Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Table Saw Bevel Stop Problem

Bevel Stop Problem - Slippage at 90 degree stop on R4511 Table Saw

I have followed the bevel adjustment instructions on page 42 of the Operators Manual.

The hand wheel does not stop when turning counter clockwise to the 90 degree bevel. The worm gear and trunion slips through the teeth.

This happens while turning the hand wheel with a very light touch. The hand wheel does not stop, but rather slips through the teeth of the worm gear and trunion. No Stop.

I have noticed the worm gear and trunion teeth do not line up. I have uploaded pictures to show this.

My question is, might this misalignment of the worm gear and trunion teeth be causing this problem with the worm gear and trunion teeth once contacting the stop? Again, this happens while turning the hand wheel with a very light touch, and once the stop is contacted.

Please upload pictures of your worm gear and trunion, so I can see if this is only a problem with this saw.

Also, does anyone else have this problem when lightly contacting the 90 degree stop?

note - the 45 degree stop does stop once contacted.
    Attached Files

Re: R4511 Table Saw Bevel Stop Problem

any ideas? is this fixable? thanks.

Comment

the bevel stops have nothing to do with the trunnion and warm gears... they are simply 2 set screws that go up and down and when you turn bevel the blade, the trunnion contacts those screws, and cannot move further...

sounds like your 90 degree set screw is not reaching the trunnion (set too high) try lowering it until it creates contact.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpLev View Post
        the bevel stops have nothing to do with the trunnion and warm gears... they are simply 2 set screws that go up and down and when you turn bevel the blade, the trunnion contacts those screws, and cannot move further...

sounds like your 90 degree set screw is not reaching the trunnion (set too high) try lowering it until it creates contact.
        Thanks for the reply. Please, I truly appreciate your reply, and wish not to come off as a wisenheimer . But, I have checked, and the set screw (left of blade) "is" making contact with the trunnion. FYI, the worm gear engages into the trunnion teeth, (view photos) and the set screw (left of bade), contacts the trunnion.

"The bevel stops have nothing to do with the trunnion and warm gears... " wuh?

Remember this song, "the hand wheel is connected to the, worm gear, the worm gear is engaged into the, trunnion teeth, the set screw makes contact with the, trunnion, etc."

The blade is set at 90 with a reliable and accurate digital angle gauge (gauge zeroed on table top first), prior to lowering the set screw. I lower the set screw (left of blade), till it makes contact with the trunnion, the blade moves. Contact verified.

Now backing off with the hand wheel (blade tilts left), and then going back to 90 (blade tilts right), with the very slightest touch, once the stop is just contacted, the trunnion teeth and worm gear slips out of each other. The hand wheel does not stop. I am not forcing nor have forced the hand wheel to turn. The gears are slipping with the slightest touch once the stop is just very very lightly contacted. Seems I'm repeating myself.

So, back to my question top of page. Anyone else with this problem. Any other ideas? Thanks. Please upload you photos of your worm gear and trunnion as I did please.

Comment

Have you looked at your repair parts book to check and make sure all the nuts and set screws associated with the bevel wheel set are tight? Perhaps something is loose just when it gets to that point.

My gear to trunnion contact is offset like yours, only my worm is closer to the back of the saw. The shaft collar thru the trunnion is probably offset to allow them (factory) to take out machine set up tolerances.

BTW, your way of responding to people's assistance does not promote a friendly helpfull atmosphere. You also might try losing some of the emoticons. Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
            Have you looked at your repair parts book to check and make sure all the nuts and set screws associated with the bevel wheel set are tight? Perhaps something is loose just when it gets to that point.

My gear to trunnion contact is offset like yours, only my worm is closer to the back of the saw. The shaft collar thru the trunnion is probably offset to allow them (factory) to take out machine set up tolerances.

BTW, your way of responding to people's assistance does not promote a friendly helpfull atmosphere. You also might try losing some of the emoticons. Just my $.02.
            Thanks for that. Obviously, I've been bashed enough by others, prior to me responding to others, that this may be a side effect, or your slightly as sensitive as I was. The emoticons exist for a reason, my $.02. Just trying to make light of these purchases. Silly me.

Again, Thanks for the reply. Please, I truly appreciate your reply, and wish not to come off as a wisenheimer . How to say it more clearly and again, I don't know. Please understand my frustration and the issues with this 2nd R4511 "I" have purchased. I wish no harm, I suppose the truth hurts most.

Have I mentioned, I have spent more time on my back looking up at things with this R4511, than I have with my old VW bug. Oh yeh, have'nt cut one pice of wood with this saw yet, 2 weeks, because of the issues.

As I have said in a prior post, why would others be upset with the truths i post in regards to the issues with the R4511 saw"s" "I" have purchased. Might they be the company reps wishing to silence me by way of insults and humility. If so, not working. Very suspect.

I'm truly trying to make these R4511s "$work$" for me. Down to one now, needed 2. Getting that to good to be true feeling.

