X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650

I'm looking for a new table saw and just looked at the TS 3650. Any input on that model and the information on Ridge dropping warranty to 90 day instead of 3 yr?

I am very new to this site, but I have found more posts than I can read about the 3650. I just bought one myself and love it. So if you just look thru the fourm or do a search you can find a lot about the TS. I also read here something about still getting the life time warranty if you buy before the end of the year, I may be way off but I think that is what I read here. Good luck
    Durham

Comment

As referenced above it's been thrashed thru here many times.
      It's a nice ts, I like it and use hard. Also other nice ts's made by General and Bridgewood and others in same general price range. General being within $100-200 higher unless you have distributer nearby.
      But you asked about the 3650 - yep, a nice decent saw priced right. Good fence - not great like a Bies but still very good.
      If you can snatch the 10% discount it makes it $550 range and right now that's the only game in town IMO for good ts at great price.
      Read all here - sift thru what's been posted and just pay heed to the info from those who actually own or use to get real honest hands on skinny.
      Yep-warranty drops after 12/31/03. Rumor is they may be having tool sale before end of month but that is catch-22. Around here the 3650 moves pretty well - inventories there today then none to be found until next delivery. If they continue this pattern, it goes on sale, you may end up SOL on getting the longer warranty.
      Good luck in decision. It can be overwhelming trying to decide what's "right" for you personally
      Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Not sure if you have heard, but the lifetime warranty offer has been extended.

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...;f=19;t=000039

Comment

Finally concrete answer huh! This will be news to the HD employees I bet too. It'll be that date before they all get up to speed and on same page.
          Happy to hear it.

Pauls - you are now an official member of the Forum_________WELCOME to the ZOO ________

On that 3650 - be careful in reading everything... see "ugly situation" topic above and you'll get it down fast. Then there are many many other threads.
          Follow the links listed too-it'll show you two things. One-those who own like. Those who don't don't yet never had/used/tried.
          It also seems thread --- if you follow closely ---is anything U.S. mfg is felt by some to be the only sign of quality. Others open minded and looking for quality and value. The thread's shall get you there and you read and digest.Just be sure NOT to read the similar things stated on the "premium priced US mfg stuff-issues never happen
          You can't own Rigid, Grizzly,Ryobi,Sears,HF,some Delta, some Jet, some (jhtfes327237453$$#@@^%) because it equates to the lower level "quality" per our ..... oh never mind. He's everywhere as you shall see.
          reserves the true hatred for Rigid tho,,,,,wham bam slam thank you mamm

Get what you like after trying or very minimum feeling. Lot of good quality saws out there and 3650 is one. Mines about to get to work so happy buying.
          \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Pauls - Being a Ridgid forum and all, you're likely to get a bit-o-Ridgid bias here. Not sure why so many are concerned with which responses you should read and which you shouldn't.

Assuming you'd like to get the best saw you can afford that will suit YOUR needs, I think it's prudent to do some evaluation by comparing it to all other saws in the same broad price range and compare the features and circumstances around each particular saw.

The 3650 is a brand new design and is made by the parent company of Ryobi. It offers some interesting features that may be important to some, but like any tool, especially a brand new design, it also has some weaknesses. The things I view as positives about the 3650 are the Herculift, the solid cast wings, the position of the handwheels, availability thru HD, and the 36" rip capacity. The things that I view as negatives are the lightweight aluminum fence, no option for longer 52" rails, the fact that trunnions made of die-cast zinc vs cast iron on most similar saws, and the current state of customer service. I'm not too fond of the paper thin "free" blade either, but it's no big deal. The trunnion design on the 3650 is a bit different from most and doesn't strike me as being overly rugged compared to the standard design of the others in this price range from Jet, Grizzly, PM, Delta, General Intl, Bridgewood, Woodtek, etc. They've also been having some growing pains with motor vibration caused by a long screw that bends the fan blades...not a difficult fix from what I understand. Leg flex and throat plate flex have also been posted by several owners, but these are things that are likely to be addressed. Nonetheless, like most new saw owners, many 3650 owners seem pleased.

For less money Delta and Jet both offer durable well-proven basic saws with steel wings and lightweight aluminum fences for < $550. Grizzly has two new offerings around that price range that look really promising, but are so new that I haven't seen one or heard any reports of one. The G0444 with steel wings and a Biese style fence is $435 + s/h, the G0444Z with solid wings and a Biese style fence is $525 + s/h. Bridgewood has a nice well-proven saw with one cast iron wing and free leg set for an extension, a Biese-clone fence, and free linkbelt and machined pulleys for $529 plus 1/2 price s/h. It's only available mail order like Grizzly unless you live near the showroom. The General International 50-185M1 sells for $649 and offers one of the best stock Biesemeyer fences on the market, heavy cast iron miter gauge, two solid cast iron wings, and a hardy 2HP motor. It was ranked #1 in Fine Woodworking Magazine's current "Tools and Shops" issue, and is a proven heavy duty saw. They have a smallish, but growing dealer network and a good track record.

