Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Table Saw Bevel Stop Problem

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
    If I understand your description of the problem, it indeed sounds like your blade angle worm gear is slipping on the teeth of your front trunnion bracket (part no. 54 in the parts list for figure B of the R4511 Repair Sheet). Just looking at your posted pictures, it doesn't look much different than mine (see my attached photos), but it may be too small a misalignment to really see.

One question I have - does it feel like it's slipping throughout the range of the bracket, or does it just slip towards the 0 degree angle?

Without seeing your saw, I'm just trying to make an educated guess on what may be wrong, but here it goes....

1. I'd make sure my trunnion was correctly seated within the grooves of the front mounting bracket (part 75) (the greased ridge that it rides on). If it's slipping out because the support brackets are too far apart, it would throw off the worm screw alignment.

2. The front trunnion bracket (part no. 54), which contains the teeth for the worm screw, is screwed onto the trunnion. It's possible your bracket is warped or not installed squarely onto the trunnion. You could try taking this apart and inspect it. It might be possible to put shims between the top of the bracket and the trunnion to cause the bracket to ride lower and thus make better contact with the worm screw (although I'd consider this type of modification a last resort).

3. The tilt shaft (part 72) that the worm screw is mounted onto may be slightly bent, causing it to move away from the teeth during part of the rotation as you're cranking it.

I agree with you in that it's a major disappointment to have an expensive piece of machinery you've just purchased not perform up to specs. If I couldn't easily fix it myself, I'd pursue Home Depot / Ridgid until the situation is resolved to my satisfaction. Good luck.
    thank you so so so very much. just read your reply, will follow up with you later, off to another call. again, thanks thanks thanks. talk to you soon..

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
      If I understand your description of the problem, it indeed sounds like your blade angle worm gear is slipping on the teeth of your front trunnion bracket (part no. 54 in the parts list for figure B of the R4511 Repair Sheet). Just looking at your posted pictures, it doesn't look much different than mine (see my attached photos), but it may be too small a misalignment to really see.

One question I have - does it feel like it's slipping throughout the range of the bracket, or does it just slip towards the 0 degree angle?

Without seeing your saw, I'm just trying to make an educated guess on what may be wrong, but here it goes....

1. I'd make sure my trunnion was correctly seated within the grooves of the front mounting bracket (part 75) (the greased ridge that it rides on). If it's slipping out because the support brackets are too far apart, it would throw off the worm screw alignment.

2. The front trunnion bracket (part no. 54), which contains the teeth for the worm screw, is screwed onto the trunnion. It's possible your bracket is warped or not installed squarely onto the trunnion. You could try taking this apart and inspect it. It might be possible to put shims between the top of the bracket and the trunnion to cause the bracket to ride lower and thus make better contact with the worm screw (although I'd consider this type of modification a last resort).

3. The tilt shaft (part 72) that the worm screw is mounted onto may be slightly bent, causing it to move away from the teeth during part of the rotation as you're cranking it.

I agree with you in that it's a major disappointment to have an expensive piece of machinery you've just purchased not perform up to specs. If I couldn't easily fix it myself, I'd pursue Home Depot / Ridgid until the situation is resolved to my satisfaction. Good luck.
      Originally posted by woodruf View Post
      thank you so so so very much. just read your reply, will follow up with you later, off to another call. again, thanks thanks thanks. talk to you soon..

ok, back on this job.
      Thanks DaveWoodWork
      "One question I have - does it feel like it's slipping throughout the range of the bracket, or does it just slip towards the 0 degree angle?"

my answer is it just slip towards the 0 degree angle.

also, on #1. suggestion. might be it in part. the support brackets are too far apart, the front one for sure (gap not present on the rear one). thanks.

i don't know if should muck with the trunnion assembly. I would think it's something that should be "fixed / set" out of the box. if there was an adjustment to make, would it skew something else out of whack?? I don't know. The top has to come off obviously. what do you think?

#3 of your suggestion. tilt shaft (part 72) appears to be straight.

this is the kind feedback I was hoping for all along. I'd kindly buy drinks all around (the nice folks) for more help like this. thanks for the help.

Comment

It's tough to armchair a fix without seeing the saw and playing with it. I'd definitely take off the table top to see exactly what's going wrong. I'd also become familiar with the parts breakdown in the Repair Sheet so you know how the parts go together.

Since the worm screw is mounted on the front trunnion support bracket and the teeth that the screw engages are mounted on the trunnion (or more specifically on the front trunnion bracket), it is important that trunnion and its support maintain the correct relationship with each other. You can check this out with the top off. Having the top off will also let you easily adjust the trunnion support brackets if things need lining up.

