Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP0610 outfeed table adjustment

Hi guys,
    I just purchased a JP0610 jointer/planer and I can't get the outfeed table quite even with knives, table just a tad low. I have loosened the locking screw but the adjustment knob on outfeed table is real stiff and only has about an 1/8" inch adjustment. Is this all normal? Thanks ahead of time.

Re: JP0610 outfeed table adjustment

Doesn't sound normal to me. I have the same jointer. First, is the jointer new or used? Do you have the manual? You can download it from Ridgid's website. Also, you do not want the outfeed table level with the knlves, you want it level with the infeed table. There are any number of good howto's on jointer tuneup on the web. Just go to Google, and put in jointer tuneup.
    "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

I have to disagree, the outfeed side should be level with the top of the knives at their highest point. The infeed side should be lower than the outfeed side.

I don't have the Ridgid jointer but I do agree that what you are describing doesn't sound right. Possibly a little lubrication is in order.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Actually you do want the outfeed table exactly even with the knives and coplanar with the infeed table. Not sure what the maximum adjustment is but make sure the knives are seated far enough into the cutter head. The trailing edge of the knife should be even with or slightly proud of the cutter head. The outfeed table should not move easily but if it is seized up you may have to loosen the gib screws to free it. Be aware that you will have to adjust the gibs to make the infeed and outfeed coplanar once you loosen up the outfeed

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
          Actually you do want the outfeed table exactly even with the knives and coplanar with the infeed table. Not sure what the maximum adjustment is but make sure the knives are seated far enough into the cutter head. The trailing edge of the knife should be even with or slightly proud of the cutter head. The outfeed table should not move easily but if it is seized up you may have to loosen the gib screws to free it. Be aware that you will have to adjust the gibs to make the infeed and outfeed coplanar once you loosen up the outfeed
          coplanar implies in the same plane. The infeed and the outfeed should be parallel but not in the same plane.

The outfeed is level with the cutting blades and the infeed is lower by whatever amount you want to plane off.

BadgerDave has it right.

Comment

BadgerDave has it right.
            I concur, outfeed table should be at theTDC height of the knives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4W-JKYRbXY

When you check the in and out feed tables for co-planer, that is only
            when the infeed is set to the same height as the outfeed, a condition
            in which the jointer will do no work, since the board will just skim over
            the top of the blades.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 07-26-2009, 10:48 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still a little confused about the stiffness of the outfeed table adjustment knob. The owners manual says to loosen the lock screws 1st but so far as I can understand there is one locking screw on each table, the one with the little tab hanging off it.

Comment

Yes those are the lock screws. If it is too stiff to move you may need to loosen the gib screws (two on the outfeed table) free up the table then set the infeed level with the outfeed, put a straight edge across both tables and then adjust the gibs to make the tables coplanar again

Comment

If I adjust the gibb screws I risk getting a bow in the outfeed table, any suggestions before I start?

Comment

Check for coplanar (level across infeed and outfeed) before you start. If it is level now you can put it back to level by adjusting the screws. If it is not level you need to play with the screws anyway. Patience and small adjustments will be required to get it back to coplanar once you free up the outfeed. Have you tried spraying with a penetrating oil before you get started? Maybe the shipping grease has hardened and you just need to loosen it up a bit

Comment

Something about your original post nagged at me, and now I know what it was. You said you couldn't get the outfeed table even with the knives. This may sound simplistic, but you get the knives even with the outfeed table, not the other way around.
                      "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

I did try to adjust the knives to the outfeed table but with the outfeed table all the way up I think the knives are still a tad high in relation to the outfeed. I have read that when you lay a straight edge across the cutters & outfeed table the straight edge should move down about an 1/8" as you rotate cutter knife past the straight edge, mine moves about 1/4". It seems to cut fine though so I plan on leaving things as they are until I need to adjust knives again or have them sharpened instead of risking bow in my outfeed table now. I am a little concerned about the stiffness of outfeed adjustment and I'm going to keep all this useful info you guys have provided for next time I adjust everything.
                        Thanks,
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X