Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
    I could be wrong, but the way I read this, the OP wants to hang vertically (side by side) from the ceiling to the floor. Make the seams of the hardboard land on the garage wall studs. They should be 16'' on center. Use 1 1/4'' Drywall screws and you'll only have to use one tool to take them down. Make sure the first panel is plumb and the other two should butt up nicely.

Thank You for your reply, had I not read some of this forum before I even posted it would have taken me a bit to figure out what "OP" was... I was KINDA thinking of Andy Griffith for a while when I first saw it.

Anyway, you are correct. It is from floor to ceiling but it is in front of the garage door which open like a roll top desk so actually mounting it (even semi permanently) with any type of fastener to the garage door would put me it the hospital if the wife ever found out. I do like the idea and am gonna look at the door to see if there are any ways I might be able to break it down without to much extra work and go from there...

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      Lol, maybe he should come back to this thread and clear this up.
      Thanks for the encouragement to get back here. Had I known that people here were anywhere near as helpful (and responsive) I would have actually tried to stay logged on for a bit longer. But honestly I had NO IDEA it would be this fast or this many replies.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
        Maybe he actually wants them to hang ....a partion in the garage.Some well placed hooks for that.

Thank You for your reply. I like the idea of hooks so far. Now I got to find a way to MAKE SURE that I could get them all aligned for when I hang the Hard Board that they would butt up against each other.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Photographer....Backdrop?

Track below
          swing clip/hinge/block/bent nail/Bubble Gum ABOVE.

Set it in the track and drop/apply retainer.

No tools.

BINGO ! That is mostly of what I am trying to do. I know what a hinge is and a bent nail but HONESTLY the rest is WAY over my head. (Ok so I also knwo what Bubble Gum is but not sure if there is a different meaning here)

Thank You for the idea of the hinges though. A piano hing would do great, but would have to make sure it could support the weight.

Thanks for the response...

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
            Yep, that's my take; I was really confused by the wording at first (I think the *why* may've helped considerably here)...

But... to hang from the ceiling, but not necessary touch the ceiling or the floor suggests a floating partition wall to me.

I second the hooks. A couple links of chain can be used to position the height from the ceiling (dunno 'bout you, but the ceiling in my garage is two stories tall, so I'd need considerable lowering of the hooks somehow).

If you only need to take the panels down every now and then, temporarily, and it's okay to temporarily leave the chains hanging, you can use a few of those special links that screw into a solid link -- ie, they can be opened by unscrewing a side.

EDIT: My description sucks -- here's what I meant by the chain links:
            http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...show&ref=C1775

--Jeff

Thank You for your response. I am REALLY glad I did put the why in here. I know I can be a bit confusing at times and I have tried do overcome that but it just seems it never takes. Grin...

As far as the floor of celing it really does not matter if it touches either one, so the floating partition idea would work fine. I could just attach a CHEAP track of some sorts (???) and when done just take them off and put them away.

The chains would also work but I think it would be able to be moved to easily with the fans and so on, but I can tell you that I would LOVE TO HAVE a two story garage. That would 100% rock.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
              Maybe investigate making a french cleat. A french cleat is a set of beveled pieces of lumber cut usually from the same piece. In other words, attach one piece of beveled lumber to the studs with beveled side up so the other piece will lock into it, then attach the other piece to the hardboard. Might make a bit of a gap though. Ive used this method to hang large pictures or other heavy items from walls.

Good luck

Thanks for the idea but honestly French cleat just SOUNDS expensive. Grin... Would you happen to have any images or URL's of where I could see somthing like this in action.

Dan

-EDIT- OK, I re-read it when I found out how I replied to all of these and now I understand what you are talking about. It is what I hung a cabinet with. I took a 2x4 ripped it down the center and then ripped the two at a 45 angle. This IS a good idea. I could screw/glue a cleat on the back of each panel, do the same to the wall area ABOVE the garage door, and go from there...
              Last edited by 210Dan; 08-08-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                This sounds to me like a temporary backdrop that will need to be removed to return the garage space to its normal function, ie, housing the family car.

