table saw ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table saw ?

I have a 3650 and I'm having a problem with the wood pinching toward the end of my cut. Also the wood wants to pull away from the fence as I cutt. The fence is parallel to the blade, and the blade is set at 1/8" to 1/4" above the wood. Is this a normal accurrence? Do I need to ajust something? Any help welcome, thanks.

Re: table saw ?

It sounds a lot like you need to realign your splitter. It took me quite a bit of fine tuning to get mine right but once that's accomplished your troubles should go away.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

When it pinches turn off the saw and pull the wood out of the blade. If the saw kerf is closing then you have wood with internal stress and it would not be the best choice for a project as that wood will definitely warp. Is the blade guard off? I think it has the riving knife built into it, I don't have a 3650 so not sure on this point. If this is the stock blade I would try another blade

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been having trouble with the splitter. I'll check on that some more. Please excuse my ignorance wbrooks I don't know what "saw kerf is closing" is or what "riving knife" is, but it is a stock blade. I'm very green at woodworking thanks again.

Comment

When you cut a board you remove a line of wood. If the wood is stable that line will remain parallel. But if the wood is unstable it will spread or it will close together. When it closes it can pinch the saw blade and when it spreads it can push against the fence or create other issues.

Your saw does not have a riving knife.

Comment

Originally posted by roundman81 View Post
            ........ but it is a stock blade.
            Do yourself a big favor and buy a better quality blade(s). Ideally the best scenario would be to have a dedicated rip blade and a crosscut blade but that can get a little on the spendy side. If you don't want to be constantly changing blades and prefer one blade then a good quality combination or a general purpose blade would be the way to go. Plan on spending anywhere from $45 to $100 for a single blade.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

To start with, the stock blade is kinda OK but not really very good.

Some other things that may be causing wood to move away from the fence and towards the blade is how you apply pressure to keep the piece against the fence. If the edge of wood that travels against the fence is not perfectly straight that will only aggravate the problem, especially if it's bowed and the outr bow rides against the fence. That may happen if you press the wood against the fence too far in front of the blade.

For longer pieces and where parallel cut is critical I use a feather board to keep wood tight against the fence just before it hits the blade. That helps a lot. I'm also considering board buddies which will help with the pressure on wood against the fence as it exits the fence-blade space.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by roundman81 View Post
                Thanks guys, I have been having trouble with the splitter. I'll check on that some more. Please excuse my ignorance wbrooks I don't know what "saw kerf is closing" is or what "riving knife" is, but it is a stock blade. I'm very green at woodworking thanks again.
                Hi roundman! Welcome to the forums.

"Saw kerf" is the cut in the wood from the blade. Technically, it's the wood removed by the width of the saw bladee. There are think kerf blades that, since they're thinner, don't take as much wood out when they cut.

A "riving knife" is a little thing immediately behind the saw blade that helps to keep the wood from closing up (a very dangerous thing) behind the saw blade. The little black piece of the guard on the 3650 is designed to stop wood from closing (pinching) at the back of the saw blade. The little toothed pieces, called dogs I think, are grippers that help stop the wood from shooting back at you at a high rate of speed. Basically the saw guard is all about you not getting injured. A lot of woodworkers prefer a riving knife setup on their saws. I've never used one with a riving knife, so I don't know. I like using the guard and will always have the guard on whenever possible. I am very well attached to all my fingers and like them where they are!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

thanks VASandy, I've used saws with a riving knife I just didn't know what it was called. I've also heard kerf before, but I thought it was something to do with the blades tooth angle. I actually perfer the riving knife, maybe because I've use them more.

Comment

Working...
                  X