Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Decker buys Pentair (porter-cable, delta) tools!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & Decker buys Pentair (porter-cable, delta) tools!

This good or bad?

read article here

They now own: Porter-Cable, Delta and Oldham Saw.

[ 07-20-2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: dtpatt2 ]

I vote bad.

B&D has a history of reducing costs (and increasing profits) by offshoring production. You can kiss the PC line as we know it goodbye IMO. It is my hope that B&D knows how many superior tools PC makes compared to DeWalt and decides to merge the product lines together while favoring the PC line.

As far as Delta goes, I think nothing much will happen with them. Delta is a dominant line at retail stores and I don't think they'll make too many changes there (I HOPE) I think the B&D line of tools may benefit from the buyout.

Comment

Look for the Delta cordless line of tools to disappear also. That might be a good thing though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

maybe that explains all the c/c issues that delta and p/c have had lately, a buyout in the works and pissed off employees bill

Comment

I cannot see them keeping both Dewalt and PC as we have them now. I think they will move one to a super premium line and one down a bit, It will be interesting to see who ends up at the top. I think it will be PC.You could see it be a good thing if they can find a market for a no-holds-barred tool line. You could make a better line easily if you did not worry about missing out on the first-wave premium tools.

Comment

wow! interesting info - I wonder if this does mean a reduced price point for PC, they have been heading their for a while now (consumer market) - either way it looks good for the PC share holders but bad for the employees.
            What happens next, Skil buys Ridgid and Milwaukee
            [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

I don't see this as a good thing for either brand.

I used to design the Delta stationary tools when they were Rockwell, and franky, we cheapened the brand so much to keep up with foreign competition that the reutation of Rockwell/Delta came into question. When Rockwell sold the Power Tool division to Pentaire, the first thing they did was up the quality. I still remember seeing two page adds claiming "Delta: The old name, and the old quality is back!"

I don't imagine that being the case much longer under B&D. Remember when they deteriorated their hand tool quality so much that even the B&D Pro line was crappy? They had to buy DeWalt to re-badge their pro line, hoping no one would recognize it as ex-B&D Pro...

As for P/C; it never really suffered under Rockwell (except the horrible "green line" of products), and only increased in quality and reputation under Pentaire. I think this will deteriorate, too, but hopefully not before I buy the rest of the P/C tools I want! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hopefully, I'm wrong on both accounts!

Steve

BTW, Mick. Skil is a partner with Emerson, so they won't be buying Ridge Tool.

[ 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: smorris ]
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Isn't Skil the parent company of Bosch or is it Bosch is the parent of Skil?

Comment

Partnership, not parent. Emerson (Ridge's parent company) has some partnership arangement with Skil, or so I've seen in past presentations. Whether this has changed since Bosch took over Skil (or whatever that relationship is) I don't know. I'm *way* below that pay grade!
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Soooo, looks like it is a buyers market! Today I read a press release that suggested TTI (Ryobi/Ridgid manufacturer) could buy Metabo tools TTI has been looking for awhile for a top european brand, and while Metabo isnt exactly successful in the moment, they are definitely well-known in Europe. What an interesting week

Comment

Sherlock:

If I am not mistaken I Think that TTI/OWT already either own or have a partnership with metabo in some way shape or form. I am sure someone with Ridgid would know

Comment

last saturday I met the Dewalt rep at the BOB, and asked them what impact Ridgid had on the market.He said they(Dewalt) had about 60% of the cordless market and everyone else made up the difference. He said Ridgid captured 7% of the cordless market with their Lifetime warranty around xmas. now with the purchase or merger, or joint partnership, or however B&D and PC are now associated this will give Dewalt an inflated market share if they pull PC down to the weekend warrior level. I guess it is all about numbers huh?

another 2 cents

happy woodworking guys

Comment

I have a hard time believing dewalt has 60% of the cordless market.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

WHAT! You mean to say that maybe that DeWalt rep may have been exaggerating the truth a little? I've never heard of such a thing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I bet he was counting Black and Decker as well although 60% is hard to believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X