X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router insert or dont bother?

I have a craftsmen benchtop router table. I mounted the fixe d base to it and it makes it easy to slip in the router when in use. I like it except for no starting pin and the fence isn't split.
    I alos have a 3650 table saw (which I love BTW) Should I consider building the insert? I guess I'll lose dust collection and the ability to bury the bit in the fence. Are there any advantages?
    I don't do much project wise yet but I do enjoy the hobby.
    Right now I store my rigid planer in that open spot on the table with a stand below.

Re: Router insert or dont bother?

RJM78, my choice would be to build a dedicated router table/cabinet. A router makes a ton of dust and you can get really effective dust collection with a table mounted to a cabinet. I built one and I barely get a trace of dust on top when routing MDF. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=router+table You can purchase nice fences from places like Rockler for under $100 bucks and even purchase the table tops.

millman

Comment

That is a nice rig you built. My problem is way to little room. If anything, I could build a better benchtop table. I would like peoples input as to why do the table saw version. So many people have it it seems.

Comment

I decided to use the fence area on my TS-3660 Ridgid table saw. I bought a cast iron leaf table top extension with a set up designed specifically as a industrial router set up. It was around $220.00 Canadian web site general.ca
        ROUTER FENCE (#50-295) & EXTENSION WING WITH ROUTER INSERT (#50-195)
        HELP I'm looking for a table router that is 1/2" not just 1/4"
        I looked at a lot of routers trying to find one that had a deep enough plunge so that I could get the neck of the bit holder high enough to allow me ¾ to 1 inch of extra plunge height to compensate for the table thickness. I looked at many different brand names and various models of router from $69-$ 389 and I have only found one so far that will do the extra plunge distance. Of all the routers the $65 Ryobi 1.5 is the only router so far that I have found on the market that looks to be specify designed to be used upside down under a router table. There seems to be some consideration from the engineer designer to have it accommodate 1" thick table tops.
        Last edited by Blkjack; 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

There are many that are designed for use in a table. If they offer above the table adjustment to the tool height then they have made an effort to work with a table.

Ridgid, Milwaukee, Frued, Bosch, Porter Cable and several others have models that are modified for table top convenience.

Triton may have the best overall features for this but it is getting hard to locate.

And if you want above the table adjustments you probably ought to go with a plate so that the router only has to accommodate for a 1/4" or 3/8" thickness.

Comment

Yes I had looked at that but I wanted in my table saw top as I don't have room for a router table on a soild stand. The cast iron table to , as I said is about 1" of distanced to the top side of table. Yes I did see 1, I think a Freud and a Ridgid that has the adjustment throught the table top and i have to order a Ridgid part

Comment

Shopnotes #106 had an article on making a router table wing fo a table saw.

Comment

FYI, you dont NEED a table with a starter pin, you can use a piece of wood (or whatever) clamped to the router table as the pivot

Comment

Originally posted by mike gager View Post
                  FYI, you dont NEED a table with a starter pin, you can use a piece of wood (or whatever) clamped to the router table as the pivot
                  Thanks to all of you for your input, since I lasted posted to this forum I have managed to see a few more routers and table setups. I also decided that I very much like the cast iron router top and router fence setup from General tools out of Montréal for $237.00. After viewing many different router table setups, there were very few that I would have been happy with. All of the ones that I would have considered were $350-$500 setups and all of them seemed light duty at best, but then I’m very biased against plastics and light weight aluminum products that are used with powerful spinning sharp things. Ideally I would have loved to have found a cast iron table top that had been milled to except a standard router table insert from Freud. I also found an above table ½” collect extension. As for a staring peg , I have drilled and taped a 5/16” hole, as it’s very easy to drill in cast iron.

Comment

Working...
                  X