X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt/Disc Grit Preference

For those of you with belt/disc sanders, what grit of paper do you run? Do you use the same grit for both the belt and the disc?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Belt/Disc Grit Preference

Depends on the job. Mostly on the disk sander (not orbital) I run 16 grit "Boulder Coat" for paint removal hogging. The belt sander sees 36-40 open coat and 80 closed coat mostly.

"Boulder Coat" are Norton fiber back industrial disks and they are dangerous. Full face shield, heavy denim jacket and gloves are a must. When the grit comes loose and flies it reminds me of Yea Olde Auss Blaster and rock salt.
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-02-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I am thinking you are asking about benchtop or free standing sanders, not hand held tools.

I run either 100 or 120 in the disc and the belt for most work, and adjust speed to achieve some additional control over how aggressive it is, along with feed pressure of course.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, you're correct, I was referring to the benchtop/free standing combo belt/disc sanders.

I'm currently running 100 grit for both the belt and the disc and was curious what others have on theirs. My sander doesn't have a speed control so sometimes if I'm not careful I can hog off a little more material than I want too. I think that I'm going to bump the belt up to 120 or 150 grit so I was just wondering if others use either on a regularl basis.

Comment

I like to acheive as smooth of a finish as I can and not remove more material than I want to so I usually do not ever use anything below 120 grit.

Big G

Comment

Mr. Dave's nice sanding machine. It's OK to send this in your Dear Santa letter in case it's not there now. :-)

Last edited by Woussko; 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Woussko, I only wish I had one like that but this one does a pretty good job for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Woussko, I only wish I had one like that but this one does a pretty good job for me.

I kind of went wild with the picture of the Powermatic. I think all of us would love a check made out to us for the amount of $$$ one of them would cost. I bet your's does fine.

For fun I was looking at a big stationary disc sander by another company which has a mini dust collector in the base. That would be nice but again the old $$$ factor makes it something for a production shop but not for home users.

Comment

This beast by Kalamazoo Industries has a dust collector system in the base. I can only guess the price, but I bet "My Little Garbage Can Car" costs far less when brand new.

S612 & S612V Combination Sander With Vacuum !! 3 HP !!! Made in USA!!!
                  6" x 48" belt, 12" Disc, Vacuum Base

3HP 1PH 220 OR 3HP 3PH 220/440 volt. ( Specify voltage) Manual switch with overload protection.
                  Built in 100 CFM dust colletor base with cartridge filter. Quick change belt, pre-tensioned one lever belt change...FAST !!
                  Models: # S612V-1 Vacuum base, 1 phase/220 volt
                  # S612V-3 Vacuum base, 3 phase 220 /440 volt
                  Made in USA !!!
                  Dimensions: L12" x W14" x H60", Weight: 500 lbs.
                  Specifications: Belt Sander
                  Work Table- Cast iron 6" x 10" with 1/2" x 1/8" slot
                  Platen- Steel 6-1/2" x 14"
                  Belt- 6" x 48" - 2800 SFPM

Disc Sander
                  Work table- Cast Iron 8" x 14"
                  Disc- 12" aluminum disc, 5/8" arbor Speed- 2500 RPM
                  Last edited by Woussko; 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Geeeeeeez Guys, you're embarrassing me!

This litte Ryobi is all I have... does the trick though.

I've had this since 2003 and I'm still using the original 80 grit belt and disc. Guess it shows how often I use it!

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I use a Rikon 6x48 / 10" disc.

I have 120 on my belt and 240 (or is it 220?) on the disc. I tend to use the disc for sanding rounded corners, so I don't want an aggressive, rough edge.

I use the belt for aggressive hogging of inside corners, but usually will finish that sanding with the OSS. I also use the belt for sanding my ice scraper's edge and lawn mower blades.

Comment

Working...
                      X