This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: R4511 Table Saw Recall Notice

I wonder if the OP for this thread jumped the gun by posting the recall. When I called Ridgid the next morning, their customer service and tech support hadn't even been given a heads up on this. They were going into meetings as I was on the phone with them. I am sure though, that the big cheeses knew all about this for some time.
    Youz guyz are never happy, I see now why they never post anything official here, you (and I mean collectively, not the individual who made this comment, or any of the others who posted similar comments) just are never satisfied.

I have no inside knowledge but it seems to me that the intent was to give us what we have asked for in the past and that was some heads up/early notice of important issues that affect us all such as a recall or new product announcement. Looking at it from outside, it would seem the intent was to get the safety warning out to their loyal customers and forum members when the first opportunity presented itself. They of course can not just haphazardly post about this, it has to be 'approved' and the proper language used, etc. Yes, they have legal issues to deal with but still they made an effort to let the people here know as soon as they could. AND YOU BEAT THEM UP FOR DOING SO.

Why?

I can understand commenting that it would have been nice if the CS people and HD were up to speed on this but in the grand scheme of things it will not be on the top of the list at the morning meeting at every HD across the country the day after the announcement is made here.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I will call my repairman tomorrow to see what the torque spec was. For the small cost of these replacement shafts, and the payment structure they are paying him (I saw the document) for the service call, it should be a no brainer to just go ahead and replace the shaft, especially now that they are having to buy back all these saws. I will wager that this service reimbursement was figured out before they realized that hardly anybody was going to make house calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Youz guyz are never happy, I see now why they never post anything official here, you (and I mean collectively, not the individual who made this comment, or any of the others who posted similar comments) just are never satisfied.

I have no inside knowledge but it seems to me that the intent was to give us what we have asked for in the past and that was some heads up/early notice of important issues that affect us all such as a recall or new product announcement. Looking at it from outside, it would seem the intent was to get the safety warning out to their loyal customers and forum members when the first opportunity presented itself. They of course can not just haphazardly post about this, it has to be 'approved' and the proper language used, etc. Yes, they have legal issues to deal with but still they made an effort to let the people here know as soon as they could. AND YOU BEAT THEM UP FOR DOING SO.

Why?

I can understand commenting that it would have been nice if the CS people and HD were up to speed on this but in the grand scheme of things it will not be on the top of the list at the morning meeting at every HD across the country the day after the announcement is made here.
        Bob D,

I applaud the OP for this original posting announcement on the recall. But don't you think it is a little odd that someone in Marketing would post a statement form the CPSC, and not an official statement from Ridgid, One World Tech, TTI, (or whoever they call themselves) before Customer Service was fully apprised of the situation? I know I do, but I am kind of skeptical by nature anyway. Bad character trait.

I can understand HD not being brought up to speed on this within the first few days, but it seems people are still having issues with HD over this. Since they are the only seller of these saws, I would think that Ridgid Corp. would have gotten things squared away with HD Corp. by now, and that game plan would have been sent to all their stores. That's just my take on it. YMMV.

Comment

I guess the skeptical side of me doesn't expect HD to get anything right all that quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
            I would be most interested in knowing what "test" they perform to determine if the arbor is faulty.
            A quick and easy way would be to use a torque wrench with a way to apply a bending force on all four axis to the end of the arbor. Ridgid engineering would have to determine what the force needs to be.
            Seen ex-ray tech on interstate gas gas line but don't know about arbors?

Buck

Comment

I just called Ridgid and it only took 11 minutes. She then called me back within 5 minutes and gave me all the contact information of the repair company that will come out and fix it. I'm just waiting on them to set an appointment. They are 80 miles away. I can't see them traveling all that to come here and after reading other posts, they may just tell me to return it to HD. We'll see what happens.

Red
              Red

Comment

Hey Cactus, that is good news that they say they have some repair people going out. I couldn't believe that there was one 30 miles from me in Rocky Mount and they wouldn't come out.

However, that was the story I got from 3 cust. service reps, and so I called my HD manager and he told me he would take care of it with Ridgid and ordered a saw from another store and will send a truck to get mine and drop off the new one.

Though I don't have it yet, if all that occurs then fair enough by me, even though I'm not looking forward to assembling and tuning, least it should go faster this time and I will have more peace of mind running the unit.

Comment

They haven't called yet to say they will come out. So far it has been Ridgid calling to say the service company has my info. Time will tell as to what happens from here.

Red
                  Red

Comment

Cactus,

You need to call Ridgid customer service again.

The experience has been that IF the repair folks are willing to come out...Ridgid ships them the parts "kit" needed to do the repair...when they received the parts THEN the repair people will call you to schedule a repair.

You need to have Ridgid contact the repair company to verify first that they are willing to come out. Otherwise...you are just wasting your time and should be having Ridgid contact your closest HD to arrange a saw swap.

Tom

Comment

Cactus,

You need to call Ridgid customer service again.

The experience has been that IF the repair folks are willing to come out...Ridgid ships them the parts "kit" needed to do the repair...when they received the parts THEN the repair people will call you to schedule a repair.

You need to have Ridgid contact the repair company to verify first that they are willing to come out. Otherwise...you are just wasting your time and should be having Ridgid contact your closest HD to arrange a saw swap.

