X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 vs. Grizzly G0444Z

Just saw an ad in the December 2003 issue of Popular Woodworking for the Grizzley G0444Z for $525 plus $75 shipping. Close to what I'd pay for the 3650 with sales tax here in upstate NY. The Grizzley has a 2 HP motor, cast iron table and wings, 57" rails, Shop Fox Fence, Dust hood underneath, and includes a dado insert. Says extension rails to rip up to 50" wide are optional. Any thoughts from the experts out there? I realize they do not offer the lifetime warranty, but issues of what constitutes a "life time warranty" still are troublesome.

Thanks for your opinions!

NN---I'm not a big fan of the new 3650, but if you're having second thoughts, frankly, I wouldn't consider the Griz'. They have an excellet reputation on their 1023 cabinet saw, but don't see too many people with their contractors' saws and of those who do have one, a number haven't been happy. Also, I've yet to see a Griz' contractors' saw get a good review in magazine tool reviews----the Ridgid 3612, Griz' 1023 have been well rated, in past reviews.

If you're having second thoughts, I'd look into Bridgewood. They've been in mag. reviews----think I remember Wood rated them a best buy, and have heard good comments on them. At a higher price point, Delta is an excellent contractors' saw.
    Dave

Comment

The Grizzly "looks" like it may have some advantages over the 3650 with the fence. The 0444Z is new and I haven't read any field reports on it, and from what I understand the 0444Z is backordered. Could turn out to be a better deal than the 3650 IMO....why didn't they put a Biese type fence on that saw?

As previously suggested, the Bridgewood is a well proven choice with an excellent fence and good backing from Wilke Machinery. A similar saw that I think has a couple of advantages over the BW is the General Intl 50-185 - outstanding fence and miter gauge, 2 cast iron wings, DC pan, and a dealer network.

Comment

Not endorsing bridgewood, but I have a link to the only bridgewood contractor saw review I could find. Hope it helps. I recently purchased powermatic 64A w/ 50 inch table. I hate trying to choose from all the vanilla / chocolate flavors out there.. lol But after grunting through using good saw with terrible fence, I went with a saw with a great fence. Found it on special for 850 at a local WW store after 10 % open house discount. I try to buy all my tools at a local store if I can because I like the warm fuzzys of somebody to service me if I have any problems. But have not had any problems with tools yet. *knocking on wood*

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...tablesaw4.html

Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X