Peace and Love
            Last edited by woodruf; 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM. Reason: more emoticons

Comment

I am responding with a possible solution just because someone else that reads this thread might have the same problem now or in the future.

First off, laying on your back looking at the assembly does not fix it. You have not indicated at all if you have tried taking a wrench or allen keys to anything. You are too busy thinking everyone on this forum is a rep or Ridgid employee, and this is some big conspiracy. It is not! Trust me, I had quite a few things on my saw that needed tweaking. This is normal on a $600.00 saw. You want perfect? Go by a $5000.00 saw from Europe, or even the new Delta or a Powermatic 66.

Now, getting to the matter at hand, if you can crank the handle CW to the 45 position with no problem, and then back again to the 90, but then the worm seems to come away from the trunnion gear, try making sure that item #67 is tight and holding item #73 in the same position all the time. Also check that item #50 is correct. You let me know when you have figured out what these parts are and what they do. (there's one back at you)

Comment

I am responding with a possible solution just because someone else that reads this thread might have the same problem now or in the future.

First off, laying on your back looking at the assembly does not fix it. You have not indicated at all if you have tried taking a wrench or allen keys to anything. You are too busy thinking everyone on this forum is a rep or Ridgid employee, and this is some big conspiracy. It is not! Trust me, I had quite a few things on my saw that needed tweaking. This is normal on a $600.00 saw. You want perfect? Go by a $5000.00 saw from Europe, or even the new Delta or a Powermatic 66.

Now, getting to the matter at hand, if you can crank the handle CW to the 45 position with no problem, and then back again to the 90, but then the worm seems to come away from the trunnion gear, try making sure that item #67 is tight and holding item #73 in the same position all the time. Also check that item #50 is correct. You let me know when you have figured out what these parts are and what they do. (there's one back at you)
                great that works, but how do i do that and cut wood at the same time?

what is with you friend? Can't you refrain from attacks?

also, what do you mean, "(there's one back at you)"

now i'm laying on my back looking up your skirt.. tag, your it. silly game.

"You let me know when you have figured out what these parts are and what they do"

um o.k. it's a saw,,, and I think it's supposed to cut wood safely and be functional when assemble per the instructions. this is why I payed 1200.00+plus tax = 600.00 x 2 + tax.

If they were cars, they would by law, be deemed lemons. you want me to make lemonade out of lemons, when what I purchased was supposed to be lemonade.

honestly, would you buy the two R4511s I've mentioned, knowing what you know of them? Would you pick them up please?

wow, those part numbers really roll off your tongue, coincidentally, and let me fiddle with things the support staff says not to, maybe I'll void the warranty, that'll fix it.
                Last edited by woodruf; 08-14-2009, 08:46 PM. Reason: it's defective

Comment

Have fun staring at your new saw in between writing posts asking for help and advise on how to fix it.

Oh, btw, I had to use loctite on my miter gauge set screws. No biggie.

Comment

Have fun staring at your new saw in between writing posts asking for help and advise on how to fix it.

Oh, btw, I had to use loctite on my miter gauge set screws. No biggie.
                    obviously, you have yet to figure out, i would respond appropriately, if you could only refrain from jabbing and personal attacks.

your words are useless, trickled with such nonsense and demeaning innuendoes. useless. push, push back, don't push, no need to push back. simple.

try it, you might like it.

Comment

A couple of times you've indicated that you have had problems with two of these saws. Do you mean you have seen the same problems on both?

No, it is not normal for the worm to slip when you reach the stop. Are you seeing this on both of your saws? I do not have a picture of my trunnion to post, and am guessing no one else has one they think will shed any light on the problem you are having. Looking at your pictures, I might see the misalignment you're describing, but I can't be sure of it. I'm sure there is a reason you can't just compare the two saws you have -- or do they both have this same problem?

If the worm is slipping, it suggests either a manufacturing defect, shipping damage, or something is loose or misaligned. If it's a defect, get it replaced under warranty. If it's damaged, get it replaced or repaired under warranty. If something is loose, figure out what it is and tighten it. If it's misaligned, loosen it, the realign it, then tighten it. The part numbers suggested by 3rdtime would be a reasonable place to start. Refer to the parts diagram and see if any of these parts are loose or can be realigned.

I don't see anything in 3rdtime's postings that suggest you try aligning these things while cutting wood. Frankly, that's absurd, and to suggest it is to mock what appears to be a sincere attempt to help you. Tighten it if it's loose, adjust it if it's misaligned. If it won't stay tight or hold alignment, get it replaced under warranty.

The level of discourse in this forum is far above what you'll find in any number of others. People come here and ask questions civilly and get civil and informed answers. Many have encountered problems with the R4511, ranging from minor to major. Most seem to be quite satisfied with this machine -- this does not make us shills.

When several people have suggested you dial back the bile a notch or two, maybe that's a suggestion worthy of consideration. When every thread you start degenerates into what you call "attacks", maybe it has something to do with "the man in the mirror"? Find ways to express your frustration without maligning those who offer to help. Give some feedback to indicate that you have at least considered the suggestions made. Or, don't be too surprised when people just stop responding.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc View Post
                        A couple of times you've indicated that you have had problems with two of these saws. Do you mean you have seen the same problems on both?

