X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for toys.... errr... Tools

Hi, my name is John, new to this forum. Stumbled onto it researching table saws. I recently retired and decided to take up some woodworking. I've done a bunch of DIY type work but got interested in woodworking in the kinder, friendlier sense.
    I am looking for a table saw. I am also pretty space constrained with a small shop in the basement of an old house so I am looking at the mobile type contractor saws. I got a look at the Ridgid 2400 at home Depot and it looks like it would fill the bill nicely, and then some. I already have a Ryobi BTS21 which I have figured out is pretty underpowered but the kicker is that it doesn't hold blade height very well. I've already torn it apart and adjusted all the slop out of the system that I could without doing some serious redesign work and, frankly, I'd rather be making sawdust anyway.
    What I'm mainly interested in are available accessories, which are generally pretty thin for products aimed primarily at contractors. Specifically, Dado insert (which I can make if push comes to shove) and an easily removable left table extension.
    I would also like any feedback on the TS2400LS, the model the local HD carries. The fence looks pretty decent other than being rather short. Can't tell much about the mitre by looking. Actually, can't tell a lot about it anyway as they have it on about a 30" high platform with the stand up and I'm only 5'6" so about all I have really seen is the underside.
    I am looking forward to any input you can give me.
    Thanks in advance.
    John Schaben -- from the Middle of Kansas
    I haven't failed, I have simply discovered several hundred ways that don't work!

Re: Shopping for toys.... errr... Tools

Congrats on your retirement. Since space is tight, a portable saw like the 2410 might fit the bill, but other than portability, a good full size stationary hybrid saw (belt drive induction motor inside the enclosure) has several advantages, and they really don't have a much larger footprint. A saw like the R4511, Steel City 35920, Jet Proshop, Grizzly G0478 or G0661, or even the Hitachi C10FL have tables that are 27" deep (x ~ 40" wide with wings) and offer much more operating room in front of the blade. There's also a ton more mass (stability), more torque, less vibration, better long term reliability, , a much quieter motor, and are in general just more pleasant to use....food for thought. They do cost a bit more, but will have higher resale and should last a lifetime. all can be put on mobile base and rolled out of the way...some come with one.

Comment

I started with the TS2400LS. Good saw for the $$$ (actually I think ALL of Ridgids tablesaws are good saws for the $$$). I too have a small shop, and figured the portability/foldability of the 2400 would work well for me. The thing is, after having it for almost 2 years, I never once folded it after it was opened the first time. I actually rearranged my shop so I didnt HAVE to fold it. Then came the TS3660 clearance, so I sold my 2400 and got the 3660 (a much better saw thats "stationary" and took up more room than the 2400, but really didnt because I never folded my 2400 up). The mobile base is a good compromise between a folding saw and a better saw that I can at least slide out of the way. Im glad I made the decision, the TS3660 (and the TS4511 that it led to, long story) are better in many ways, enough to offset being able to fold it up and save some space.

Unfortunately most HDs now dont have physical displays of these saws (maybe the 2400 but probably not the others), so you cant easily tell if they will fit one way or another. Best bet is to try to get the dimensions of each and mock up a carboard box or something thats about the same size, and see how it fits in your shop.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I am not happy with the operating area in front of the blade on ANY of the contractor saws. And, I 100% agree with all your recommendations. Unfortunately, in addition to space, I have an accessability problem. As I pointed out, I have no garage, my shop is in the basement of an older house. To get there, I need to come in a side door, make a 90 degree turn to the right down a relatively narrow porch arrangement, make a 180 degree turn down a fairly steep stairwell. At the bottom of the stairwell. I need to make another 90 degree turn which is partially obstructed by a basement support column. Mass is a good thing once I get it there but not so good getting it out.
        If I didn't have this issue I would likely be looking at the granite top version Ridgid has out. Only about $100 more than the 2400.
        Chrisex - Had to smile about not folding the thing up. I have done the same thing with my Ryobi. I think it has only been folded up about 3 times since I have had it. First time bringing it in, Second time selling wifey on it and last week so I could flip it upside down to work on the height adjuster.
        Thanks again
        I haven't failed, I have simply discovered several hundred ways that don't work!

Comment

I have almost the exact same stairwell situation going into my basement shop. I have the R4511, and took it down in pieces. I slid the main cabinet with all the guts (minus the top) down on a large moving quilt standing in front of it slowly letting it come down one step at a time. I don't think about the eventual part of bringing it back out. Maybe I'll just sell it with the house when it comes to that. Been there, done it before.

Comment

While I dont have a challenging shop entrance (Bilco hatchway door), I found it very easy to take the top off the R4511 and carry it separately. The wings are already not attached to the saw when you get it, so they were carried separately as well.

For the main cabinet I just used a hand truck to get it down. It was surprisingly easy and I was able to do it all myself.

Comment

Hmmm, thanks for the encouragement guys. Think I will take a closer look at the 4511. I have thought about disassembly but I guess I was put off by having to reset everything but, come to think of it, I usually do anyway.

Comment

I bought my 3660 at HD earlier in the year before they were all gone. I went to the customer service counter and got a HD credit card. Took about 5 min. On your first purchase you get 10% off, and no interest for a year. This is a good way to save a little money.

I also bought a slightly used Ridgid 06101 jointer on ebay for $215. There are some good deals out there on ebay and craigslist, but you need to carefully inspect before you buy.
                "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Working...
                X