• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave A,

What's a "format slider"??

David

Comment

The ones where the sliding table comes right up to the blade, are format sliding tables. As opposed, say, to a sliding table added to a U.S. type saw, where the table is a long way from the blade.

Haven't the faintest clue why they are called that...

Dave

Comment

getting back to what greg said a few days ago regarding ridgid's cervice warranty. I think that home depot should be a service center for ridgid tools since they are the exclusive dealer. Now the deal with home depot is that they DO NOT LIKE TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER UNHAPPY! If you are to push the right buttons you can jsut get your ridgid tool serviced at the HD. I took my ridgid miter saw in after 2 years of use. I complained that they are the exclusive dealer and ridgid has the lifetime warranty. They just gave me a new saw to replace my old one. NO questions were asked.
        You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

Do you guys think this "lifetime" warranty is going to be a nightmare for Rigid? Seems to me that already there is a huge outcry due to a lack of anything resembling customer service/tool repair. You'd think that any company that would launch such an expansive new line of "industrial quality" tools would have thought about how to repair them. Did the R&D team even go onto jobsites in order to see what happens to tools there?
          I like the look/idea of these tools, but are they really THAT good?

Comment

First----I'm willing to cut OWT/Ridgid a little slack in re-establishing their network of service centers, though from comments I've read, it's a bit bumpy now.

But, as to the lifetime warranty---first, on the new "industrial" tools, the warranty line I read said "normal" use---that may exclude commercial/contractor use---just a possibility as it's used with other brands. Second, I'm sure some beancounter has figured out what percentage of customers will loose their receipts---which they clearly need for the warranty.

As to service centers, I agree with Measure Once'. Since HD is the exclusive retail outlet (I don't really care that existing service centers sell the tools), they could at least have their customer service desk set up to make quick orders of parts, of to let you drop off tools for service. I worked for Radio Shack and you could bring in a Radio Shack item to any store and they'd send it in for service work for you----ya, it would take forever, but it was convienent.
            Dave

Comment

one of the reasons i bought my ridgid tools was because of the lifetime warranty. but not because i thought i would need it,,,,it was because they offered it. when it comes to a power tool, the longer the warranty offered...the less likely you will need it. this is a true measure of quality in my opinion
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

[sarcasm]yeah. those long warranties on K-cars were an indication of their quality.[/sarcasm]

Comment

Read the fine print fellas - the "Lifetime Warranty" has some exceptions. If the tool fails because of a manufacturer's defect than of course Ridgid will replace it. Just like any other tool company. But the idea that "contractor use" would void the warranty.. well isn't this supposed to be a contractors tool? This sounds like someone who claims to be tough, but is afraid to play with the big boys.

Comment

Just like any other tool company.

Ummm......

Dave

Comment

I guess I started this messy discussion-just got back intown so decided to see what comments were posted-sofar which I am sorry to say I expected no comment from Ridgid. As for the request from Rob in Orange, my neighbor-I think he was on drugs at the time is weekly/monthly purchasing everything-good thing he's moving to NE, after the first of the year.
                      Let me be real clear about this, I made a substantial investment 4 years ago in Ridgid tools, bandsaw, TS, Jointer, Drill press, thickness planer, sanding station and chopsaw, due in large part to my previous experience dealing with not only Ridgid but my dealings with Emerson (parent company) over the years, to say that I am sorely disappointed is an understatement. Most of my power handtools are either DeWalt or PC and they get used alot, In both instances when I went to their service centers, the issues were dealt with promptly and with relatively no hassle, I cannot say that for Ryobi, I literally threw an almost brand new Ryobi Router in the trash because I could not get it serviced and HD would not replace it. Due to it's age I do not feel HD will replace my planer if they would I'd return it in a moment, but then what do I have, a Ryobi, no thanks. What I can I will replace with DeWalt, and or Jet and it's to bad because I was a very loyal Ridgid user-customer.

Bye the bye, do I make my living with these tools no I do not, but nightly, after work I am in the garage using them. I actually make my living in sales and marketing so I do understand the importance of GOOD CUSTOMER RELATIONS, interestingly, Ridgid lost a bandsaw sale due to the poor response I received and I never said a word to the buyer, he just over heard how difficult it was for me to get the service I needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X