No announcement yet.

TS3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodworkerjake, Idlehands, and Cranky; sounds like you are 'old hat' with woodworking. I'll continue to look to your posts for advice. They've been helpful for this woodworking novice in many areas.

On the ts screw issue, my feeling was if a minor tweak fixed it, I'd do it. Something major, you're right - back it goes. I've done some work in the past with motors, so was comfortable performing the check. Would not offer that advice to those not familiar.

Anyways, my 3650 required very little tweaking out of the box. The blade appears to be slightly warped, but will check with a friends gauge. Will contact Ridgid if not true. Noticed no vibration, and once I figured out how to get the caster wheels out of the way, it passed the nickel test.

I haven't made much sawdust yet, but plan to soon. Also will be running up to HD for my extra 10% (got 10% off initially). Wonder if they'll let me open a HD charge card for another 10%? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Just got home from HD and it was like Christmas! As you may have noticed I was thrilled with my 3650 when I bought it at 10% off but they gave me a price adjustment for another 20%!! That's an unbelievable $ 418.00! The pro-desk was reluctant, but the manager ageed that had I used my original 10% coupon today he would have honored it during this sale. So I promply spent some $400.00 (due 12/2005) on more tools @ 20% off in gratitude. Got the Milwakee Circular, Porter-Cable Router kit W/plunge & fixed base and the Ridgid Jig. I'm tapped out but saved a lot of cash for the tools I was going to buy anyway. (I know: "Sucker").

To jirwin, the local HD Mgr said they weren't offering the 10% Home Depot card discount promo this week-end, but maybe different at your location.
      Also, I wish I could claim that woodworking was "old hat" to me but I don't have the skills that woodworker jake, cranky, UO woody, and others have. I'm more of a jack of all trades kind of guy. But, I do know what I know. If I can help you I'll be glad to, but for fine woodworking you could probably teach me.
      (I can't WW yet but I've got a learners permit)

Comment

Addendum to above post. The price adjustment on my saw wasn't like stealing, it was stealing! They took the 20% off the ORIGINAL price of $597 so I owe them $10 bucks. Next week I'll go back and if they want to re-run the billing it's OK with me. Doubt if they'll think it's worth the trouble though.

Comment

Originally posted by jirwin:
          Woodworkerjake, Idlehands, and Cranky; sounds like you are 'old hat' with woodworking. I'll continue to look to your posts for advice. They've been helpful for this woodworking novice in many areas.

On the ts screw issue, my feeling was if a minor tweak fixed it, I'd do it. Something major, you're right - back it goes. I've done some work in the past with motors, so was comfortable performing the check. Would not offer that advice to those not familiar.

Anyways, my 3650 required very little tweaking out of the box. The blade appears to be slightly warped, but will check with a friends gauge. Will contact Ridgid if not true. Noticed no vibration, and once I figured out how to get the caster wheels out of the way, it passed the nickel test.

I haven't made much sawdust yet, but plan to soon. Also will be running up to HD for my extra 10% (got 10% off initially). Wonder if they'll let me open a HD charge card for another 10%? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          Happy to hear the "no tweaking" required - few do based on posters.
          I admit to never even trying out the included blade - have many Forests and like that I've been using since the 1500's , weel some time now so it's a hanging and awaiting it's time.
          I was in CS line today and guy ahead of me did get a 10% adjustment - not sure for what - but he was smiling when he left. Hope they extend to you. It becomes then a "legal steal"
          A poster said Dado insert's not available but they sure plenty around here if one needs one.
          Enjoy and let us know how she does after some real slicing --- think you'll be very pleased.
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

As to the stock (included) blade----in fairness, it's rare to find a new saw with a decent blade included. About the only exception was my DeWalt CMS, which had a great blade in it.

Just figure on using the stock blade for cutting material that would be hard on a good blade (sappy pine, etc.). A good blade on a contractor's saw, along with proper alignment, will be the best thing you can do for your saw.
            Dave

Comment

Happy Holidays to all,
              I just got back from HD with a credit for $129.25 for the 3650 I bought 5 weeks ago. If I hadn't read about some of you guys doing that, I never would have thought of it. Thank You ! ! I was going to buy the 6" jointer while it was on sale but the only one they had left was the floor model and it was really beat up, so I will keep shopping for one. Thank's again !
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Wow! Just talked to my Home Depot and they say they will do the same for me. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I am new to this fourm. Picked up the 3650 saw last Tuesday. After reading here about the 20% off sale I recived my rebate yesterday. Lady in returns said there was a lot of returns for that item. No hassle which suprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by RobH:
                    Back to the subject of clamping slots in the 3650 table.

