Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

    Hello all, My name is Dan. I am like most of you and love nothing better than making sawdust, or a mess depending on if the wife is around or not.

    Anyway, I have been reading a few days to see if I could find anyone with a similar problem I am having to see what they did about it. So far no dice, so I figured I would ask everyone out there for their advice / opinion.

    Now I am somewhat new to this so I will try to make as much sense as possible without writing 5 paragraphs.

    So what I am trying to do is to HANG 3 sheets or 1/8 hardboard from the ceiling in my garage(Side by side). The why is not important right now because I am not sure if it is even something I am going to be able to accomplish so first thing is first.

    I would like to hang all three of them side by side with as little or NO seam between them. It does not matter if they are all touching the celing or touching the floor, I would just like to figure out as INEXPENSIVE way of doing this. (And here is the kicker) I would like to be able to remove them without having to break out an entire toolbox.

    If you have ANY questions, or answers PLEASE let me know. I am sure that people here are far more knowledgeable the something like Yahoo Answers.


    Thank You,


    Dan


    BTW - Price IS an issue.

  • #2
    Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

    Welcome to the forum.
    I am thinking self adhesive Velcro tape strips.
    Three strips per sheet at a minimum so between 72 and 96 feet (4 strips)
    The only issue I see would be that half of the strip will remain on the ceiling when you remove the board, not sure if that is an issue??

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

      For some reason I'm thinking of Velcro, use large enough Velcro and adhere (don't rely on the sticky back of Velcro, use construction adhesive to attach the Velcro) to backside of board and the other half to your ceiling. This should allow you to remove the sheathing easily when you need to. Long strips along the edge and smaller ones in the center to stop the sag. This should give you a nice enough butt seam when you meet the boards together. Cost of this, I have no clue.

      Double sided tape maybe, but after time, I would be worried that the tape would give up and the sheathing would fall down.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

      http://www.contractorspub.com

      A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

        Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        Welcome to the forum.
        I am thinking self adhesive Velcro tape strips.
        Three strips per sheet at a minimum so between 72 and 96 feet (4 strips)
        The only issue I see would be that half of the strip will remain on the ceiling when you remove the board, not sure if that is an issue??
        Damn, you beat me to this one..... LOL....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

        http://www.contractorspub.com

        A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

          Originally posted by 210Dan View Post
          .

          So what I am trying to do is to HANG 3 sheets or 1/8 hardboard from the ceiling in my garage(Side by side). The why is not important right now because I am not sure if it is even something I am going to be able to accomplish so first thing is first.

          I would like to hang all three of them side by side with as little or NO seam between them. It does not matter if they are all touching the celing or touching the floor, I would just like to figure out as INEXPENSIVE way of doing this. (And here is the kicker) I would like to be able to remove them without having to break out an entire toolbox.

          If you have ANY questions, or answers PLEASE let me know. I am sure that people here are far more knowledgeable the something like Yahoo Answers.


          Thank You,


          Dan


          BTW - Price IS an issue.
          I could be wrong, but the way I read this, the OP wants to hang vertically (side by side) from the ceiling to the floor. Make the seams of the hardboard land on the garage wall studs. They should be 16'' on center. Use 1 1/4'' Drywall screws and you'll only have to use one tool to take them down. Make sure the first panel is plumb and the other two should butt up nicely.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

            Maybe he actually wants them to hang ....a partion in the garage.Some well placed hooks for that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

              Originally posted by IamVince View Post
              Maybe he actually wants them to hang ....a partion in the garage.Some well placed hooks for that.
              Lol, maybe he should come back to this thread and clear this up.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                Photographer....Backdrop?

                Track below
                swing clip/hinge/block/bent nail/Bubble Gum ABOVE.

                Set it in the track and drop/apply retainer.

                No tools.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                  Originally posted by IamVince View Post
                  Maybe he actually wants them to hang ....a partion in the garage.Some well placed hooks for that.
                  Yep, that's my take; I was really confused by the wording at first (I think the *why* may've helped considerably here)...

                  But... to hang from the ceiling, but not necessary touch the ceiling or the floor suggests a floating partition wall to me.

