This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

I believe I remember reading a prior post somewhere that they use a special dye that collects in any micro-cracks. A Google search turned up the following: First a special cleaner prepares the surface. Then the dye penetrant is sprayed on and seeps into any cracks, pits, or other surface irregularities. After it dries, a developer is sprayed on and reveals any concentrations of the dye, such as a crack line. Some kits use either visible light and others ultraviolet light for detection.

Comment

Poor man's magnaflux.

The dye penetrant method is commonly used on engine heads to detect fractures during an engine rebuild. I have no experience with it on threaded parts. But, I do want to know what method they are employing (as I know that the service center they are working with here in my area that is to do my repair would not be any better qualified than the average saw user to perform the test). I do want to qualify this...I have not been told they are going to test anyting on my saw. I have only been told a "kit" was shipped to do the repair. I have yet to be contacted to schedlue the repair.
      Last edited by tomapple; 08-25-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

After three attempts with Ridgid reps and being told no one would come to service my saw I finally got a call-back yesterday with some hope. After she finally figured out where I live she made some more call to service centers and called back stating that one would come to my home. She Fed-Xed them a 'kit' and gave me the name and number of the business owner to ensure they get back to me when the 'kit' is received. I sure hope this works and I don't have to hassle with HD and assemble and tune another one of these monsters (or wind up with a bad top of fence).

Keeping my fingers crossed,
        Big G

Comment

Well, it's over.

My Home Depot and Jamal couldn't have been more accommodating. There was simply a miss communication and it was cleared up between Ridgid and the Beaumont Texas Home Depot this morning before I even got there.

You want a new saw you can get a new saw, free delivery the works, no money needs to change hands. One problem, they didn't have one in stock after all because, you guessed it, the two they had were in the recall group and will have to be sent back. They are getting more in soon and I could have had the first one off the truck. They couldn't guarantee when but they thought they would get some in within a couple of weeks.

After deliberation I'm going to go ahead and get a bigger saw so I got a refund. This is just a personal decision and no reflection on HD or Ridgid. I planned to get a bigger saw eventually so why not go ahead and get it now since I've got to put a saw together and tune it anyway.

Bottom line. I am convinced that HD and Ridgid are going to make this right. They can't assemble your saw for you if you end up with a new one, but you probably don't want that anyway. If you are in service range and you want a new arbor shaft rather than just an inspection just tell them that and they'll do that.

I'm still a Ridgid fan. If they had a 3 horse table saw with a riving knife I'd get it.

Comment

I'm glad to hear.

I really believe ridgid will make this right for everyone if they can hang in there and get past a handful of idiots.

I talked to a guy in the tool department at HD yesterday and he didn't even know what the TS4511 was, they don't have any at that location, much less that it had been recalled.

Comment

I had the same experience this morning with my HD. I was going to see the manager and called first to tell him I was on my way, and he told me I could come if I wanted to but they had already ordered a saw from another store and will bring the new one out and pick up mine.

Like Frank I was debating on upgrading since I was going to have to assemble and tune once again, but think I'll stick with the R4511 for now mainly because it meets the needs for the stock I rip, which is mostly panel goods, 2x construction lumber, and some 3/4 hardwoods.

If I find I get into 8/4 hardwoods on a steady basis then I'll probably need a stronger unit, but for now I will sit on what I have as I do like the saw and its perfect for my shop size.

Comment

I called Ridgid this morning, spoke with Gregory and he set me up with a service center about 50 miles away. Said he is sending the parts kit and the service man will call me when the parts are in and will set up an appointment to come out and work on my saw. Don't know what the fuss is all about, went pretty smooth for me. I like the saw and don't have any reason to upgrade to a more expensive unit. So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHunter View Post
                  I called Ridgid this morning, spoke with Gregory and he set me up with a service center about 50 miles away. Said he is sending the parts kit and the service man will call me when the parts are in and will set up an appointment to come out and work on my saw. Don't know what the fuss is all about, went pretty smooth for me. I like the saw and don't have any reason to upgrade to a more expensive unit. So far so good.
                  I think the fuss is going to go away soon. I think there was just a whole lot of @!#!@#$!@#$!@# going on right at the beginning of the recall, while Ridgid puts all the plans in place.

Hopefully we'll see a lot more "its fixed and that was easy!" posts fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                    I think the fuss is going to go away soon. I think there was just a whole lot of @!#!@#$!@#$!@# going on right at the beginning of the recall, while Ridgid puts all the plans in place.

Hopefully we'll see a lot more "its fixed and that was easy!" posts fairly soon.
                    OK, I'll be the first. "It's fixed, and that was easy".

I did actually get a new arbor put in it today. Went a little different than the 24 page instructions Ridgid has for the repair, but only took about 45 min. Saw runs like a top!!

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                      OK, I'll be the first. "It's fixed, and that was easy".

I did actually get a new arbor put in it today. Went a little different than the 24 page instructions Ridgid has for the repair, but only took about 45 min. Saw runs like a top!!
                      Were you able to watch what they did?

