Rigid Mortiser vs Delta 14-651

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Mortiser vs Delta 14-651

I am interested in purchasing a benchtop mortiser and would like to know experiences of others.

I am considering the Delta 14-651 but I have not been able to find a Ridgid Mortiser. I would consider it if anyone has had experience with one.

Ridgid makes a benchtop mortiser?

Dave

Comment

I am almost sure they do not

Comment

Isn't there a mortising attachment for the drill press?

Michael

Comment

ridgid does not make one. buy the delta!
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

The other forums have good things to say about the Shop Fox.

Comment

In my opinion, a drill press mortising rig just doesn't compare to a dedicated mortiser. The deep throat of a drill press works against it (allows more flex), the handles are too short, etc.

Dave

Comment

I have a Delta mortise attachment for my drill press. Some people say it is a pain to install, but I can get it set up in 15 minutes, including aligning to the project. I guess 15 minutes is a pain.

I cannot compare it to a dedicated mortiser for how it cuts wood, but it does a good job for me - far better than my hand cut mortises. The attachment with 4 chisels cost about $70. Add a basic drill press and it is still cheaper than a dedicated mortise machine. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The best thing you can do is throw away the fancy plastic carrying case, because to properly use the case, you have to break it down into small parts rather than leaving it half assembled. (30 minutes setup, 20 minutes to get it back into the case?).

The Delta mortise attachment appears identical to the Ridgid mortise attachment except for a different size collar/adapter (I could not use my Delta mortise attachment on a friend's Ridgid drill press because it needed a different size collar than the three that came in the Delta kit.) The Ridgid mortise attachment can be bought at www.ridgidparts.com for $39.97, and the chisels are $19.97 each. Since the Ridgid kit also fits the Delta tools, I suspect it is identical except for the additional collar.

Comment

Working...
                X