Tom

What Ridgid said is that the service company will call me within 2 days and that they are shipping out the repair kit. If I don't hear from them by Friday afternoon, I will call them. I'm willing to wait two days. Any more than that, I will be talking to HD. I'm not worried yet.

Red
                      Red

Comment

I heard about the recall late on Tuesday the 18th. I then checked RidgidForum and SawMillCreek.org to confirm it was not a hoax

I called One World Technologies (Ridgid) on Wednesday the 19th around at 8:23 in the morning and talked to Maria. They said they knew about the recall and found that there was a service center in Lake Forest (about 10-15 miles away). They couldn’t contact the service center because the service center was not open until 9am. They said that they would call them and then get back to me on a time for someone to come on-site. No call back.

I called One World Technologies (Ridgid) again on Monday the 24th around 10am. Different operator this time (don’t remember her name). She called the service center and found that there was no one available for an on-site repair. She told me my choices were to bring the part in (yuck) to a service center or talk to Home Depot about exchanging the saw. If I chose to bring the part in, I would have to call them back so they could send the repair part to the service center. I selected to talk to Home Depot.

So, after work I went into Home Depot, explained my situation to the service desk as succinctly as I could knowing that I would probably have to explain it again to a manager. Called that one right. She paged for a manager. While waiting for the manager, she looked up my special order for the saw (Feb 14, 2009 for $539) and found that it had a 0 qty.

I explained the 0 qty might be because of the deal they had were you spend $1000 and get $300 back. I was within my 90 days of purchase, so I went into the store and did a paper return and buy back of the saw, ordered a Delta 50-760, and picked up a Makita worm drive circular saw (on sale) to get to the $1000 level. Total cost to me since I already bought the saw was $166 for the worm drive circular saw and the dust collector (gloat).

She found the other transaction pretty quickly and determined that the original order was the number we would need to contact One World Technologies (Ridgid). Finally the manager arrived. I showed him the recall notice. He went to the recall board and couldn’t find it. I told him that the recall was from Aug 19th. He said that was too recent to be on the board. So, he check for it online and verified it. They tried to call One World Technologies (Ridgid), but they were already closed by this time. They said that they would call them tomorrow to verify and check to see if One World Technologies (Ridgid) is going to pay for the shipping from Home Depot to my house (because it’s heavy as you may have noticed), and that they would call me tomorrow.

Well around 3pm on the next day, I decided to call the manager back to check out my status. He said that they called One World Technologies (Ridgid) and were told that they would pay for shipping and I have to call Ridgid to set up for some to come out and pick up my saw for them to take and fix. It sounded like he got someone else than I did. So, I tried to call One World Technologies (Ridgid), but it was after their closing time of 2pm E.T. <SIGH>

I’ll try calling them again tomorrow.

Called Ridgid on 08-26-2009 at 11:06 and talked to Rhonda. Gave her all of my information, I guess I wasn’t in their system (but then again, I didn’t tell them this was my 3rd call either). She said that she (Rhonda) would call me back in 2 to 3 days to arrange someone to come over to the house and look at the arbor. If the arbor is not defective, they would put a sticker on it saying it has been approved or else they would have a spare arbor with them and would replace it. She also said that if I don’t hear from her after 2 to 3 days, to call back and ask for Rhonda.

3 calls with 3 different responses. Waiting again. (fingers crossed)

Comment

My local service guy just left. He was very polite and efficient. This was his first R4511 recall job. One World Technology had sent him a "testing kit" which consists of instructions, a puck-shaped metal spacer about 2 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch in thickness with a central hole so it can slide onto the arbor, a new arbor shaft nut, and a sticker that indicates the saw was tested.

He tested my arbor by placing the spacer on the arbor and securing it with the new nut. He then used my open end blade wrench to keep the arbor shaft from turning while he used a torque wrench to torque the nut to 50 foot pounds. No breakage. Then he removed the nut and spacer and placed an "arbor checked" sticker above my serial number tag.

His recall instructions tell him to leave the new nut with the customer. I called Ridgid up and they said the nut he left is just an extra one and there is nothing wrong with my old nut - I can use either one. He did state that his service company is paid $30 to come out and check the arbor and another $50 to make a second trip to replace the arbor, if needed.

I feel quite comfortable using the saw now. Since I don't torque my saw blades to even 1/10 of what was tested, I don't think I'll have any problems. Back to using my saw .
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DaveWoodWork; 08-27-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: Results from Ridgid about arbor nut

Comment

I wonder what would happen if someone with a saw not in the recall range tried to torque the arbor to 50 ft lbs *and it did break*.

Comment

He did state that his service company is paid $30 to come out and check the arbor and another $50 to make a second trip to replace the arbor, if needed.

Dave,

The repair guy didn't bring a new arbor with him?

Comment

The repair guy didn't bring a new arbor with him?
                                No he did not. When I initially spoke with Ridgid, they said they would send out a new arbor to the service center if my shaft tested as defective. The service guy did not look too happy at the prospect of replacing the arbor for $50. It only took a few minutes to perform the check since I already had my blade off and the access door open when he arrived.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X