Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS3650 arbor -- how about a free blade?!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 arbor -- how about a free blade?!!

I think RIDGID should send everyone who has a defective arbor one of their new "titanium" saw blades for free!!!

How about it, RIDGID?
    - Toolfreak

Now that's just plain cruel, Toolfreak.

I'd rather pay for the blade and have them include a the complimentary

!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1/4" !!!!!!!!!!

PROFESSIONAL class arbor at some point.

Comment

What precedent is there for making such a request? Manufacturers recall or replace defective product all the time but none that I know of give you a free gift. At their option, they either correct the problem or refund your money.
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Toolfreak - sorry but in your absence I said...

BadgerDave - Not portending to speak for Toolfreak - this is just a wild guess in his absence and I hope he'll be back to speak for himself, but while we wait - I'm guessing Toolfreak may have been lending a little comic relief just then.

I'm not sure anyone here entertains very seriously the likelihood that a corporation would value their customers' time that much. Certainly not as much as corps like to believe unused inventory can always be made to have some value.

Didn't a few people here already mention how good it was for Ridgid not to have more than a single Service Center for up to 3+ Home Depot stores in some locales?

Comment

Toolfreak - sorry but in your absence I said...

BadgerDave - Not portending to speak for Toolfreak - this is just a wild guess in his absence and I hope he'll be back to speak for himself, but while we wait - I'm guessing Toolfreak may have been lending a little comic relief just then.

I'm not sure anyone here entertains very seriously the likelihood that a corporation would value their customers' time that much. Certainly not as much as corps like to believe unused inventory can always be made to have some value.

Didn't a few people here already mention how good it was for Ridgid not to have more than a single Service Center for up to 3+ Home Depot stores in some locales?

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
            What precedent is there for making such a request? Manufacturers recall or replace defective product all the time but none that I know of give you a free gift. At their option, they either correct the problem or refund your money.
            Point taken. However, considering it's a 300-pound saw that we're talking about and I had to transport it myself and drive an hour each way to the service center (twice!!!), I feel they should do something to compensate me. If we were talking about a new washing machine, they would have sent a repairman to ME, not the other way around.

Good thing it wasn't a cabinet saw I bought from them!
            - Toolfreak

Comment

Toolfreak,

First of all let me say that I'm in total agreement with you that TTI/RIDGID should be swapping out these defective arbors at the owners homes. The owners of the 3650's didn't create this problem and shouldn't be asked to jump through hoops to have their saws made right. Taking a 287lb saw, considerably less if you only bring in the saw cabinet portion, into a Service Center is obviously not a one man job but having a Service Tech replace the arbor at the saw owners home is.

However right or wrong that it is though, the reality is that the industry standard is that its the buyers responsibility to bring a defective product in for servicing. Unfortunately, as long as TTI/RIDGID is in compliance with industry standards then they are no worse or better than any other manufacturer in requiring that the buyer bear the responsibility of transporting the saw to the Service Center.
              I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

badgerdave -

That would hold true if the saw had been manufatctured to industry standards. I mean, it'd be a two way street right?

Don't you think the onus in this case, a case where an obvious defect is now being remedied already, would normally induce most companies to relax the transportation policy? I guess you're saying that, but then you seem to be supporting the converse at the same time.

I was also wondering if you had an opinion on how many Home Depot stores on average are or should be assigned or contracted to any single service center.

Thanks

Comment

A 287 lb item is a fixture not a portable tool. With all due respect I think that anything that weighs this much should be serviced where its at. And doubly so if it is a warranty issue. A water heater does not even weigh that much yet it has its warranties done on site.

pardon my ignorance but I am just beginning the planning stages of a very large carpentry project that I intend to do my self and its why am in a wood working section. But I assume this item you talk about holds the blade in place on a stationary table saw? It is possible that I may be in the market for one of these shortly and its why i am curious.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

It's a good saw for the money if HD can assure you the one you are getting has the corrected arbor.

Comment

Hi. I just purchased this saw, and luckily found this forum before setting it up. I printed out RSHugger's 'lessons learned', and picked up all the thick washers needed to make the legs more stable. Now I'm ready to begin...

But, how do I know if I have a defective arbor? I've been disabled for 8 years now and getting around isn't always so easy. To get this saw into my garage I had to open up the box while still in my SUV and carry it out piece by piece. I don't relish the thought of having to haul it somewhere else now...
                      ~~Spunky-Monkey~~ <br /> [i]...just monkeyin\' around with wood.[-i]

Comment

Here are pix of the old arbor on the right and the new on the left.

Jerry

[ 03-12-2005, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]
                        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Hey Steel....,
                          Am I looking at the missing thread near the base of the shaft, nest to the flange as the defect? Wouldn't this present a problem with blade stability and spinning off-center from the get-go? I ask because I've had my saw for about 6 months but haven't had the blade off. I don't feel any problem but would I necessarily? I guess that I had better pull the blade a be sure.
                          TIA,
                          Chiz
                          Later,
                          Chiz
                          https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

To make an extremely loooong story short, you won't experience any problems with either arbor design when only one blade is installed on the saw. It's when a stacked dado blade is being used that the problem arises.

For further explanations on this subject, use the Search feature using "3650 arbor problem" as your search subject.

Comment

Yea, I did the search thing, Dave, and was returning to say, "Forget about my post. I found ALL the info that I need".
                              Later,
                              Chiz
                              Later,
                              Chiz
                              https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
                              X