X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the granite

Hello all. Does anyone know what to use on the granite to clean it and buff it so to speak. I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual. All help is appreciated.

Re: Cleaning the granite

i did see something here, the tread title was not about cleaning and protecting.

search google with "clean and protect granite". granite is granite. hope this helps.

or search the forums with this "granite and protect"
    Last edited by woodruf; 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by cowchaser View Post
      Hello all. Does anyone know what to use on the granite to clean it and buff it so to speak. I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual. All help is appreciated.
      I used a de-greaser to get the oil/grease off that came with the table. Then I gave it a coat of Johnsons Paste wax. After using the saw I noticed what seemed to be minute scratches, they buffed right out! Every couple of months I clean/vac the table and apply more wax. The granite seems to hold up well.

Buck

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers. I didn't know if it should be bright and shiny or not. I tried some johnsons on the corner and it does remove the friction, but no change in anything else.

Thank you

Comment

Home Depot (and I would think others) carries a product to seal and protect Granite and other types of stone tile installations. We put black granite in our foyer and faced the old brick fire place with it.

We were instructed to seal both sides of the granite before installation because the adhesive has been known to bleed through on some occasions. Not sure if that is true or not, but the guy who did the installation agreed. Frankly, the stuff looks like water to me and I wasn't particularly impressed.

But, the point is that there are products out there to seal and clean the granite surface. Check the floor care products area.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I think others on this forum had suggested using Simple Green all purpose cleaner to clean the top. That's what I used and it seemed to work fine. I also waxed it with Johnson's paste wax, including the miter slots after I had sanded and cleaned them.

I had thought about sealing it too. Using the water test, where you put a few drops of water onto the granite and see if it soaks in, my top definitely soaked in the water quickly, so should be sealed if I wanted to keep it from staining. I think the paste wax is doing a satisfactory job of protection and I'm not terribly concerned about staining so I'll just wait and see.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
              I think others on this forum had suggested using Simple Green all purpose cleaner to clean the top. That's what I used and it seemed to work fine. I also waxed it with Johnson's paste wax, including the miter slots after I had sanded and cleaned them.

I had thought about sealing it too. Using the water test, where you put a few drops of water onto the granite and see if it soaks in, my top definitely soaked in the water quickly, so should be sealed if I wanted to keep it from staining. I think the paste wax is doing a satisfactory job of protection and I'm not terribly concerned about staining so I'll just wait and see.

Dave
              I dripped Poly and Glue on the granite. It scrapped off effortlessly. With my finger nail.Past wax seems to prevent soaking in.

Buck

Comment

I used new Nu Finish car finish to polished the granite and miter and my sanded PVC fence. These surface are now like ice, with the granite being the smoothest. There actually is a warning on their web page not to use it on floors. The product is silicon based.

If you are concerned with appearance, i would not recommend Nu Finish however, it seems bring out more contrast in the granite and the color changes by the amount of product put on(not the case with cars however). Aka you need to be steady and even in application. I also had some streaking. I have not tried to buff it out yet. I will probably put on another coat in 30 days, like the instructions say to, and evaluate to buff or not to buff.

Comment

The problem with using a silcone based product on wood working equipment is if it tranfers to your project parts....you can have one heck of a time putting on a finish (won't stick to it)

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                    The problem with using a silcone based product on wood working equipment is if it tranfers to your project parts....you can have one heck of a time putting on a finish (won't stick to it)
                    +1.

Red
                    Red

Comment

+ 2.

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        Home Depot (and I would think others) carries a product to seal and protect Granite and other types of stone tile installations. We put black granite in our foyer and faced the old brick fire place with it.

We were instructed to seal both sides of the granite before installation because the adhesive has been known to bleed through on some occasions. Not sure if that is true or not, but the guy who did the installation agreed. Frankly, the stuff looks like water to me and I wasn't particularly impressed.

But, the point is that there are products out there to seal and clean the granite surface. Check the floor care products area.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                        Seal BOTH sides of the granite? Thinset or mastics generally don't stick to sealer well --more or less one of the points a sealer. I mention this because you really don't want to seal the underside. In addition to discouraging adhesion, the sealer fills the pores of the stone. You want your thinset to bleed into the pores, further enhancing the bond.

Right now I'm working n a project where I have to preseal a stone floor medallion so that the grout won't stain it. The manufacturer of the grout is telling me to keep the sealer out of the grout spaces becasue the grout (similar to thinset) won't stick well if the sealer gets in there!

Because the area is large, your granite will likely stick, but it's not going to be as good of a bond. Usually, bleeding is a concern with light colored stone, and for that specific application you should use white thinset. With normal grey thinset on black granite, I can't see why you would have a problem.

As for the Nu Finish..... another very strong vote against. Never use silicone on woodworking tools. In fact, never use silicone in the VICINITY of woodworking stuff. Silicones are transferable via air and will settle on and contaminate about anything.

If you need to remove silicone, go to an auto paint specialty store and buy silicone, wax and grease remover. PPG's version of this is "DX-330". Use a LOT of the liquid and a LOT of paper towelling, changing the paper often. Then toss the remaining Nu Finish!! Nu Finish and other mostly silicone products IMO shouldn't even be used on cars. They look nice, but make potential problems for any paint repairs in the future.

The granite guys I used for my kitchen and bath counters and shower walls clean the stone with acetone. Obviously, you have to be very careful because if the acetone drips it may attack paint. If you use this on kitchen granite, and you drip on your cabinets.... oh, very bad. So be careful. But it cleans the stone nicely.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X