It's also possible that the front trunnion bracket is not lining up precisely with the trunnion perhaps due to a small burr or machining defect.

Once you've figured out what's wrong, it should be easy to either fix it yourself or get Ridgid to replace any defective parts. On the bright side, you'll get to know the inner workings of your saw quite well. Good luck.

Dave

Comment

Hi! I'm new to this site and mainly went to this site from a reference to this same problem. I'm having exactly the same issue with my new 4511. So, having read through this thread I am going to take the top back off the saw, oof, and take a look at the internals more closely.

In addition to this my elevation adjustment has a lot of slop (at least a quarter turn) before it starts to move the blade up or down when I reverse direction. Any help on that one?

Thank you!

Comment

I just spent two hours in my garage looking at this problem with the worm gear disengaging from the teeth for bevel adjustment. I took the granite top off the saw and inspected the brackets, etc. I found the rear bracket was not engaging the trunnion fully so I loosened the rear bolt and moved the bracket in to more fully engage the trunnion. That seems to have helped. Maybe at 90 degrees it was allowing the trunnion to move up and disengage from the worm gear. Not sure. Take a look at the trunnion and how well it fits in the bracket grooves at 90 and 45 degrees. Fix any gaps you see and maybe that will help. Your problem sounds like it was worse than mine though.

Oops, I see you looked at this, sorry if have been redundant. Did you adjust the brackets? Not sure based on your comments about not mucking with it. Seems to have solved my problem.

Good luck. I know I hate it when you can't get things made well that work as they should when you get them.
            Last edited by Diamondback; 10-22-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I am having the same problem. (Coming back from 45 the motor just drops) I talked to Ridgid support and was told that both worms should look the same as they are the same parts #. Looking in the cabinet I discovered that the worm that controls the bevel is missing a "flute" which contains the spring pin. My question is, can anyone without this problem confirm if both worms look that same, or does it look like the pictures already provided?

Comment

Can anyone outline how to set the 90 degree stop screw? The manual is useless and nothing it says makes sense. When I tighten the 90 degree set screw after making the blade square, I am still able to push the blade past the 90 degree mark like 5 degrees. Basically, the stop screw isn't doing what its supposed to.

Comment

Mine is also slipping as I go past the 90 degree mark. There will be a loud thud and the angle is less than 90 degrees after it slips. If I try to go to the 45 degree stop, it lets me keep going. To the point that my red angle indicator is warped and bent now :[ What do I do guys? http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...1231091746.jpg Here is a picture of my worm gears. You can also see how my red angle indicator is now bent.

Comment

Originally posted by bgilb View Post
                    Can anyone outline how to set the 90 degree stop screw? The manual is useless and nothing it says makes sense. When I tighten the 90 degree set screw after making the blade square, I am still able to push the blade past the 90 degree mark like 5 degrees. Basically, the stop screw isn't doing what its supposed to.
                    I don't have a 4511, but I believe you should bring the setscrew in contact with the trunnion after you have set the blade to 90°, so it just touches it. If you are trying to tighten it down it will just push the trunnion and blade in front of it until the backlash in the gearing is taken up, which could be 5° of maybe a little more.

Remember it's a STOP, not a lockscrew. When adjusting the blade angle to 90 you come up against the STOP. If the blade goes past 90 then you need to back off slightly say to 89° and turn the setscrew so it again just touches the trunnion. Then you check it again by backing off to 80° or so, this is so you know you are fully disengaged from the stop, and then advance toward 90° again and measure the angle when it stops.

Please note that depending on the amount of force used when driving the blade toward 90° will affect you reading. Too much force will push you past the stopscrew by a few tenths of a degree or more maybe.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The stop screw won't go any tighter than it already is.

Comment

Mine is also slipping as I go past the 90 degree mark. There will be a loud thud and the angle is less than 90 degrees after it slips. If I try to go to the 45 degree stop, it lets me keep going. To the point that my red angle indicator is warped and bent now :[ What do I do guys? http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...1231091746.jpg Here is a picture of my worm gears. You can also see how my red angle indicator is now bent.
                        check your date code. several with date codes around CD836 have this problem. return it for one with a higher date code like CD913.

your worm gear which engages into the bevel trunion part is not centered. we need more photos posted from others.
                        I personally have seen no 4511's which worm gear is centered on the bevel trunion part. I'm sure there is a combination of things which are not right. which adds up to a headache. Chinese production of course. I am sure an american is responsible for accepting and selling products with such low production standards.
                        Last edited by woodruf; 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Its not supposed to be centered, look at this picture: https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=631464 My date code is past 913.

Comment

Its not supposed to be centered, look at this picture: https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=631464 My date code is past 913.
                            why would it be purposely be designed to mesh off center???

you really should try for another.

best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X