X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tool brag time

Well, we don't all have the same resources and deals just happen for whoever.

Bragging about a great deal is just about getting an opportunity and capitalizing on it. We all get those chances from time to time.

It's not really a rule so much. It's just that there are guys out there that could buy the best of everything at full price and the brag really becomes about the size of their wallet. But deals can be had by anyone and it's nice to celebrate a good deal with "friends" and celebrate their good deals with them.

Comment

As for deals, I finally committed to a 2 1/4 HP router kit. Found a Bosch 1617EVSPK-XP going for $216 new. The -XP on the model name is for the bonus accessory pack which includes an edge guide, dust extraction hood, and 3 template guides. I think those cost about $60 purchased seperately, and I really wanted an edge guide. It was a tad more than the 1617EVSPK that Lowes currently has for $199, but with no tax and free shipping I think I came out well ahead of retail

http://www.toolup.com/bosch/1617evspk-xp.html

Comment

So, is nobody even trying to get a deal on a Triton? I thought those were the hottest thing going at the moment.

Comment

I've heard plenty of good things about Triton routers, but right now they're like the unicorn of routers. Nearly impossible to find. Woodcraft.com used to carry them, but now their product page says they either discontinued it, or it's no longer available. Amazon.com says something similar. I found a few tidbits about Triton on the internet, and it seems they did some business restructuring. Supposedly their main Australian company was having issues, but the their US counterpart should have been unaffected. Since they do have such a popular product, maybe they are just selling faster than they can make new ones. Either way, I think it's pretty tough to find a deal on a product that is so rare to find

Comment

On occasional trips to the Nashville Woodcraft store I always saw them in stock and was not aware of any issues. It pays to be informed. It would be disappointing to buy a great product and not be able upgrade or adapt or service it in the not so distant future because the company went belly-up.

Comment

I think Triton has too good of a reputation and following to go completely belly up. Triton's US operations still has a web page up and there's no updates that suggest that their company is in financial trouble. If their manufacturing capacity can't meet current demand, perhaps stores like Woodcraft are dropping them now since they never have a product to keep in stock. Anyone else out there have inside knowledge on what's going on with Triton?

Comment

If anyone is still watching this thread, can I get some info on Global Machinery Company? I just bought a router table at a yard sale that is a perfect fit for my TS3650. It had a 7.5 amp router with it. I went to their website and couldn't find a manual for it. The product number, PRT85UL, was not listed on their website. Here's why I'm posting this here, I gave $40 for the whole thing, table, router, fence, wrench, 1/2" and 1/4" collets, and multiple face plate inserts. Was this a good deal or not?

Also got a Delta AP300 for $40. I know it's small with limited capacity, but that's kinda where I am right now. I've seen the mixed reviews on amazon. Anyone want to pitch the pros and cons of this dust collector here?

Comment

I just googled that model number and found quite a bit of stuff.

There are some threads over at router forums regarding that tool.

Comment

I think the bag with the AP300 is a 30 micron. Anybody know where I can get a 5 micron or a l micron bag that fits this unit? Is a bag that fine going to mess with the performance of this small unit?

Comment

I guess we needed to clarify what the purpose of the tool brag was for newbs.

Comment

I gather from the discrete lack of response the consensus is I paid what they're worth and not what they cost for the router table and the dust collector.

Information I found verified that GMC is not known for high quality woodworking tools, other than the Triton router. The mixed reviews on the AP300 may be a matter of expectations. I haven't used either yet, though I look forward trying something new (for me).

Comment

You certainly didn't get ripped off..........but I don't think that a lot of people know much about the GMC stuff. About all I know is that I used to see them in Lowes and that they were low end. That doesn't mean that they wont provide good service though.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The table is at least as good as an old Craftsman I had and it is a perfect fit for the TS, which the Craftsman wasn't. One serious drawback is insert plate is an odd size and is made to accept only the router that came with it. I think I can make a oversize frame from leftover plywood that will accommodate standard inserts and give more flexibility on routers and other upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                            X