No, it is not normal for the worm to slip when you reach the stop. Are you seeing this on both of your saws? I do not have a picture of my trunnion to post, and am guessing no one else has one they think will shed any light on the problem you are having. Looking at your pictures, I might see the misalignment you're describing, but I can't be sure of it. I'm sure there is a reason you can't just compare the two saws you have -- or do they both have this same problem?

If the worm is slipping, it suggests either a manufacturing defect, shipping damage, or something is loose or misaligned. If it's a defect, get it replaced under warranty. If it's damaged, get it replaced or repaired under warranty. If something is loose, figure out what it is and tighten it. If it's misaligned, loosen it, the realign it, then tighten it. The part numbers suggested by 3rdtime would be a reasonable place to start. Refer to the parts diagram and see if any of these parts are loose or can be realigned.

I don't see anything in 3rdtime's postings that suggest you try aligning these things while cutting wood. Frankly, that's absurd, and to suggest it is to mock what appears to be a sincere attempt to help you. Tighten it if it's loose, adjust it if it's misaligned. If it won't stay tight or hold alignment, get it replaced under warranty.

The level of discourse in this forum is far above what you'll find in any number of others. People come here and ask questions civilly and get civil and informed answers. Many have encountered problems with the R4511, ranging from minor to major. Most seem to be quite satisfied with this machine -- this does not make us shills.

When several people have suggested you dial back the bile a notch or two, maybe that's a suggestion worthy of consideration. When every thread you start degenerates into what you call "attacks", maybe it has something to do with "the man in the mirror"? Find ways to express your frustration without maligning those who offer to help. Give some feedback to indicate that you have at least considered the suggestions made. Or, don't be too surprised when people just stop responding.
                        i just can't get past the negitive enuendos in each others replies.

i've posted no attacks, only responses to attacks / negitive innuendoes.
                        examine carefully the sequence of exchanges (what comes first).

you too sir /madam, are following the sheep. thus, warrants my/this response.

i suppose you can debate the facts. and as long as it is written, people will believe? ridiculous..

kind of like saying "how do you do, ***hole".
                        you think i should respond, fine, thank you??

uh, how do you say "polite", "etiquette", "refrain - stop oneself from doing something"??

I will defend myself to the end against the offenders.

anything offered, once peppered with negativity, is completely useless. simple, yes?

now lets all hold hands, and try really really hard to be completely nice.

good day
                        Last edited by woodruf; 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM. Reason: bile

Comment

Well, all I can say is enjoy "exploring" the rest of "planet earth" looking for the solutions to your saw problems. I think it is a safe bet that you won't get much support, if any at all, from anyone on this forum.

Hasta la vista.

Comment

Well, all I can say is enjoy "exploring" the rest of "planet earth" looking for the solutions to your saw problems. I think it is a safe bet that you won't get much support, if any at all, from anyone on this forum.

Hasta la vista.
                            well i guess your right, not from you. you just can't refrain from the negative jabs.

you sir / madame, obviously have nothing worthwhile to offer.

not a problem, thanks for letting us know.

good day.
                            Last edited by woodruf; 08-15-2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: it's fun

Comment

Originally posted by woodruf View Post
                              Bevel Stop Problem - Slippage at 90 degree stop on R4511 Table Saw
                              If I understand your description of the problem, it indeed sounds like your blade angle worm gear is slipping on the teeth of your front trunnion bracket (part no. 54 in the parts list for figure B of the R4511 Repair Sheet). Just looking at your posted pictures, it doesn't look much different than mine (see my attached photos), but it may be too small a misalignment to really see.

One question I have - does it feel like it's slipping throughout the range of the bracket, or does it just slip towards the 0 degree angle?

Without seeing your saw, I'm just trying to make an educated guess on what may be wrong, but here it goes....

1. I'd make sure my trunnion was correctly seated within the grooves of the front mounting bracket (part 75) (the greased ridge that it rides on). If it's slipping out because the support brackets are too far apart, it would throw off the worm screw alignment.

2. The front trunnion bracket (part no. 54), which contains the teeth for the worm screw, is screwed onto the trunnion. It's possible your bracket is warped or not installed squarely onto the trunnion. You could try taking this apart and inspect it. It might be possible to put shims between the top of the bracket and the trunnion to cause the bracket to ride lower and thus make better contact with the worm screw (although I'd consider this type of modification a last resort).

3. The tilt shaft (part 72) that the worm screw is mounted onto may be slightly bent, causing it to move away from the teeth during part of the rotation as you're cranking it.

I agree with you in that it's a major disappointment to have an expensive piece of machinery you've just purchased not perform up to specs. If I couldn't easily fix it myself, I'd pursue Home Depot / Ridgid until the situation is resolved to my satisfaction. Good luck.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X