X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP-DRILL PRESS-chuck keeps coming loose

I have a Ridgid 1550 drill press I just purchased, but I've been having a problem keeping the chuck on the spindal when drilling. I pressed on the chuck like the manual says (making sure to keep both the spindal and inside face of the chuck clean).

Everything works fine until get in a situation where the bit vibrates a little. An example would drilling out a mortise with a 5/8" fostner bit. If my workpiece shifts a little and the bit rubs against the side walls of the mortise I'm drilling (as I'm slowly plunging the bit up and down), this lateral vibration / pressure causes the chuck to work loose and slide off the spindal.

It's getting me pretty frustrated since I don't think the chuck should come off that easily. Am I not using enough pressure to mount the chuck? Should I use a wood block and hammer to mount it by tapping the chuck in order to get a firmer fit?

Re: HELP-DRILL PRESS-chuck keeps coming loose

not familair with the ridgid DP as I have a Delta brand one, but I assume they are all the same (is it a morse taper?). what I did with mine was open the chuck all the way so that the teeth are well inside the chuck and not protruding out of it. then, I placed a block of wood under the chuck (2x4, or other scrap) and whacked it upwards with a mallet. this will push the chuck into the spindle tighter than you pushing it manually, and should hold it nicely in place.

hope this makes sense, and helps.

google "replacing chuck on drill press" and you'll get the idea. I did this when I replaced the chuck on mine with a keyless Jacobs chuck... best upgrade ever!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpLev View Post
      not familair with the ridgid DP as I have a Delta brand one, but I assume they are all the same (is it a morse taper?). what I did with mine was open the chuck all the way so that the teeth are well inside the chuck and not protruding out of it. then, I placed a block of wood under the chuck (2x4, or other scrap) and whacked it upwards with a mallet. this will push the chuck into the spindle tighter than you pushing it manually, and should hold it nicely in place.

hope this makes sense, and helps.

google "replacing chuck on drill press" and you'll get the idea. I did this when I replaced the chuck on mine with a keyless Jacobs chuck... best upgrade ever!
      +1
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I believe it's a morse taper - this DP is has a smooth spindal that the chuck gets pressed onto. There's no slots or keys for alignment. Anyway, the manual doesn't go into any detail on how much pressure you're supposed to use when pressing it on. They say open the chuck all the way and use the press lever to press it down onto a block of wood to seat it. I'll use the mallet approach and see how that goes - thanks.

Comment

Most RIDGID drill presses have a Jacobs taper spindle rather than a Morse taper socket type spindle. The way to seat it is to first press it on like in the manual and then give it a few hard straight onward taps with either a block of wood or if you have or can access one a brass or aluminum hammer. Please do not strike any machine part with a steel hammer.

I have found that putting a block of wood on the table and pressing the chuck on and then doing a hard woodpecker approach works. You raise up the chuck and then quickly lower it a few times into the block of wood. Do this only with the chuck jaws fully open.

Please note that just a tiny bit of dirt or oil on either the spindle or the chuck will keep it from properly seating. Wipe both out well with a clean paper towel and then blow off any lint.

WARNING NOTE: If there is any chance you might want a different chuck on your drill press now is the time to get it. Once you really have a chuck properly installed removing it doesn't come easy and especially on the type of spindle you most likely have.

I personally prefer a goodGerman Rohm or Jacobs true industrial grade keyed chuck that can hold down to a 0.040" shank so I can use a #60 twist drill bit for small holes. As for keyless chucks the really good ones made by Albrecht cost more than your drill press. You really don't need one of them however.

Please post a follow up and let us know how things are going. There are some special ways to deal with PITA problems if you have them, but for now let's not go there.

Comment

if there is side pressure your chuck can work loose very easily, tapered chucks are not designed to side pressure, (milling machines have draw bars to pull the chuck in tight),

not saying that is your problem but it may have some thing to do with it,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The 1550 has a Jacobs Taper. The taper and the socket has to be very clean and absolutely free of any oil, grease, dust etc. in order to fit properly.

As Woussko decribed, it is not designed for any side-pressure as one might apply by routing out a mortice. Also, no off balance operation, like using a fly-cutter, should ever be used on the 1550.

I would also suspect that if the taper has received any damage, it would work against any possibility of a good fit.

Here's an image of the markings on my 1550 chuck:

CWS

Comment

CWS

Thanks for the picture of the chuck. I thought it was a male Jacobs taper spindle and you just confirmed it. It has a #3JT

With that in mind seating it carefully and then a few good smacks straight upward with a block of wood or a brass hammer will help seat it.

I personally will never have any part of a drill press that doesn't have a Morse taper socket spindle, but then I'm spoiled. Vibration can make the arbor fall out however.

A drill press is sure not a milling machine, but I really think his issue is that the chuck isn't really seated well enough on the spindle. Delta used a #33JT spindle on many of their woodworking drill presses for years and I bet they still do. I used a woodpecker method to seat chucks on them. A few good impacts work wonders but you really must have super clean surfaces and not have any damages.

Comment

Part 2 - For anyone wanting a better chuck and especially before you install the chuck which comes with this drill press you can buy a good Jacobs or Rohm industrial grade keyed chuck. For woodworking you most likely won't want or need it. If anyone ever wants info on a good replacement, PM me and I'll give you some info about them.

Comment

I just finished putting together my Ridgid 1550 drill press. I painstakingly cleaned the inside of the chuck as well as the spindle before installing it according to the instructions in the manual. It seems to be firmly in place but there's really no way of knowing it is fully seated until I start using it. As you can see in the close up picture, the top edge of the chuck is sitting abit above the lower edge of spindle groove. Should I still give it the upwards whacks just to make sure?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Years ago, I had a similar problem. An ole' machinist recommended thorough cleaning, then wiping the male taper with chalk before assembling the tapered surfaces. It's never loosened since. BUT - please don't try this unless others agree because I don't know the level of risk of damage to the taper surfaces. I don't think I've ever had mine apart since I "chalked" it.

Comment

Chalking the taper won't hurt a thing. It simply puts a little "filler" in place if there is any mismatch at all in the cut of the two tapers, creating a tighter fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X