                  I second the hooks. A couple links of chain can be used to position the height from the ceiling (dunno 'bout you, but the ceiling in my garage is two stories tall, so I'd need considerable lowering of the hooks somehow).

                  If you only need to take the panels down every now and then, temporarily, and it's okay to temporarily leave the chains hanging, you can use a few of those special links that screw into a solid link -- ie, they can be opened by unscrewing a side.

                  EDIT: My description sucks -- here's what I meant by the chain links:
                  http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...show&ref=C1775

                  --Jeff
                  Last edited by carbonBased; 08-07-2009, 09:19 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                    Maybe investigate making a french cleat. A french cleat is a set of beveled pieces of lumber cut usually from the same piece. In other words, attach one piece of beveled lumber to the studs with beveled side up so the other piece will lock into it, then attach the other piece to the hardboard. Might make a bit of a gap though. Ive used this method to hang large pictures or other heavy items from walls.

                    Good luck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                      Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                      Maybe investigate making a french cleat. A french cleat is a set of beveled pieces of lumber cut usually from the same piece. In other words, attach one piece of beveled lumber to the studs with beveled side up so the other piece will lock into it, then attach the other piece to the hardboard. Might make a bit of a gap though. Ive used this method to hang large pictures or other heavy items from walls.

                      Good luck
                      Holy Smokes
                      The easiest one of all.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                        This sounds to me like a temporary backdrop that will need to be removed to return the garage space to its normal function, ie, housing the family car.

                        I'd bet the hardboard will have a background painted on it. Or maybe its for a video green screen. This is why the sheets need to hang with zero space between them. Can't have light peeking through it would ruin the effect.

                        Problem with 1/8" HB is that it will not be perfectly flat, so even if the 3 boards hung side by side they most likely won't line up too well. This could be handled by adding a lightweight frame to the back of the sheets, say from 1x2 or even some 3/4" x 2" wide strips of plywood (the more plys the better). Add some screw eyes at the top and corresponding hooks above. On the back of the each sheet where it meets an adjacent sheet add some hooks and eyes or some other method to hold them together. If need be match drill the edges of the frames and use short 3/8" dowels to ensure the line up.

                        You could also hing the two ajoining edges to make a large tri-fold panel using some piano hinges. Get some 48" length hinges and cut into four 12" pieces and space them along the edge. You'll still need the frame of ply or 1x material I think.

                        Smile, you on candid camera.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Holy Smokes
                          The easiest one of all.
                          Are you serious or just kidding because now that I read this I realize how complicated I made a really easy task sound.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                            Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                            Welcome to the forum.
                            I am thinking self adhesive Velcro tape strips.
                            Three strips per sheet at a minimum so between 72 and 96 feet (4 strips)
                            The only issue I see would be that half of the strip will remain on the ceiling when you remove the board, not sure if that is an issue??

                            THANK YOU for the Welcome. I can tell you RIGHT OFF THE BAT when I logged on here and saw all the responses I REALLY was shocked. I was thinking it would be one of those things that took some time and all but this was a GREAT surprise.

                            I DO like your idea of the velcro and if I go this way it would be from floor to ceiling so it might hold a bit better that way. I am gonna read the rest of them and go from there but THANK YOU again for the Welcome and the response.


                            Dan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How To ? Hang 4x8 sheet hardboard

                              Originally posted by garager View Post
                              For some reason I'm thinking of Velcro, use large enough Velcro and adhere (don't rely on the sticky back of Velcro, use construction adhesive to attach the Velcro) to backside of board and the other half to your ceiling. This should allow you to remove the sheathing easily when you need to. Long strips along the edge and smaller ones in the center to stop the sag. This should give you a nice enough butt seam when you meet the boards together. Cost of this, I have no clue.

                              Double sided tape maybe, but after time, I would be worried that the tape would give up and the sheathing would fall down.
                              Thank You for the response, and if all else this might be what I am gonna go for but I was trying to make it kinda portable and all and honestly I am somewhat lazy so I am not sure how hard this would be to do.


                              Dan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X