pinched a finger----dropped a few tape measures through the holes though As was said, the webs are great for clamping featherboards or other project work.

Hewood---very well said. And also THANK YOU for posting that you don't need to own the saw, or any tool for that matter, to make observations/assessments. Actually, I had never heard that particular arguement until this saw came out. I would also agree with you that we can all get a lot more out of this forum without making personal attacks.
            Dave

Comment

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I am getting a bit frustrated and am looking for some advice. I received a prompt e-mail reply from OWT regarding my bent fan blade on my new 3650...
              "I would recommend getting the saw in to your nearest Ridgid authorized
              service dealer to have them check the motor to inspect the issue you are
              indicating with the motor fan and set screw. It is not something we have
              heard of as being a problem with the new TS3650 motor..."
              Can they be serious? I know it is a relatively small issue but I am concerned that it may be a sign of more problems to come. I know that some of you would recommend putting back in the box and taking back to HD and look elsewhere to start over, but am curious as to specifically how others with this issue have been able to resolve it.
              Sorry to beat a dead horse, but now that I own the horse I am a bit concerned.
              Thanks

Comment

HANDZ98, This is my experience with the 3650. Having read the posts B/4 assembling my saw, I was somewhat alarmed as to what I purchased. So first thing I did was pull the cover off the motor and check the fan. The fins were not bent at all but looking from the side it was about 3/16" out of plane. This is a lightweight metal cooling fan and what I found would have NO adverse effect on the saws operation. What are the specifics on your fan?
                The set screw shank extended a 1/4 inch above the coller or flange (plus the height of the screw head)again this was a non-issue for mine. If it mattered I would have gone up the road and gotten a hex set screw. How far is yours sticking out?
                I put the cover back on and felt a little foolish for having opened it in the first place.
                I can't see what you see but IF it's like mine then We both fell for "PANIC ON THE INTERNET" (the saw is falling, the saw is falling...)
                The only problem I had was from the blade. It was not well balanced so I put on a better one. If you think about it, a poorly balanced 10" blade will have far greater effect than the fan or set screw.
                Again, this was MY experience, Your situation may be different but likely the motors came down the same assembly line in Taiwan with the same parts installed. If you have any questions feel free. I really like MY saw.

Comment

Back to the subject of clamping slots in the 3650 table.

These do not seem to appear on any other saws that have a cast iron table. Why not, if they are really useful? What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

handz98----Just from the posts here, if Ridgid monitored the board, they'd know about the problem. But, that's not the important issue.

If you like the saw and feel comfortable with it---you've got no choice, in my opinion, but to take the motor to the service center, BUT if it were me---I'd want a new motor---this is, after all, a brand new tool. Unless you're very knowledgable working on motors, why do a half-baked job with an re-bent fan, which could later be a problem---who knows.

If other things are bothering you about the saw---take it back.
                    Dave

Comment

I just finished (15 minutes ago!) assembling my new 3650. Everything went smooth, but this sucker is heavy to lift by yourself!
                      After reading the posts, I popped open the motor to look at the fan. The fan setscrew on my motor was flush (must have gotten a good one), but the aluminum blade fan (not blades) was out of true. I simply bent it gently back into true. I also pulled off the next housing, and noted that both that setscrew and the fan setscrew were in the same spot. I remounted the fan with the setscrew opposite the internal one.
                      Not sure what affect this will have, as I haven't fired it up yet. Family would be suprised at 1:30 am!
                      I've got tomorrow off and am looking forward to truing everthing up and making some sawdust!!
                      Thanks again to all who've posted, both pro and con. This forum's been extremely helpful.

Comment

Just a thought,

I have no idea what percentage of people are having fan issues, but why would you take apart a motor that is brand spanking new and fix it. If anything may be voiding warranty.

I read posts all the time, and if my motor had a problem, I'd run it and if it made noise or burnt up I'd get a new one as a manufactured defect. Keep in mind, this is just my thinking, I am not judging any folks that feel comfortable with the way they are doing things. If you prefer to do it this way, continue on. I just wanted to post a thought provoking post b/c some folks use this post to help them in making decisions about purchases.

