X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press table

Hello, I'm new to the Forum,its great to be here. What do you guys do when you add a Drill press Table to your drill press, It seems the drill press table I made is in the way of The lever to raise and lower the press.I built this nice drill press table and now it seems unusable because of this. anybody have some quick fixes? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: Drill press table

When I built mine I raised it up about 3" above the DP table. I cut a 3" hole centered under the quill and made drop-in inserts that I could easily replace when they got too badly mangled up. The raised platform also allows space underneath for bits and a sanding drum to pass and to hook up my shop-vac to collect chips and such.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have the same issue, the after market drill press table I bought gets in the way of the lever. I typically dont drill holes very deep so what I did was to remove one of the three handles, easy fix. Down the road I make some shorter handles but so far removing one has worked fine.

Comment

I'm not sure which "handles" you're referring to. I have the Rockler table mounted to my Ridgid 1550. There is a "cut-out" in the back of the horizontal table surface to allow for the table elevation handle. So, on my Rockler table the elevation handle has been allowed for in the design.

However, the quill handles do interfere with the table fence, if the table is too high. I just keep that in mind when I'm adjusting the table elevation, and make sure that the handle will clear the fence. I haven't had any problems with it, thus far.

Here's a picture showing my particular mounting method for the Rockler table, ( I didn't use their hardware and clamps method). In this manner I just loosen two capscrews and slide my table off the cast iron platform. You can see the notched out area of the table for the elevation crank, just to the right of the column.

In the second picture, you can see that you have to be careful with the table elevation, do to the fence interferance with the quill handles. (Sorry, but I don't yet have a picture in the library showing the view from the right).

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X