Reasons Why I am Unloading Ridgid WW Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daveferg:
    Badger----point being----HD is the EXCLUSIVE dealer.
    No Dave, they're not. They may be the only place that anyone will find them for less than MSRP but any RIDGID Distributor can order and sell these tools.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

"you'll be all set for the next 25 years or so" DaveFerg

It's a $600 Table Saw. Does everything in Woodworking have to be handed down to offspring/the next generation/etc.,

My $1500 laptop when 4 years old will be sold, probably for a pittance, and I'll get the Latest & Greatest. Why is a relatively cheap tablesaw so sacrosanct?

Don't like it, can't get spares, don't like the color...sell it, move on...

David

Comment

Cutbuff,
        Probably because a 25 year old table saw will do as good a job as a new one. A 25 year old computer will not. I have two 40 year old circular saws that work as well as when new. Except for the blade, nothing needed changing or fixing.
        Also there is the expectation that a good tool will last a lifetime with minimal care. Computers need care and sometimes it is cheaper to buy new than repair.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Sorry to disagree with Mr Daveberg, but HD is the exclusive dealer for Ridgid "Woodworking Tools". I have a friend who is a manager for a Fastenal store which carries and is a distributor of Ridgid. He was told he would have to buy from HD, he could not order Woodworking tools direct from Ridgid. I am surprised that the animosity toward Ridgid is still festering, I thought it had been put to bed and that I could reume learning at the collective knees of the experts who frequent this forum.

Comment

Badger Dave---well, apparently they are exclusive Look, you're spitting hairs. I wouldn't care about Delta service centers either---there's only one near me----almost a 3 hour drive away----Would have to agree that if they can step up and have self-checkouts, they can at least support their tools a touch better.

Cutbuff----I'm sorry, but totally agree with Rafael----technology in tools doesn't change that much----Sears tried to introduce a bunch of electronic tools---they fell flat on their faces----people want the basics---and as to passing it down----heck, I plan on being around a while, so I just want my own 25 years.
            Dave

Comment

David, that is a very intriguing concept you bring to light, I cannot think of another hobby where myself or anyone else I know does not hesitate to pay out more cash every couple of years to update their equipment (usually exceeding the price of a table saw). What drives the mindset that our tools must be of sufficient quality to survive decades of use? Why do the majority of us analyze a tool acquisition to the extent that this particular purchase must possess all the features we may ever desire in our life time?

Woodslayer

Comment

Pwsdave,
                What do you have and what prices are you un-loading them at?
                Could be some good deals here!
                Your from the Inland Empire, close enough to make a deal (I own a rental out there)
                If they break, I'll fix them myself as I'm handy that way.
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,Ca.

[ 10-17-2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
                Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Woodslayer---I can tell you why I buy tools that are not throw-aways----i.e. designed to last. Very simple---the well-built tool is also the tool that tends to give me the most accurate results. I've owned cheap jig saws and routers and believe me, you'll end up fighting the tool to do anything like quality work. The stock Craftsman (Emerson) table saw was really bad---really bad fence, pulleys and belt that added to the vibration, but it had a good motor and table structure that allowed me to add improvements over the years. Sure, you can cut wood with cheaper saws, but you'll be fighting poor fences, etc.

I would guess the "last a lifetime" attitude came from the fact that woodworking has been around as a hobby for at least 8 decades, and there was just a tendancy to buy good tools and take care of them. And yes, I buy a new computer every 5 years, but it's kind of hard to compare the two.
                  Dave

Comment

There is a male psychology issue with tools versus almost every other possession, probably including the wife & kids!

The hot tub I have in my garden will be left when I move house. I will have no feelings whatsoever about it. It cost more than the combined cost of everything in the workshop! But to sell or leave a table saw, a router, a random orbit sander...agggghhh...the anguish.

We must have the very best tools that money can buy, just like the professionals. How many of you out there drive new Mercedes, BMW's versus bog standard Fords, GM's, Chryslers? After all their only 2x - 3x more expensive. You'd pay that percentage differential for a Unisaw over a Ridgid wouldn't you. Or for a Bies fence/rails over the Ridgid fence/rails...$275 vs $150.

Is there a Psycologist out there that can provide insight into this phenomenon!!

David

Comment

The few times we've had a garage sale, there is always someone who will come up and ask if I have any tools for sale! Sell my tools---never! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think it's pretty hard to compare table saws and cars----while I have seen table saw owners take pride in the brand they bought----this is a drop in the bucket compared to car buyers who buy for prestiege.

But, buying tools to last, as I said earlier, is still completely different than other hobbies/interests. We're used to buying new computers because there's been such radical changes in software, memory, and speed---but, how much has really changed in an electric drill or table saw? So, if a table saw blade turns at 3400 rpm and you have flat surfaces and an accurate fence/miter gauge, a model 5 years down the road is likely to have very little to offer you.
                      Dave

Comment

How many of you out there drive new Mercedes, BMW's versus bog standard Fords, GM's, Chryslers?

Wellllllll...... Pardon the gloat, I drive one of these.

And I have a Ridgid TS2424. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

And will you keep the small Merc or the lowly TS2424 for 25 years, and hand it down to whomever??

David

Comment

Hand it down----he's having his body perfectly aligned with the Incra fence, before he gets buried in his Merc'
                            Dave

Comment

And will you keep the small Merc...for 25 years
                              Nope.

or the lowly TS2424 for 25 years
                              Harder question to answer. Probably not though. Doubt that I will upgrade to a cabinet saw, but format sliders are very attractive to me.

Dave

Comment

I hope my tools won't last 25 years. What fun would that be? I'd settle for a good 10 years worth of quality use.

...I guess I just diminished my previous arguments regarding the former RIDGID's LIFETIME warranty. I hate when I do that! I just kicked my own ***.
                                keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Working...
                                X