I'd bet the hardboard will have a background painted on it. Or maybe its for a video green screen. This is why the sheets need to hang with zero space between them. Can't have light peeking through it would ruin the effect.

Problem with 1/8" HB is that it will not be perfectly flat, so even if the 3 boards hung side by side they most likely won't line up too well. This could be handled by adding a lightweight frame to the back of the sheets, say from 1x2 or even some 3/4" x 2" wide strips of plywood (the more plys the better). Add some screw eyes at the top and corresponding hooks above. On the back of the each sheet where it meets an adjacent sheet add some hooks and eyes or some other method to hold them together. If need be match drill the edges of the frames and use short 3/8" dowels to ensure the line up.

You could also hing the two ajoining edges to make a large tri-fold panel using some piano hinges. Get some 48" length hinges and cut into four 12" pieces and space them along the edge. You'll still need the frame of ply or 1x material I think.

Smile, you on candid camera.

BOB D. WOW, you are a psychic <-sp. THANK YOU for this reply. It really hit all the points.

The hardboard is going to be painted green for a green screen for My Daughter. She LOVES "Yo Gabba Gabba" and is actually LEARNING from the TV shows and I want to keep Her interest up in learning. The HB is really flimisy and after trying to mount it to a single 2x4 and hanging it from a tree to see how it work work, you are again correct in saying that it needs some kind of frame.

As it is now I am gonna try to just use 2 of them and make a T frame (for testing) and go from there. I will HOPEFULLY be able to post the finished product soon.

Dan

Comment

OK, now that I have tried to respond to the replies, I have noticed that it did not actually "post" in the original ones. I am not sure if this is correct or if (like always) I am missing something.

Thanks Again,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 210Dan View Post
                    Thanks for the idea but honestly French cleat just SOUNDS expensive. Grin... Would you happen to have any images or URL's of where I could see somthing like this in action.

Dan
                    Looks good when I googled the images of a "French Cleat"

Comment

I think it might be a lot cheaper, quicker and easier to use fabric the right color or even a tarp which could be painted. All you need to secure it is a strong anchor at either end. Why bother with a solid material?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I think it might be a lot cheaper, quicker and easier to use fabric the right color or even a tarp which could be painted. All you need to secure it is a strong anchor at either end. Why bother with a solid material?

You are correct, it is easier to get the material in several different shads of green and hang it from the ceiling or wall but it has a tendency of moving and even the "dullest" of material I have found has a bit of a shine to it with the lights I am using. I have not gotten a soft box (or made one yet) but the material thing is far easier if I were not using a fan so much in the garage. I am in Texas, and let me tell you, IT IS HOT in a normal, non ac'ed garage.

Dan
                        Last edited by 210Dan; 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 210Dan View Post
                          OK, now that I have tried to respond to the replies, I have noticed that it did not actually "post" in the original ones. I am not sure if this is correct or if (like always) I am missing something.

Thanks Again,

Dan
                          Lets just say different and a very good way to get your post count upthanks for letting us know what you are trying to do.

Comment

a person could glue a couple of wood strips on the back of the hard board, and make either a place for dowel pins or a tongue and grove type thing, biskets with out the glue, or only on one side, that would allow the edges to but up and still be aligned,
                            with a screen door type hook (wood door), you could connect them top and bottom to each other to keep the panels together, and to stiffen the entire units complete it into a light frame,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You wanna do green screen, you gotta watch Marks Apsolon on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbTISLBgDfk

check out tubetape.com for green and blue screen stuff.

More Mark Apsolon YouTube videos

You guys looking to enter the next RIDGID video challenge ought to take a gander too.

If you want to learn video editing tricks, check out this site with hours of free tutorials.
                              It's aimed at Adobe After Effects, but you will pick up tricks you can use in many video editors.

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                                a person could glue a couple of wood strips on the back of the hard board, and make either a place for dowel pins or a tongue and grove type thing, biskets with out the glue, or only on one side, that would allow the edges to but up and still be aligned,
                                with a screen door type hook (wood door), you could connect them top and bottom to each other to keep the panels together, and to stiffen the entire units complete it into a light frame,
                                We are on the same frequency here BHD.
                                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                                X