X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw blades

I'm kinda new to woodworking and to this forum. I have a question about saw blades. I just bought a Ridgid TS 3650. It would seem that the consensus of opinion is that the original saw blade on any saw isn't the greatest. Ridgid's blade seems to cut pretty well for me. My question is it worth the price to get a forrest blade for my new saw or one of the freud blades? I've often heard that you get what you pay for, but is the forrest blade twice as good as the freud blade? Any opinons would be appreciated.

Keith

I have a thin kerf Freud and a thin kerf Forrest Woodworker II. Both are combination blades. I use the Freud for general stuff and saw the Forrest for really important projects. I also have a CMT rip blade and another Freud blade designed for melamine and other manmade materials. All are thin kerf.
    If I had to chose just one blade, it would definitely be the Forrest. I get a little cleaner cut with less, if any, tear out. However, the Freud is certainly adequate and would most likely be a pretty big improvement over the standard Ridgid. At least it was on my TS2424. For what you pay for the WWII, you could add a speciality blade for rips, crosscuts, or manmade materials if you find the Freud combo isn't adequate. It really boils down to what you plan to cut and what you expect. The Freud is a good blade, the Forrest is the best blade.

Comment

I find it very, very difficult to believe that any blade could produce an edge that is twice as good as I get from my Freud blades.

[ 01-30-2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,

In that respect you're right. I hve the combination blade from them. I am still considering picking up a Forrest though not b/c the cut will be twice as good, but more b/c the edge will last much longer, can get a couple more sharpenings, and it will maybe be 10 % better. My favorite thing about blades is having NOT to change them often

Jake

Comment

I mostly use three blades. (I have others, but they are for used wood etc that might contain stuff other than wood!)

For rip cuts over 1' I use a 24 tooth SystiMatic fast rip. Under 1" I use the SystiMatic 40T Glue Joint rip. These leave nice smooth cuts,that with a properly set up saw, leaves you with joint quality edges.

My Cross Cut blade is a SystiMatic 80T "Double Miter" blade.

I do not like Combo or thin kerf blades. Prefer to use the dedicated blade instead.

http://www.justsawblades.com/systimatic/index.htm
          Support Our Troops!
          www.mnpatriotguard.org
          www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Badger Dave - I'd have to estimate that my Forrest doesn't cut twice as cleanly as my Freud, so technically your statement may be true. However, it's hard to quantify, and alot has to do with the intended results...which is a clean cut. It definitely does a better job in my case. It might be more accurate to suggest that it does a noticeably better job for about $45 more.

Comment

All I'm trying to say is that sometimes people perceive that they want or need something that they really don't. For the majority of projects that I and alot of other folks do, some blades are just plain more than what is needed. As skill levels and expectations increase than the purchase of an expensive blade(s) can be justified. Kdish said in his post that he is a newbie, should we also recommend that he buy the most expensive wood he can find to practice his skills on?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I couldnt be happier with my CMT General blade. the only problem i have with this particular blade is the fact that it burns some when miter cutting harder woods. that being said i also own a miter saw

as far as the forrest goes....i considered it ad nausium prior to buying the CMT. the research i did indicated that the biggest problem with the forrest was the frequency of sharpening needed to keep it performing at 100%. i have been told that it rips so clean you dont need a jointer...but then i guess i would have wasted the money on my jp6010. i did buy a CMT rip blade for use when i am ripping lots of boards, specifically hardwood...otherwise the general remains mounted.
                \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I just used a new Freud "Diablo" 24T, thin kerf blade this weekend. I riped over 165' of teak and every cut was smooth, clean, and burn free.
                  After the weekend of cutting, the blade is still just as sharp as "new".
                  The blade was about $25 and I will definately use a nother one when the time comes.

I only do hobby work and DIY home improvement, but feel this blade is better than anything in its price range.

Comment

Working...
                  X