X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ts3650 on the way out?

I've noticed that the new granite top table saws are now available at Home Depot, the R4511, I think. Are these saws going to replace the TS3650? I noticed that this is all that is in stock now. I love the idea of the granite top to add weight, but the rip capacity is much shorter on the R4511. Any news or info? I love my TS3650. I'd hate to see the model disappear.

Re: Ts3650 on the way out?

The 3650 was replaced quite awhile ago by the 3660. The newest offering, the 4511, is indeed replacing the 3660. The rip capacity on the RH side of the blade on the 4511 can be increased by simply moving the rails over to the right.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      The 3650 was replaced quite awhile ago by the 3660. The newest offering, the 4511, is indeed replacing the 3660. The rip capacity on the RH side of the blade on the 4511 can be increased by simply moving the rails over to the right.
      Typical of Ridgid - Take a great saw, with fantastic reviews, and a great price tag and remove it from their tool offering lineup. Sometimes I think the company is run by a bunch of monkeys.

Comment

It's not like they replaced it with a overpriced piece of crap.

I have the 3660 and would like the newer saw better if only it had a cast iron top.

Comment

Good insight on moving the rails to the right. I meant to write 3660, not 3650 in my original post. The only problem I see with moving the rails to the right more is that the ruler on the rails would then be useless, Unless I am missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
            Good insight on moving the rails to the right. I meant to write 3660, not 3650 in my original post. The only problem I see with moving the rails to the right more is that the ruler on the rails would then be useless, Unless I am missing something.
            A new ruler is cheap.

If I had that saw I'd change the fence rail to a one piece with longer rails. You can search this forum for posts about that.

Comment

I agree with you. The 4511 is definitely a nice saw. I like the fact that the motor is enclosed in the cabinet instead of hanging out of the back. I like my cast iron top too because I can use magnetic feather boards. The only drawbacks I see to the new saw is the inability to use magnetic feather boards and the rip capacity is 6 inches shorter.

Comment

Also a good point. I'll stick with my 3660 for now. If I came home with another new saw, I think I would end up divorced.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                  You can actually lift the tape and relocate it most of the time.

I think the virtues of the R4511's hybrid design pretty handily outweigh the two drawbacks you mentioned, which are actually pretty minor. However, I'm not convinced that the R4511 is yet "fully evolved". They did well on their first attempt with this saw, but I'd like to see a cast iron version, and possibly a more completed fence system (with faces included and a different handle). Other than that, for $600 you get a 450# hybrid saw (very stable), with good dust collection, no motor hanging out the back (no lifting hazard, smaller footprint), a shorter drive belt (better power transfer, lower vibration), large handwheels, a mobile base, a steel t-square fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, and a riving knife. Not bad...

Comment

I really do like the R4511. I think Ridgid really did their homework. The riving knife almost justifies the upgrade for me. The only reason I've decided to stick with my TS3650 is because I promised myself that my next saw would be a full blown cabinet saw. That upgrade won't happen until the wife and I get a new house were I can have a dedicated shop.

Until then, I'll continue to drool over the new Unisaw...

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                      for $600 you get a 450# hybrid saw (very stable), with good dust collection, no motor hanging out the back (no lifting hazard, smaller footprint), a shorter drive belt (better power transfer, lower vibration), large handwheels, a mobile base, a steel t-square fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, and a riving knife. Not bad...
                      Jeez, now I want one! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSJohnson View Post
                        Jeez, now I want one! Thanks a lot!
                        I knew your wife/SO wasn't going to like me!

Comment

Working...
                        X