Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yankee Workshop Plans

Hi Guys:

Anyone out there have any New Yankee Workshop plans they wana share or trade?
    I'm looking for the Router Table plans and the Jewlery Case. Hell i'm interested in alot of Norm's stuff.

Man ya know, that show is on every morning when I'm eating breakfast and I'm sitting there going... Yeah right. If I had access to the thousands of tools he had, I'm sure I could follow the directions and make some of that stuff too. But when all I have is a table saw....

But I still love that show that they go find some piece of furniture, then they remake it with cheap wood, then they make it again with the real wood.. Sheesh. Blows me away half the time.

Sorry I didn't answer your question about having plans, but I just love watching that show.

--Mike

Comment

I love norm, it to sad that pbs is thinking of getting rid of Norm.
      Andy B.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy B.:
        I love norm, it to sad that pbs is thinking of getting rid of Norm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wish I could watch it. It's on at 4:00am here in the left coast!!

Bubba

Comment

Andy B.

Where did you hear that PBS was considering cancelling NYW? I know that it used to be on every night at 9:30 on PBSYou, but it is not anymore. I figured that it was because they had showed the same shows numerous times, so they changed the programming. Even if they do, I am sure that one of the networks such as HGTV will probably pick it up. At least I hope

-Rob
          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Mike and Andy, you are both full of sawdust. [img]smile.gif[/img] Mike, the number of tools you have doesn't make you a skilled Woodworker. If you will watch very carefully, you will notice that Norm uses a pretty basic array of tools on each show. Table saw, planer, jointer, router, drill press and perhaps a sander. Now, if you only have one router, you can do as most of us do and change bits, instead of changing routers. These types of tools can be found in many, many workshops. Norm's tools may be bigger or newer, but accomplish the same task as yours or mine. [img]smile.gif[/img] You will note that Norm often tells you he is using his 36" sander to save time, but you could use other means. Also, does the fact that the show is underwritten by Delta-Porter Cable give you any clues as to why he has so many tools. I watch the show for techniques as much as anything else.

Andy, don't know where you are getting your info but here is the schedule for New Yankee WS for 2002. NYWS is one of the most popular shows on PBS. Check out the NY website and get the real scoop! By the way, there are only about 150 or so episodes, and that's why you see so many repeats.
            http://www.newyankee.com/2002.shtml

If you want to know more than you really need to know about New Yankee WS go here:
            http://woodbutcher.net/norm.htm

As long as I am lecturing you youngsters; Bubba, I'm ashamed of you. Getting up at 4:00 to watch Norm is a part of the Woodworkers code. By the way, I hear they have a new contraption called a VCR. I think you put the sawdust in the slot at the front.
            Dick

Comment

The one thing you must have if you are build anything the "Norm" way is an air nailer. I've never seen some one put so many nails in things.

Comment

My understanding is that he only uses those nails "until the glue dries". Do they ever show the 150kW electromagnet he uses to get them back out?

Dave

Comment

Norm and I use the same type of glue---extremely slow setting (measured in years). As a result, getting the nails out has never been a problem.

Happy New Year everybody.
                  Dick

Comment

I just bought a used New Yankee Workshop book from Amazon.com. It was about $14 delivered to my house vs. $23 new. It has plans for 8 different projects in it plus a lot of text and explanations. The book I bought corresponds with the original season of the show, which will be replayed starting next week on HGTV. If you buy the book and tape the first 8 shows you will have both the video and the plans (8 x $25 = $200 on the New Yankee website). Just a thought!!

Comment

Hi all...
                      I too love NYW. In fact I can honestly say that I have seen every show. I do own plans for several of their projects. For those interested in owning the plans/videos here is a little info. The videos are EXACT copies of what airs on TV minus the commercials. There is no additional footage. Also, please do not share, swap, or give away the plans you have purchased from NYW. This is called copyright infringement and IS against the law This is a REAL problem in America and discourages artists from continuing to contribute to their field. This is intellectual property and buying the plans does not give you rights to them. You purchase rights only for your personal use.

I don't want to lecture anyone but as a business owner that deals with these issues I felt it should be brought up. The best thing you can do is support the New Yankee Workshop and buy the plans for yourself. This is how we ensure Norm is around for our future viewing pleasure.

If you would like more info on Copyright law just email me and I'll share. Thanks all!
                      - Tim

Comment

So does anyone want to share plans?

Comment

Not to take this thread TOO far from wordworking, but it is not apparent on the face of things that lending someone a copyrighted plan is a Copyright Law violation. In general, one who purchases a copyrighted book has the right to re-sell it, and people do that regularly. Likewise, people who purchase a copyrighted book lend it to others, at least if they liked it. That which is protected by copyright is the right to make (and sell) COPIES of the work; it may well be a violation for A to lend B a plan, which B then copies for himself and then returns the original (though I'm not sure how the "fair use doctrine" would apply here). But the violation (if one there be) is making the copy.

Comment

So if a bunch of guys all pooled their plans into a library and always pulled the originals, without making copies, they could all share the same set of plans without copyright violation?
                            \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Our woodworkers club has done precisely that. Public Libraries exist for no other purpose than to share books.

I suppose a license agreement could be attached to the plans that do not allow this activity, like much computer software has.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X