These do not seem to appear on any other saws that have a cast iron table. Why not, if they are really useful? What am I missing here?
                    As a 3612 owner (all I have ever owned), I honestly don't know how people live without them. 3612 had totally webbed extensions; the 3650 is far less versatile in this regard, but still better than most.

Aside from clamping featherboards and jigs and stuff, they let you easily mount the folding outfeed table (got plan from Cutbuff). They have a 1001 uses and keep you from storing things on the wings that shouldn't be around 3600 rpm anyway.

Since I don't and probably never will have a Unisaw, it helps to feel sorry for the poor bahstids who will never know the Power of the Web! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Totally agree with MarkIV---the open wing design goes way back through Emerson's Sears days---I have an '89 and it's been around longer than that. I think I've seen something similar on one of the Grizzley contractors' saws, but that's about it.

For the fun of it, look in the manual (I think they still have this) and see the set up for cutting coves (something I've never felt comfortable with). Just seems it would be far easier to clamp down those boards with the open wing table top.

They claim the new top design was due to customer interest. Funny thing is that here, and on other forums, the legend of the "pinched finger" developed---ironically, though, not one of those complaints was from owners.
                      Dave

Comment

Got my additional discount yesterday. Also tried to get another 10% by opening an HD charge card...no dice. Oh well, I guess asking for 30% is a bit greedy! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also picked up a Ryobi 6" bench grinder. For what I'll be doing, I couldn't beat the $31 pricetag. Alread flattened some washer edges.

I will be purchasing a couple of good blades soon, as the stock blade is good only for rough work. Any advice on what types of blades to purchase first?

Comment

jirwin----too late now, but I've read several posts where people got both the 20% and 10%----so much for HD consistancy.

As to blades, while DeWalt and Freud make excellent blades, stay away from the ones they sell at HD---these are what they call "consumer" or big-box blades---not as good as their others.

As to type----here would be my order of priority:

1) Good combo blade---40-60 tooth
                          2) Good rip blade----30-40 tooth
                          3) Good plywood/sheetgoods blade 60-80 tooth

As to brands, currently, I own DeWalt series 60 and Oldham Signiture---have some old Sears blades I use for cutting up junk. While the Oldham is good----the DeWalt cut circles around it. DeWalt no longer makes the series 60, but through Woodcraft and other ww'ing supply dealers, their new blades are equal to or better than the series 60.

Freud also has a good reputation, though I've only owned their dado sets.

Good luck
                          Dave

Comment

I'm also considering the TS3650 but have a question. How's the fence holding up for you owners? I was at HD and the fence on the floor model was really hard to true. The salesperson said it was damaged because it was a floor model. I can understand that misuse can cause problems, but I'm wondering if anyone has fence issues?

Also, I'd like to add the Craftsman router table extension to this, anyone have a reason not to or a better (similiar price) choice?

Thanks,
                            Marcus

Comment

I don't have the 3650, but it seems to be mostly the same fence as my 3612. I bought a floor model and the fence is fine. In fact, it's great. It will be quite a while before I advance to where an aftermarket fence would even start to be attractive. I have set it twice, but it wasn't the fence's fault....

ALL HD floor models are set up WRONG. Start over from scratch and follow the manual all the way through. Remember that if they did not square the table, center the belt pulleys, and about 6 other things that you take for granted, everything else is skewed and will never be right. Slop multiplies.

Check your fence for bow with a straight edge and if it is OK, follow the manual and you're good to go.

Comment

Marcus,

I would not be happy with this comment about the fence. I steered away from this saw b/c the fenced rails seemed to be made of light aluminum. It may be easily adjusted and just set up wrong. But the fence on my powermatic would be very hard pressed to be set off from people playing with it. Think of your intended use and life of saw. And cost of aftermarket fence ( 250 - 200 for a nice one ). If this saw fits the bill, great, if not, I'd look at others. At least do yourself the courtesy and check out woodworking stores to see some higher quality fences. That way you can decide if you need the accuracy for your own needs.

Personally, I was going back and forth between jet / delta / ridgid. Then I went to Woodcraft and saw different fences set up side by side. CHANGED MY PERCEPTIONS IMMEASURABLY. Ended up buying powermatic b/c fence was upgraded biesmyer clone. Thing likes down like a boulder set on the ground square & true.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X