Did they inspect the arbor first, or just replace?

Im REALLY hoping the defects are really only in that range of date codes. I stand even farther to the left of my saw blade now

Comment

Originally posted by frank2007 View Post
                        Well, it's over.

My Home Depot and Jamal couldn't have been more accommodating. There was simply a miss communication and it was cleared up between Ridgid and the Beaumont Texas Home Depot this morning before I even got there.

You want a new saw you can get a new saw, free delivery the works, no money needs to change hands. One problem, they didn't have one in stock after all because, you guessed it, the two they had were in the recall group and will have to be sent back. They are getting more in soon and I could have had the first one off the truck. They couldn't guarantee when but they thought they would get some in within a couple of weeks.

After deliberation I'm going to go ahead and get a bigger saw so I got a refund. This is just a personal decision and no reflection on HD or Ridgid. I planned to get a bigger saw eventually so why not go ahead and get it now since I've got to put a saw together and tune it anyway.

Bottom line. I am convinced that HD and Ridgid are going to make this right. They can't assemble your saw for you if you end up with a new one, but you probably don't want that anyway. If you are in service range and you want a new arbor shaft rather than just an inspection just tell them that and they'll do that.

I'm still a Ridgid fan. If they had a 3 horse table saw with a riving knife I'd get it.
                        Must be nice to have been taking care of. When I called Ridgid last week they told me just to take it to HD for a replacement since the service center wouldn't come out ( and wasn't nearby). I get to HD "They say What Recall?" She calls Ridgid and speaks to someone who can't pull up my claim file. They tell HD the only thing they can do is to send it out for repair. Now I bet it'll be 3-4 weeks before I see it, let alone it will be missing some of the pieces since I had to disassemble most of it to get it there.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                          Were you able to watch what they did?

Did they inspect the arbor first, or just replace?

Im REALLY hoping the defects are really only in that range of date codes. I stand even farther to the left of my saw blade now
                          Here's how it all went down.

First let me say this was a concerted effort between me and the "authorized service center" repair person. I bought this saw used, so I did not have the option of returning it for a refund or new saw. Therefore, it is my "baby", and I take responsibility for the mechanics on it.

* The kit includes a 13/16 slug to represent the full dado thickness possible. the nut is then screwed on and checked to some torque spec using a torque wrench. My threads didn't break, but since my saw was one of the listed recall numbers, I insisted on a new arbor. The kit also has the shaft with new front bearing pressed on, new jam nut, wavy washer, and shims for the top.

* The top WAS NOT removed.
                          * Side motor cover was removed for clearance.
                          * Arbor was tilted to 45*.
                          * Jam nut, pulley, key, and spacer were removed from back end of shaft.
                          * Two jaw bearing puller was used to push shaft out the front side. I had figured this right. The back bearing is a slip fit, the front is pressed onto the shaft, and also a press fit into the front casting.
                          * Area cleaned of all dust, etc.
                          * New shaft with a new bearing already pressed on slid into place using the existing wavy washer, as the new one supplied was undersized. Figures. (The wavy washer was placed in the bearing housing first, then the shaft with the long spacer placed in position).
                          * Ridgid says to use the back jam nut to pull the shaft into place. A better idea I feel was used by taking the 2 jaw puller and pushing the shaft back in that way. The forces are then being equaled out on the front casting.
                          * Once the shaft was pressed in, it was a simple act of replacing the back spacer, key, pulley, and jam nut. The new shaft has a slot for the key instead of a long groove running out to the end of the shaft. This is a stronger method. Then the motor cover was put back on, and it's all history.

I made a zero clearance throat plate when I first got the saw, and the new arbor seems to have moved the blade a thou or 2 to the right. Pretty close tolerances in my book. Throat plate still works fine.

You also get a nice little sticker to place above the data plate that says "Arbor Inspected".

I guess that's about it.

Comment

Interesting, I wonder what the torque amount is.

I dont want to break my saw for no reason, but I wonder how they can even come up with a torque amount? Im sure some people torque the nut more than others.

And I kinda figured it wasnt how tight the dado was on, rather the downward force put against the arbor while it was in use that would eventually cause the arbor to crack.

Comment

I missed what the torque value was supposed to be. As the repair person is supposed to perform this check first, I believe Ridgid has stated that if the shaft doesn't break, it does not need to be replaced. If that is true, that is pure crap. You gotta wonder what is going to happen to all those returned saws: "shaft didn't break when I torqued it boss, ship it."

Comment

Or even worse if they try the torque test, it passes, they dont replace the arbor because of it, and then someone gets hurt because it DOES fail.

You would think they would make sure that torque test really does indicate it wont fail. Perhaps its some insane torque amount.

Did he hold the arbor in one hand while torquing with the other? or did they have something to hold the arbor in place? I bet if he had to use something to hold the arbor in place while torquing, its a pretty high torque amount.

Comment

Working...
                                X