If the "good" features of the 3650 are important to you, and the "not so good" features aren't, and if you like it better than the other saws....go for it. They'll all spin a blade with reasonable runout and cut reasonably straight lines. After you do your homework the decision will take care of itself. Good luck.

Comment

pauls,
              The 90 days is "buy-it, try-it, see-if-you-like-it". If you don't, return it, get your money back. (If you have any 90-day projects, this means you can rent it for free.)
              The 3-years is the warantee period on the unit. That has been amended to a lifetime warantee if you buy by Jan. 31, 2004.
              If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Hewood - any idea as to why the Grizz not shipping yet? The "new" 1022 (is that right#?) seems to be in same non-ship stage. Surprising in light of holidays and all.

Finally talked to someone with a Woodtek. He likes somewhat but feels it's a little on softer side power wise and did replace the fence. Not sure what he used for comparision but he did the improvements vs buying something else so says something IMO.

On the GI - costs a few more bucks to get them big side wings. Now $694 here but fence is dream. Have seen some $50 and change price swings in it -and this still is the "anniversary" pricing. Wonder what it'll be next month
                Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Don't know what the hold up on the Grizzlies are....waiting to make a dramatic entrance I guess. Big mistake IMO. Lots of 3650's have sold in that time frame.

Comment

Well, sounds like some good post here. However I think if you do the math and add up all the features you get as stock with the TS3650, why not just by a cabinet grade saw. Do any of the above listed saw's come with a shroud around the blade? like the TS3650, for complete dust collection. Or do they have a pan that sits in the bottom of the stand while the back is wide open.

I can tell you this, I have never seen a any saw run as quiet and smooth as the TS3650.

Give the TS3650 a try

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by grey44ghost:
                      I don't believe there has ever been a post from an "owner of a TS3650" that said that there were long screws in the motor that either struck anything in the motor or that bent the fan.
                      Thank you for clearing this up, grey44ghost. I was recently reading some posts on this board and other boards where people were stating (as facts in their argument against Ridgid) that the set screws were rubbing on parts of the motor of that the long screws somehow bent the fan. This was clearly not what was originally posted, and every time I read someone posting this as a "fact", it bothers me.

Just goes to show that some people are more interested in coming up with their own version of the "truth" than stating what actually happened.

Comment

Originally posted by grey44ghost:
                        I don't believe there has ever been a post from an "owner of a TS3650" that said that there were long screws in the motor that either struck anything in the motor or that bent the fan.

Go back to the earliest posts from both myself and Andrew Benedetto as well as several others and read them for yourself. The long screws were not in any way involved with bent fans. They were installed in fans and centrifugal switches. The fans that were bent were either made that way, due to the manufacturing methods or materials or bent during installation.
                        I have read every 3650 post before and after buying my 3650 and grey44ghost is correct.
                        I have not experienced any of the minor problems some have reported and after 30 years as a machinist/mechanic I can be pretty danged fussy when I want to be. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        Lorax
                        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I am new to this board, but have been following it along for awhile during my search for a new table saw. I just took my 3650 out of the box today and, knowing the reported fan problems, opened it up to take a look before assembly. Sure enough the fan is pretty badly bent and is attached with a pretty long set screw as has been reported by some. I have read about people solving this on their own (bending, shortening, etc.), but has anyone gotten help or a replacement through RIDGID technical support? Would appreciate suggestions from those who have already gone this route.

Thanks

Comment

So--Hand' is a new owner, with a long screw and bent fan----just to clarify a point of confusion.

On a brand new saw, I'd send it back for a proper replacement.
                            Dave

Comment

I am also considering the 3650 along with several other models. I am new to this woodworking activity and have some questions for the pros.

1. Are the openings in the cast iron table on the 3650 really needed? Most other saws do not have them. I have read that it is easy to get your fingers caught in them and that is why some people don't like the openings. OTOH, it appears that they can be useful to clamp down fixtures, etc. If you don't have the openings, how hard is it to secure a featherboard, for example.

2. Is the blade shroud in the 3650 really effective for collecting dust? Does it do anything to pull saw dust down through the blade slot so that it doesn't become airborne in the first place? How does this approach compare to saws that have a plate in the bottom with a 4" vent, but an open back, such as the General 50-185?

I will probably have more questions later, but would appreciate any comments on these two now.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X