X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of a water heater

i know i've made references to it before. but today i took pictures of the dead water heater on the 3rd. level of a carpeted home.

so how do you get a leaking, rusty, 40 gallon heater out of a 3 story house with carpets by yourself

you use a body bag

not the first time i've done this trick, but the first time i've taken pictures of the recently departed

the nice thing about the body bag is it's water tight, has a zipper that zips 270 degrees around and is free

so first off the bat, you need to drain it as best as possible. this one was full off anode goo. 9 years old and never drained.

i lay out the cardboard from the water heater box to protect the local area. then i pull the heater out of the raised closet. still standing up. i take the bag and drop over it. then i lay it down and zip the bottom shut. stand it back up and strap it to my dolly.

with the heater completely wrapped and secured. it's time to cart it down the 4 flights of stairs to the garage. once outside, i can remove the bag and fold it up for the next dead one

rick.

always nice to have a dr. in the family i'm sure you can purchase them from a medical supply outlet.

heater out of the closet standing on the old heater box, protecting the carpet. body bag pulled over the top.

lay heater down to zip the bottom shut and stand it back up.

all strapped up on my aluminum 3 in 1 dolly.

if i told you how long it took for the owner to snap 1 photo of me and the heater, i could have already had the new heater up the stairs and in the closet.

heater made it 4 flights of stairs and never spilled a drop on the carpets.

so there is my tip of the trade for getting leaking heaters out of a carpeted home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Death of a water heater

Funny, I got mine replaced yesterday.
    The fella who did the job used all kinds of tarps on the floors and encased the tank in an oversized condom of some kind.

I considered a tankless but for my family size it just made no financial sense.
    I really wanted one because that's what we used in the old country for the last 50 or so years and they worked great.

The difference though is that the old style had lust a simple lever (no computers inside) and we had one at each point of use if distance from the heater to the tap was too long (like in an average house).
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

We used to use morgue sheets for ground covers when we would go camping.
      Then we would use specimen cups for our tequila shots

The campers next to us would always seem worried about us ..I never knew why as
      we all worked in a hospital ha ha ha.

Cactus Man

Comment

why is this in the woodworking section? Trying for a new fan base?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          why is this in the woodworking section? Trying for a new fan base?
          didn't even think of that

what i saw was the tips and techniques.

the plumbing section is too specific with ask the pro or pros only.

rick.

p.s. i can use the fan base, just as long as they rub off and give me splinters
          phoebe it is

Comment

Don't they say that a murder occurs every 17 minutes in California?

That would mean you can find those body bags at walmart! In the evidence recovery aisle.

That actually looked like a 7X which I might consider buying, I've been needing some clothes that help me with my incontinence as of late.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Rick and Joey, I think I smell a new business for you to get into. Design and sell Water Heater Bags. A human body and a water heater need different bag designs. For water heaters I can see one made out of heavy denim where it can be fully unzipped and washed in a commercial clothes washer. Think sort of like a big tuff sleeping bag but no insulation or lining inside. You can make a small one for 30-40 gallon water heaters and a larger one for 50-65 gallon. While you're at it make a mini for little 10-20 water heaters.

Actually for small water heaters I think the really tuff contractor trash bags should work pretty well. Just be sure to tie up the open end well.
              Last edited by Woussko; 07-28-2009, 05:20 AM.

Comment

All kidding aside, that is a great idea.

All plumbers should be made aware of this as it would save them a lot of work (and money for tarps).

Some of our DIY'ers could also benefit from this tip the next time they replace their own (electric) water heaters. Leave the gas lines to the pros.

Bill

Comment

I had been considering these.

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=234

But now you've got me thinking I need to make friends with a Medical Examiner.

J.C.

Comment

{{Young man stands nervously at the drug store counter}}

"Can I .... ummmmm... have a pack of mints...... ummmmm... an Enquirer.....ummmmm... another pack of mints....... ummmm (murmurs) a pack of condoms.... ummmmm... and, ummm, (murmers) three body bags please?"

Comment

My friend found a green body bag in Yellowknife when I lived there. It was like military green and rubber and it had handles on it. I'm pretty sure he got it from the back of a wrecked hearse in the industrial park. He didn't really have any use for it but he was a pretty morbid kid so it made him excited. I have no idea what it's doing now but after seeing this post I kind of want it lol. The guy who changed my last water heater used polyethylene and just duct taped the top and bottom. Seems like kind of a waste of money. I'm sure you could get into a company that makes washable tarps, drop sheets and cloth/nylon containers for use in the trade. Painters, plumbers, and anyone else who does messy work could probably put them to good use.
                      Nice post.

Comment

Working...
                      X