X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 season room

No forum for building construction or remodeling, so I'll ask this here.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with installing a pre-fab (kit)
    3 season room on a deck?

If you have one, how long and how is it holding up?

Also, what is your climate compared to me (New Jersey)?

What are the pros and cons of the various materials available?

LOML would like to close in part of that huge deck we have, about a 16x16 area, which would still leave over 1200 sf of open deck.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: 3 season room

I did a 3 season prefab room on a deck for a client in Connecticut. It was 15 X 15, built on the deck with access through a glass slider. With the slider open, enough heat or a/c got out there to keep the room habitable through 4 seasons. I wouldn't hesitate to do another if the opportunity presented itself.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Our winters are not normally as bad as CT so that is good to hear, might be usable into late December which is when we start to see the average temp hanging in the 30s & 40s during the day. It is a fiarly sunny spot so should see some solar gain till mid-afternoon.

What problems did you run into during assembly? Were all the pieces fabbed to the correct lengths, short on fateners, pieces damaged in shipment (is it well packaged to mitigate damage)? Was it an aluminum frame, vinyl over wood, or some other material?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

We ordered a prefab kit from Omni in Oskosh Wisconsin. Nothing was damaged in transit. All the specified parts, (some custom stuff) were properly labeled and packaged. They (Omni) stress getting the layout square, measuring the diagonals. Keep everything plumb level and square and it should be a breeze to put up. We had to tie into the existing roof, (the roof overhung the deck), but the company will make anything you want to fit into the area you are going to install it. The exterior of the panels were vinyl and well insulated, I don't know what the core material was but it drilled like aluminum.

Comment

Working...
        X