X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw BS1400 motor upgrade

I have a BS1400 bandsaw with a 3/4 HP, 1725 rpm motor. My only major complaint I have is the lack of power to resaw. I got a Harbor Freight flyer over the weekend HF motor on sale The web price shows $84.99, the flyer price is $64.99. Would this be a good choice? The RPMs is 3450, would I have to change out pulleys?

Your help and advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    John

I am interested in this question as well.

I am doing my research before I make my purchase and was concerned about the 3/4 hp motor and the ability to handle re-sawing. I read in American Woodworker review of Bandsaws (October,2004) that the BS1400 was easy to upgrade the motor, however no other specific details were given. Perhaps this was because of the location of the motor.

The article did mention that you should ask the manufacturer if the machine can handle the extra power. Also it mentioned to matche the switch's horsepower rating ans cord's amperage rating to the new motor. Surely we are not the only "Tim Taylor" types who want to soup up their power ratings. [img]smile.gif[/img]

JWTIII

Comment

Have either of you upgraded the motors? I'm considering buying one of these saws and an upgradeable motor would be enough to knock my butt off the fence.
      John

Comment

think a small block chevy with 2 4bbl carbs high lift cam 11.5-1 compresstion ratio pistons and a 400 shot of nos. would be enough????? huh huh huh do ya do ya do ya??ohhhhhh wait we could add a blower too that could be our D/C system oh man we could be the coolest wood workers ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

oh yeah i forgot make sure you change the wheels for that added bling bling factor .......................... lmao sorry guys i just wanted to have some fun thats all
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Horsepower increase would not be a problem. It would give more power and allow for faster cutting without bogging down. The motor you are looking at will not work, at twice the speed in blade travel you still would not have the power to handle the cutting but would certainly have enought speed to burn up the blades, wood and wheels of your saw. Changing the pullies would reduce the speed but also not give any better performance. Look again and find a 1 1/2 - 2 HP motor at 1750 rpm and you will have a cutting beast. I have had my BS1400 for a few years now and have not had the need for speed, the original motor does the job for me in resawwing. MHO
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
            X