X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Nova or something else

Just looking for a little confirmation before spending the money. I need to pick up a chuck for my Ridgid lathe. The guys at Woodcraft recommend the Super Nova, I want to make sure it's not too heavy for the motor and will be versatile enough to handle the projects I have not dreamed up yet. Any thoughts?

That chuck will work fine as long as you keep the speeds low. Do not use the higher speeds with a jaw chuck. As much less expensive alternative the the Nova chuck, I would check out Grizzly. They have a three jaw chuck thats quite a bit cheaper than the nova (though I have no idea if it is as precise).

Jake

Comment

Actually, Jake, SuperNova (which is not the same as Nova) will run fine at any reasonable lathe speed. I use mine on a Jet JML-1014 mini lathe, which has a top speed of 3,975 rpm. Should go without saying but I will anyway, the size of the work dictates speed.

SuperNova is a very good scroll chuck. It's pretty easy to argue that the OneWay Stronghold is a bit better, but at a substantially higher cost.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. What's the diameter on that chuck?

Jake

Comment

Off the top of my head, about three inches. I'll measure when I get home.

Dave

[at home] Wow, do I stink at guessing size. It's a metric "4 inches", 100mm in diameter.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Dave Arbuckle ]

Comment

Bought the Super Nova. Needed a 3/4" x 16 TPI adapter to make it fit and it works great. I highly recommend it for turning bowls.

For those of you looking for quick and impressive projects, pick up the lathe a $10 piece of wood and turn a nice bowl. I started making them as easy gifts, that are relatively cheap and take just a few hours from start to finish, and have gotten great results.

Comment

Working...
            X