In my world, this just seems odd. Fixing a brand new product that you just paid 600 bucks for.

Jake

Comment

Woodworker Jake, I agree and that was my point also, just like the "Oh my gosh! WIRE NUTS! non-issue.
                          This is the first (and last) power tool I'll ever buy that I feel compelled to take apart B/4 I've used.
                          The web can be good but in the wrong hands used for EVIL.

Comment

Hmmm - guess if mine had the "problems" I too would likely take back out of principle if nothing else-sure have done with Jet and Delta and would Rigid too
                            Then again - the "problems" have not been here - but the "stories" did get me to pop covers, and do some detective work that I never wanted to do either.
                            So long and short - I beginning to think I see more web related that create a true sense of disbelief in whats stated.
                            I am not questioning what some have experienced but rather what is being done by Rigid to resolve what seems to be something that happens on occaison to a few saws out there. Was it they all part of initial production run and shipment and the "screws" or whatever changed when discovered? To me it would be logical as the issues are few and far between but seem to be there per customer.
                            When something is shipped it ends up all over country, inventory builds, they get stacked, newest can be first sold, oldest last....regardless if they happen does it get reolved to all's satisfaction? That to me is only issue-getting resolved. Problems happen.

I hated lugging back a big ol' Delta DC unit. I hated to haul back my first Jet purchase (BS) - but both had issues and it had to be done. I sure as dickens would not pay premium dollar for what they were So yep - I was madder than hornet when I had to repackage and lug back. I walked away w/o the BS and bought different brand. My choice and decision. I also did not keep the DC - actually bought a "lower quality"(perception anyway)HF unit that worked well until we did major upgrade to DC system. Now if they would have just swapped out that unit I may have kept but they wanted to repair it. No thanks.

It is a PITA to return anything-a TS is even heavier. So if this issue that's major I'd pause, think if a easy fix there, what company says, and decide what to do. Serious issue-back she a goes. Period. Their issue-not yours.

Being new model some minor bugs will happen to some I suppose. On older established tools I'd say no it shouldn't but yet it does there too. I have 5 cars (assorted flavors) (plus Healeys which don't count) and 2 trucks, GM and Ford.
                            All newer, less than 3 years old.Some new models, some old models that seen little change in years. I spend more time doing auto shuffle to dealerships for warranty issues, recalls, etc than I can fathom. But they do fix - or it goes onto trade-in lot because I won't deal with it more than once.

Up to you what to do but just get it done to your satisfaction. And yes - like our 3650's. Glad we don't have issues too

Comment

Originally posted by RobH:
                              Back to the subject of clamping slots in the 3650 table.

These do not seem to appear on any other saws that have a cast iron table. Why not, if they are really useful? What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Rob
                              Good question Rob - I at first was turned off by them even. Now I find them extremely beneficial at times too but did fill in on one of them.
                              I'm not sure why - some have have to do with minor cost savings (?) to them but they very smooth castings so I would think the labor vs material saving about a wash (?).

Some folks like - some folks don't. Simple enough to fill them - done all the time on many brands.
                              I'd not use that as necessary a pro or con towards a decision on any saw. Use all the other factors that have been discussed and decide from there.

Comment

Check out below..... I think if in market for another I'd have no issues with replacing a few screws if I had to and not bother lifting it back up!

Cranky
                                Member # 3097

Rate Member posted 12-19-2003 09:26 AM
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally posted by Redbrick:
                                Yes Cranky it does. Basically every power tool in the store is on sale. I just bought the 3650 for $477 and change (not counting the sales tax).

That's a dang big GLOAT - congrats to you. This must be the "sale" they said would be happening but not sure when.
                                So he'll do well - and ask me for my 10% off coupon I also offered up last week too (maybe he'll forget and I can use!)Sheesh - that's what, $430 range plus tax!
                                Now I can say it loudly - this is a helluva TS all in all and it's gotta be the biggest bang for buck out there.

Thanks for info - gotta make a call to him.

--------------------
                                Wish I had the answers ..... even half of 'em

Posts: 95 | From: Wisconsin - barely | Registered: Nov 2003 | IP: Logged |

Comment

Working...
                                X